MAGS July "Distance" (Winner: Slasher)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/07/2020 02:29:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

Distance No Object by Slasher
6 (66.7%)
This is the Way by KryiakosCH
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Mon 17/08/2020 11:05:26

Stupot

Two games this month, thanks to Slasher and KyriakosCH.

Please vote using the poll at the top of the page.

Distance No Object
by Slasher
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2457-distance-no-object

This is the Way
by KyriakosCH
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2460-this-is-the-way/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.

Welcome to MAGS July.  Who will go the extra mile to finish a game this month? If you're reading this, I know you're gonna go far. The theme is:
Distance
Provided byIntense Degree
Deadline July 31st

It could be huge or tiny…

It might be the problem or obstacle…

Or you might need to put some of it behind you…

Maybe it needs to be calculated or measured…

Maybe it’s something else that’s in the distance…

Or maybe there is a different application entirely…

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.

Fitz

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 01/07/2020 02:29:48

Maybe it needs to be calculated or measured…

Oh damn, that one sent my brain into overdrive! I've been busy doing some geometry trickery in pure HTML/CSS, culminating in creating a rough 3D sphere - and now you got me wondering if the same would be possible in AGS. Not just code-wise. I'm more concerned about my CPU/GPU not going ablaze from the effort (laugh) I'm not promising anything, and even if I do make something it's most likely not going to be a game - but the idea's been planted 8-0

Slasher

The Great Underground Empire

I don't know if I'll have time, back at work even as the U.S. gets swamped with COVID. :/ But I just had a really interesting idea for this that I'm going to explore and see if I can make a good game out of it.

VampireWombat

Maybe I can think of an idea that I can actually execute. Currently the theme has made me think scifi, though.

Joseph DiPerla

I "Might" attempt this. I had an idea of a western and a steampunk sci fi game where a cowboy(Or whoever, its a work in progress) lives in a simple western town and needs to get to the "stars"(Enter the steampunk town and elements). I am not great at graphics and my idea is a bit ambitious.. But I will take a whack at it and see if I can come up with something. Room in progress below(I know it's not impressive.) But I am using different techniques to make the images for the game.

[imgzoom]http://sw-bfs.com/misc/test1.png[/imgzoom]
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Cassiebsg

I do have vacation about half the month... so maybe.  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Intense Degree

Definitely hoping to get something in this month. I might just aim for something tiny and quick and see how it goes.

The Great Underground Empire

Update: Blah, disregard. I have a good idea but it's not something I can make in three weeks, at least not as a playable game instead of a story on rails. Good luck everybody!

VampireWombat

I may or may not attempt making a game this month. I had an idea yesterday, but then I realized it would basically play like a section of Knights of the Old Republic 2 with some elements from 2 or 3 scifi movies thrown in...

If someone has an idea for a game, but needs help with graphics, feel free to contact me. Otherwise I will attempt to get a better idea for a game.

VampireWombat

Nevermind. I think having the Blackwell Unbound Soundtrack playing in the background led to me having an idea. So, I will be attempting an Urban Fantasy game.

Slasher

We deliver anywhere, anytime, any distance  (laugh)

KyriakosCH

I think the game I was working on for June can fit in this - can I enter it when it is ready? :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 03/07/2020 20:14:43
I think the game I was working on for June can fit in this - can I enter it when it is ready? :)
While I would encourage anything to get as many entries as possible, using a game that you have been working on in the previous month isn’t really in the spirit of MAGS.

We recently relaxed the rules to allow the use of pre-made assets (sprites, music, snippets of code maybe) but the idea is to make a game, from scratch, within the calendar month.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 04/07/2020 00:55:32
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 03/07/2020 20:14:43
While I would encourage anything to get as many entries as possible, using a game that you have been working on in the previous month isn’t really in the spirit of MAGS.

We recently relaxed the rules to allow the use of pre-made assets (sprites, music, snippets of code maybe) but the idea is to make a game, from scratch, within the calendar month.

Ok, I will just present it as a different game, then.

More seriously: having worked on it for 2 days last month, shouldn't mean I can't enter it. But anyway, I don't mind.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Well, you haven’t revealed how much or little work you did in those two days. It might be negligible. Or you might have done more work than someone who can only put in 20 minutes a night for the whole month. The topic reveal is essentially the starting gun. We often allow extensions but I’ve never granted a head-start (or been asked for one).

Slasher

Distance no object

cMeyers.SayBubble("What are you working on at the moment?");
  cGuthrie.SayBubble("Space travel.");
  cMeyers.SayBubble("Space travel?");
  cGuthrie.SayBubble("What you see is a space sphere capable of travelling vast distances in seconds.");
  cMeyers.SayBubble("Get away!");
  cGuthrie.SayBubble("It just needs one or two things and it's good to go.");
  cMeyers.SayBubble("Well, good luck with that.");
  cMeyers.SayBubble("I've got to get to work.");
  cGuthrie.SayBubble("You still at Antonio's pizza's?");
  cMeyers.SayBubble("Yeah. I'de better get a move on. Antonio does not like me being late.");
  cMeyers.SayBubble("See you later, Ricky.");
  cGuthrie.SayBubble("Yeah. See you later, Gordon.");
  cGuthrie.SayBubble("Now, where did I put my Flux Capacitor 'Rickorite' mixture?");

VampireWombat

I'm too big of a scifi nerd to be silent... A Flux Capacitor is used for time travel, not space travel. Though time travel would be useful for delivering pizza. You could have it there the moment it's ordered.

And on a game making note, I'm thinking of starting Screenshot Saturday for my game. Which has led to me thinking of a way to use the background from last month in this month's game.

VampireWombat

Didn't get as much done today as I hoped, but I did at least get one character game ready.

Creamy

It looks good VW. Now it's clearly a children's park.

I like Joseph's low res saloon too. Especially the colors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk