MAGS July "Distance" (Winner: Slasher)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/07/2020 02:29:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

Distance No Object by Slasher
6 (66.7%)
This is the Way by KryiakosCH
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Mon 17/08/2020 11:05:26

Slasher

You can still vote  KyriakosCH..

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 03/08/2020 17:31:26
You can still vote  KyriakosCH..

Tell you what, if you haven't voted already, I can vote for your game and you can vote for mine. I think it's the only thing which makes sense in a 1 vs 1 context ^_^
Or if you have voted ( and it was for your game), you can tell me, so I can vote for my own.  (laugh)
PM would do either way!
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Entrants can and are encouraged to vote. Whether you vote for yourself or an opponent is really a matter for you. I personally think it’s a bit unseemly to vote for oneself but it’s not against the rules. Then again, you could argue that if you genuinely think yours is the best, why do yourself a disservice? With any luck enough people will vote to give a true idea of the general consensus.

Shadow1000

My thoughts on the two great entries:

Spoiler
Really creative application of the theme. Good variety of things to do. Not particularly challenging. Graphics somewhat basic. The strongest point of this game is the humour. I have to confess to laughing probably from when it started till I finished.
[close]

This is the Way by KryiakosCH
Spoiler
Really nice graphics and animation. As I commented on the game's page, the game felt quite repetitive after a few minutes and there was not a lot to do, so gameplay is not the strong point here. The game has merit in leaving the interpretation up to the player, with some interpretations presented on the game's page and others are up to the player to decide
[close]

My vote:
Spoiler
The games are so different that I used my usual tie-breaking approach: which game did I enjoy playing the most? Comparing these two would in a way be like comparing a Picasso to Looney Tunes. I went for the Looney Tunes :) Good job, Slasher
[close]

heltenjon

Here are my thoughts on the two entries.

Spoiler
The heart of this entry is yet another arcade sequence which I have no idea how was made. Slasher impresses by making the adventure game engine do things it's not designed for. The story is silly and funny and quite easy compared to the arcade bit, which I struggled with before I was successful. The game lacks some proofreading, but that didn't spoil any of my fun.
[close]

This is the Way by KyriakosCH
Spoiler
Short entry in the visual novel (visual short short story?) genre. There are literally three choices to make and three endings, so this is a quick play. The fun with this type of game lies perhaps more in discussing what the endings mean and what the symbols in the story mean than in actual gameplay. If one likes the Kafka story this is inspired by and derivations of it (which I do), then there is enjoyment to be had. If not, the story will probably leave you cold. I found the possible interpretations to be very open - this could be about death, madness, love, religion, commitment, living or any major choice in life. The best ending seems to be the one where you keep the dream alive and don't force an unveiling. The voice work is moody and well done, except the start of the dream (nightmare) ending, where i simply can't understand what you say.  ???
[close]

I voted for:
Spoiler
Distance No Object. I think This is the Way probably works better as a story than a game, while Slasher's entry is a game in all senses of the word. I also prefer laughing to being broody.
[close]

lanchong

Spoiler
Slasher is very skilled at making hilarious games, which is what the doctor prescribed at the moment with all the bad news. I nearly gave up during the arcade part. It would have been nice to stop waves of bad guys once you reach Mars because it took me a while to figure out how to land.
[close]

This is the Way by KyriakosCH
Spoiler
The link to the theme is not obvious and it's more figurative than literal like Slasher's game. I like interactive stories and the voice set the tone right. Subtitles would have been useful because the voice is very soft and I had to turn the volume to the max to understand.
[close]

I hesitated a lot then voted for:
Spoiler
This is the Way. I hope this will encourage the author to write more games.
[close]

Stupot

Last couple of days to vote.

Stupot

Looks like we have a winner.

Well done to Slasher for Distance No Object. You will be contacted shortly about picking a topic for September’s Jam.

Unlucky to KyriakosCH. I hope you’ll give it another go. And apologies for misspelling your name.

Thanks to both entrants and everyone who voted. Keep an eye out for the next Jam on [ideally] September 1st.

Why not start putting together a team now?

Slasher

My commiserations to 'This is the Way' by KyriakosCH..

Shame only 2 games this month...

Thanks to all that voted  (nod)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 18/08/2020 07:58:52

Thanks to all that voted  (nod)

I agree. It would be kind of cool if we had more people voting too..

Congrats, btw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk