Started by Mandle, Tue 16/06/2020 16:50:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

CASE #64

Justice Killer

Week One

The NYPD receive a letter:

Hello,

I am about to commit a series of murders upon those most deserving of such a fate:

The corrupt scum that feed upon the good people of our city.

This week I will strike down my first victim and this hint should help you identify this kill as one of mine, if you can figure out the code.

Yours Sincerely,
Justice Killer.

M P R D P W J
L O K J S J Y
N M U J Q H S
B L D R H J M
C J U B Y Z G
D X O F Q W L
G I J W B J A

Included in the letter is a map of New York City:

There are so many murders committed in New York over the course of a week, and so many of the victims matching the description of "corrupt", that it would be impossible to ascribe any particular victim's death to this fledgling serial-killer without first figuring out their hint.

Are you up to the job, Detective?

Mandle

Only one post per person before I update the thread each time please.

Only one guess at the code's meaning per post please, including your theory on the meaning. No brute-forcing allowed.

Posts that are just guesswork will be ignored without confirmation one way or the other.

Ian Aloser

Wow, you are surpassing each other !!
This is challenging and i give it a try.
Somehow reminds of the Zodiac Killer movie ….

As far as i can see on my smartphone’s
tiny display, all initial letters of the parks
( shown in green on the map ) are found
in the 7x7 letter matrix, except the "V"of Van Cortlandt Park,
which is where the first victim will be found

Mandle

Nothing found at that location.

CaptainD

Since there are 8 lines of text in the code, does that represent 8 murders?

Stupot

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 17/06/2020 13:49:06
Since there are 8 lines of text in the code, does that represent 8 murders?
I read it as being a clue for the first kill only, but I might be wrong.

Mandle

Laura Hunt

"Justice" is another word for "judge", so maybe the name "Justice Killer" is literally telling us he intends to murder a judge?

Mandle

Hello,

it's just a Jump to the left.

Yours Sincerely,
Justice Killer.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 17/06/2020 14:17:42

Hello,

it's just a Jump to the left.

Yours Sincerely,
Justice Killer.

Bushwick. That's where the murder will take place.

(take every J in the code and use the letter to the left of it).

heltenjon

Ok...good to know, having ROT-13'd around the alphabet, finding nothing.

"Justice Killers" is used as a term for corporations who try to get laws passed that free them from responsibility in various cases. But it may
just as well mean a judge, of course.

Google also tells me that mprd and pwj are actual companies from NYC. I hope the case doesn't involve real companies.

Laura Hunt

I'm not sure where this part of the riddle ends, though. Was "Bushwick" the whole code? Are we still missing something?

If we still need to figure something out, I thought that continuing with the RHPS reference, after a jump to the left comes a step to the right.

If we take the letter to the right of every J, we get S, Y, M, U, W, A, Q, but I have no idea what to do with this. I can form the words "quay", "sq" and "way", but nothing that makes sense with the remaining letters. So, probably a red herring...

heltenjon

If Laura is right that "after a [J]ump to the left comes a tep to the right", which sounds like a dance instruction, we should take the letters to the right of the S's. Which
are only two . J B. So...John the Baptist? The second victim killed at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine? It's so hard to know when we're reading too much into a code.
And admittedly, this may be a stretch.

Stupot

If the answer we’re looking for is simply a location, then surely Laura has solved it. Unless we need to ‘step to the left’ (or East) on the map, which would take us to Forest Park.

Are we still supposed to be guessing motives and stuff?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 18/06/2020 00:37:42
Are we still supposed to be guessing motives and stuff?

Thread closed for now while I prepare my next post.

EDIT: Thread now open again.

Mandle

CASE #64

Justice Killer

Week Two

Following the lead provided by Officer Laura Hunt, the murder victim of Justice Killer is indeed discovered. He was found dead in his own Bushwick apartment.
The victim was a lawyer who had, in the past, been publicly accused of bribing witnesses into providing false testimony.
He was found stabbed multiple times, with his own Oath Of Attorney pinned to his chest, with the knife, by the final thrust through his heart.
While forensic evidence is still under analysis and other leads are being followed, the NYPD receives another letter from the killer:

Hello,

I see from the newspapers that my first victim has been correctly identified by you noobs.

Good idea, not revealing my nickname to the press. I'm sure they'll come up with their own. I can't wait.

My second victim is in my sights, or maybe they are already dead.

I guess you'll find out if you can figure out my next puzzle.

I will be sending you no more hints until I see my puzzle, fully solved, in the newspaper.

Yours Sincerely,
Justice Killer.

Also included in the envelope is the following crossword puzzle:

Here is the map of New York City the police received in the first letter for ease of reference:
Spoiler

[close]

Mandle

The rules are a little different from the last round as I expect people may be collaborating on the puzzle.

Any discussion of the puzzle itself is freely allowed, as are theories about its overall meaning.

But potential solutions as to its overall meaning may be attempted only once per individual person between each of my own update posts.

From now on, please begin any attempted solution with "POTENTIAL SOLUTION:" in bold as shown here.

I will specifically mention when new potential solutions are allowed again by people who have just attempted one.

Myself merely answering a question about game rules etc. does not count as an official update.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING ANY ONLINE CROSSWORD PUZZLE SOLVERS OR THE LIKE. HONOR SYSTEM.

Stupot

I have some suggestions for the crossword clues:

5 down
Spoiler
MONSTROUS (clearly an anagram as the clue as no relation to the other clues)
[close]
10 down
Spoiler
ILL
[close]
11 down
Spoiler
HATE
[close]
12 across
Spoiler
LEECHES
[close]

(I also think I might have the solution already but I want to do more of the  crossword first)

Also, Mandle, would Googling types of pasta go against the honour system? I can’t think of any with 6 letters.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 18/06/2020 07:32:42
Also, Mandle, would Googling types of pasta go against the honour system? I can’t think of any with 6 letters.

That's fine. Only using a site to fill in all possible combinations of letters, a "crossword helper/solver", is not okay.

EDIT: To answer a question I received via PM asking if it was okay to post a solution attempt without having completed the entire cross-word first: Yes that is fine, but please mention your reasoning. Blind guesses are not okay and will be ignored. The police chief is not going to send out units on blind guesses.

lorenzo

1 Down:
Spoiler
The only kind of pasta 6 letters-long I can think of is "trofie". Or maybe "noodle" (shouldn't it be "noodles", though?).
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk