Grandad and the Quest for the Holey Vest

Started by Wiggy, Fri 13/01/2023 01:13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiggy

I thought I would start this thread because I can forsee a need for it. This is not an easy game. Although there are hotspots with labels displayed at the base of the screen, nearly everything can be looked at or interacted with. If you're stuck somewhere post here, and I would suggest that you describe all objects that you have in inventory - it is soooo easy to miss something along the way and you get stuck hours later.

The usual adventure gaming advice applies; save often etc. etc. I had a save file I called "about2Bstoopid" which I saved to before doing ANYTHING, because you can die in many (sometimes hilarious) ways. Look at everything before you interact with it/them, sometimes you may need to look twice. All the doors you find are locked, I guess because Grandad has senile paranoia, so you need to find a LOT of keys. I always use a notepad and pen to keep track of things you've found out but don't need the information just yet, and also to assist with the curse of gamers everywhere - the dreaded making of a map...<<shudder>>. The game will give you clues sometimes in the descriptions it gives after you've looked. Consider them carefully. Above all... enjoy! It is a Fun game.

Cheers.

Spoiler
(Oh, and I bet by now you've all been electrocuted. I was too.)
[close]

Michael2968

I am playing the game and I have
Spoiler
opened all the obvious doors. I have the fuse, the wire, the dirty underwear and the lighter. I have given the butter to the woman, looked at the library, and looked at the gnomes the locked shed and the empty fish thing in the garden. I'm kind of lost on what to do next. I figure you have to turn the power off and replace the fuse but I don't know how to do it.
[close]
I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Wiggy

Hiya Michael2968!

I hope you've enjoyed the game so far. From your inventory I can see that you have not explored the front garden enough yet, and have you read all 7 books in the library? (Yes, at first play I only found 4, but there are 7.) Notepad ready!!

Forget about the power for now, you get to fix that after much torturous gameplay, (I guess someone should "Bwaahahaha" at this point.) I'll leave that to Arj0n,

Have you considered every response you received, particularly the one that begins "From this side it looks like" Try looking at it from somewhere else.

Ian Aloser

I played it to the end, great job, well done. I used a playthrough of the ATARI version :-)
Spoiler
Never would have found the xxx magazines, they were at a different spot in the bedroom
[close]

Wiggy

This is the "Hints and Tips" thread. If you don't have anything to contribute, then don't post here. I personally don't care how or why you cheated to beat the game, but just leave this forum to those who want the enjoyment of playing and getting over a slight stumble along the way.  OK?

arj0n

Quote from: Ian Aloser on Sat 14/01/2023 13:24:31I played it to the end, great job, well done. I used a playthrough of the ATARI version :-)
Spoiler
Never would have found the xxx magazines, they were at a different spot in the bedroom
[close]
I actually made the area where you find these a bit wider compared to the original game, with the intention that they became easier to find. Somehow that didn't seem to work for you.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Wiggy on Sat 14/01/2023 17:56:26This is the "Hints and Tips" thread. If you don't have anything to contribute, then don't post here. I personally don't care how or why you cheated to beat the game, but just leave this forum to those who want the enjoyment of playing and getting over a slight stumble along the way.  OK?

Not cool, dude. Please refrain from posting in this manner in the future.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Nahuel

Quote from: Ian Aloser on Sat 14/01/2023 13:24:31I played it to the end, great job, well done. I used a playthrough of the ATARI version :-)
Spoiler
[close]

That's a pity  :(
Spoiler
the areas were very much enhanced so everyone can look around and try to find hidden treasures after all, it's a treasure hunting game  :)
[close]
but looking at the bright side, now you can maybe have the full score  :grin: !
Life isn't a game. Let's develop a life-like-game.

Shadow1000

Spoiler
[close]

Ok, I give up!!
Spoiler
Where did you find the magazines?? I am pretty sure I know what to do with them but I pixel hunted the room repeatedly and can't find them
[close]

Thanks

Ian Aloser

I found this super hard
Spoiler
After clicking a hundred times and repeatedly getting the message ,, The bed is well made" or so, I started to believe that I had to get something sheet-like elsewhere, so I used the knife on all books in the library and
on all paintings until I finally succeeded in the bedroom.
They are about at the left side of the
window, I never got the message that they exist, probably missed something.
Good luck, You will find them.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 18/01/2023 01:57:45Ok, I give up!! Where did you find the magazines??
This puzzle is exceptionally unfair.
Spoiler
Like with the shrub early on, you have to position Grandad in the right spot. He needs to be on the far side of the bed, turned around to face it. Clicking on the lower half of the bed should reveal the magazines. Now, this is the realistic position he has to be in to search that area, but there's no way (at least to my knowledge) of knowing there is something to be found in there.
[close]

arj0n

Just uploaded v1.0.2 where the area to find the said item is improved. Savegames from previous versions should still work in v1.0.2.

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 18/01/2023 09:21:08
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 18/01/2023 01:57:45Ok, I give up!! Where did you find the magazines??
This puzzle is exceptionally unfair.
Spoiler
Like with the shrub early on, you have to position Grandad in the right spot. He needs to be on the far side of the bed, turned around to face it. Clicking on the lower half of the bed should reveal the magazines. Now, this is the realistic position he has to be in to search that area, but there's no way (at least to my knowledge) of knowing there is something to be found in there.
[close]

Hm. I am still not getting it
Spoiler
which direction is grandad facing?
[close]

Ian Aloser

I played it again today
I got it when
Spoiler
Grandad was at the left curtain looking towards the screen. You have to look first !
[close]
It's strange...
Today i got it at the first click, and
it was NOT the updated version ..

Shadow1000

Quote from: Ian Aloser on Wed 18/01/2023 15:27:40I played it again today
I got it when
Spoiler
Grandad was at the left curtain looking towards the screen. You have to look first !
[close]
It's strange...
Today i got it at the first click, and
it was NOT the updated version ..

Thanks! That worked!

arj0n

Yes, you can't take something you haven't found first. This is also mentioned in the info/help section in the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk