CTI: Crime Team Investigation

Started by Mandle, Tue 16/06/2020 16:50:02

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

Ian, if the lines were to form a pentagram (a five-studded star), where would the last one go?

Edit: That goes to all, of course, not only Ian. You draw a pentagram by zigging and zagging.

Mandle

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 09/07/2020 22:14:58
Ian, if the lines were to form a pentagram (a five-studded star), where would the last one go?

Edit: That goes to all, of course, not only Ian. You draw a pentagram by zigging and zagging.

GENIUS!

It looks like it would be the same as the zig-zag map! Sheldonville!

Ian Aloser's map:
Spoiler

[close]

Ian Aloser

Ok, I fumbled with the map a bit more and I am not 100% sure whether Sheldonville
or Cunningham Centre is the place we are looking for. As Officer Hunt pointed out,
Sallynoggin Heights might be a candidate as well (Rise and fall).
Pro for Sheldonville: Makes up a nice pentragram (Pentagon ?) or pattern
Pro for Cunningham Centre: "In the middle of this all" from the transcription
The facts :
We don't know who or what the target is
A finale is soon to be unfurled and we must take care not to mess it up
I don't know if we should wait until we get further information on who is behind Intrepid Pictures
or if we should take action and search Sheldonville or/and Cunningham Centre
Here are our updated maps
Spoiler

[close]

And here are the game rules:
Firstly, this criminal has many crimes lined up, but a big finale planned. To stop the finale, you need to do one of two things. You either need to figure out who the final target is and get them into protective custody, or you can track the criminal to their home town and arrest them. However, if you arrest the criminal without identifying who the final target is, the criminal may have had time to put their final plan in motion and you won't be able to save the target. On the other hand, if you manage to get the target to safety without identifying where the criminal is, then they might be able to escape.

heltenjon

I don't think we're supposed to wait around...we have enough clues to try taking some step. (If we don't, I guess the chief will refuse to send out troops.) The pentagram is based purely on the zig and zag line, but I'd like to check it out. What do you say? Cunningham Centre?

Ian Aloser

It's a fifty / fifty chance.
I'd prefer Cunningham Centre due to the association with "in the middle of this all"
Hey, we got two teams ! Can we actually send out two teams at once?
So I go for "POTENTIAL SOLUTION" Cunningham Centre, but beware of any possible traps !

heltenjon

How does the star look if Sheldonville is the final stud?

Ian Aloser

It would look like this:
Spoiler

[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Ian Aloser on Fri 10/07/2020 10:31:20
It would look like this:
Spoiler

[close]

Look at how perfect that is!

It has to be Sheldonville!

Ian Aloser

Yeah, but I had to decide and chose Cunningham Centre due to the a.m. reason.
Mandle, make it a potential solution !

heltenjon

Potential solution Let's send someone to Sheldonville. Proceed with caution and look for traps!

JackPutter

Sipping a coffee, the chief addresses you in a careful, considered tone. "So if I'm understanding you correctly, you want to send two officers to Cunningham Centre and two officers to Sheldonville. Who do you want to send where?"

Ian Aloser

I have a bad feeling about this
This is to remind us of our Officers' skills:
Spoiler

You asked for it, so here it is - a breakdown of what Pangborn thinks of his officers. Officer White is the only woman on the force and she definitely keeps it on the straight-and-narrow, she's never had any complaints or stepped out of line further than forgetting to refill the coffee pot once. Officer Collins, currently injured, is known as the joker of the group, but his sense of humour has understandably dried up recently and he's a bit skittish about heading back out on the streets. Can't say I blame him. Officer Leland graduated top of his class in the police academy last year, he's sharp but lacks some real-world knowledge that only time can teach him. That's why he's partnered with Officer Ullman. Ullman's been on the force damn near as long as I have, and he's lived in that town his whole life. If he ever needed to find another job, I bet he'd be the fastest damn taxi driver you could ask for. All of the officers have attended the same courses in crime scene examination and weapons discipline. I'd personally trust them all to conduct themselves equally well on the job.

"Officers White and Collins usually work as a team, ditto officers Leland and Ullman. This isn't by coincidence, so I'd recommend not splitting up those teams if you can, as you'll get the best results by keeping them together. Sending a lone officer into a dangerous situation isn't advisable, but if you're just canvassing an area for information you might get away with sending one, though you'd better stress the importance of calling for backup if anything suspicious arises.

"As for Pangborn himself... Well I've known him personally for years, and you won't find a finer example of an officer. In fact he's actually turned down promotions to other departments more than once, I even offered him a spot on this task force. He's got young kids though, and isn't willing to uproot them just for a job. If you send him into any situation, you can bet he'll be the smartest guy in the room, and having him there will definitely bolster the other officers' chances of success. Of course, the opposite is also true... God forbid anything happens to him, but if he were to be taken out of action... that would be a huge hit to the morale of the unit.

[close]
Chief, what do YOU think? We know that Ullman is a fast driver. What do we know about the two locations?
We cannot risk to have another one of our staff getting injured, let alone getting killed.
What would you suggest ?
EDIT: Why not send a team of four to both locations? Sheldonville and Cunningham Centre are close by....
They could do some extra hours and if we succeed, they will be granted an extra day off
EDIT: Anyone of you know "The Pentacle" by Stephen King? Some say that it wasn't written by S.K.,
but from the preview I saw it contains some parallels to our case

Mandle

I'd say forget about Cunningham Center. The pentacle is too perfectly proportioned to be a coincidence. It's gotta be Sheldonville! (BAZINGA!)

heltenjon

Why don't we send a full squad to Sheldonville, tell them to be very careful ( as if that is necessary now!), and let them go to Cunningham Centre if Sheldonville is a red herring?

Mind you, the pentacle could be a happy coincidence, but I feel it's worth checking out. Sheldonville also was the result of the W-shape.

Ian Aloser

Ok, let‘s go !
POTENTIAL SOLUTION
Full squad to Sheldonville !
Be prepared for the worst !

JackPutter

The four officers met up back where they had parked their cruisers, in the centre of Sheldonville. Sergeant Pangborn could tell by their faces that nothing had been discovered. He cleared his throat and addressed them all. "Thanks for doing such a thorough job. I know these constant searches are hard work, but as we've already seen by now, there are innocent lives at risk. Our job is to protect and serve the community, so that means putting ourselves in the firing line from time to time."

"You're telling me!" chirped Collins, before adding, "Come on Sarge, what the hell is the chief doing down there in NYC? Throwing darts at a map? Seems like we've been having no luck at all recently."

Pangborn gave Collins a warning look. "Easy, Collins. The chief has a team of experts working on trying to predict and prevent this lunatic's actions. The trouble with a mad person is that they're often incomprehensible, and no matter how much work you put in it all amounts essentially to educated guesswork. I do see your point of view here, don't think that I don't, but we've got to trust the team downtown. They know what they're doing."

"If you say so..." mumbled Collins under his breath. Pangborn let it slide, he wasn't petty, he knew how stressed out everyone must be. He couldn't help but wonder about the task force's methods though, he couldn't get rid of this niggling feeling that things just HAD to be simpler than they were making it out to be...

heltenjon

I take Pangborn's thoughts as a hint that our pentagram is not it. We have to think easier, somehow.

Ian Aloser

Will have access to my laptop shortly
Still totally shocked....

Mandle

Well damn. Turned out to be no point after all?

Ian Aloser

Well, I still don't know if we can solve it graphically, but here are my 2
possible alternatives based upon the lines in the transcription, which are:
"in the middle of this all", "He is the center of my world" and "as i zag and zig"
The Zag and Zig makes sense to me, because this is what a Zig/Zag pattern looks
like e.g. when stitching two pieces of cloth together
Spoiler

[close]
That would yield Cunningham Centre and Sallynoggin Heights as possible locations.
The one remaining would be the intersection point north of Kerry
Otherwise I am clueless .....
EDIT: POTENTIAL SOLUTION
Could we send a full unit to Cunningham Centre ?
I assume that we have only searched Sheldonville before
Needless to mention that we take extreme care....
EDIT: The name Cunningham appeared in Under the dome and Christine,
both by S.K.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk