The Excavation of Hob's Barrow - published by Wadjet Eye games!

Started by shaun9991, Fri 03/07/2020 12:17:35

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

Hi guys!

The Excavation of Hob's Barrow is a folk horror narrative-driven adventure. Explore the isolated moors of rural Victorian England as you uncover the mysteries of Hob's Barrow. The answers lie in the soil...

You can check out the Steam page here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1182310/ (Wishlists are appreciated if you like the look of it! Thanks :))

A mysterious letter brings noted barrow-digger Thomasina Bateman to the isolated and somewhat unwelcoming village of Bewlay, England. A subsequent series of strange events in this ancient and sodden landscape prove that this will be no ordinary dig for Miss Bateman.

The excavation of Hob's Barrow will uncover more than was bargained for...

FEATURES:
- A dark, complex and evolving storyline featuring interwoven elements from real English folklore- with many twists and turns.
- Traditional point and click adventure game puzzles and interactions, with an easy modern interface.
- A cast of intriguing characters, from suspicious villagers to sickly vicars to lordly landowners, all with their own unique stories and motives.
- A distinct "folk horror" tone and grounding.
- Evocative pixel-art graphics, featuring cut-scenes and engaging animations.
- A suitably atmospheric original soundtrack from the musician behind the award-winning "Football Game" soundtrack.
- Fiends in the furrows, the smell of damp soil, and a cat or two.

Thoughts welcome!

Many thanks,
Shaun
Cloak and Dagger Games
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

JackPutter

This looks terrific! I particularly adore the character designs. I'm always a fan of horror point-and-click games, so I will definitely be picking this one up as soon as it's ready! It's gone straight onto my wishlist and I'll definitely be following the development if you plan on posting updates.

milkanannan

Looks great! Just wishlisted it (nod)

Matti

Mee too  :)

I really like the looks of this!

heltenjon

This looks really great!

ukz530

The background art is so cool!

I'll look forward to it  ;)

Pogwizd

This looks super cool. Given that Mudlarks is still one of my top AGS games, I'm really looking forward to that one : )

Before reading the description I thought it was set in Ireland around the time of the Great Famine.

Frodo

The game looks fantastic.   :cheesy:

Any plans for a DRM-free release?  Please don't make it steam-only. 

Gord10

I have been following you and this game. Can't wait to play it!
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

rongel

Looks great, and the setting is interesting.

Wishlisted! :-D
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

sag_aloo55

The look and feel of this are absolutely fantastic! Have wishlisted and can't wait to play

AndreasBlack

Looks fantastic!  8-0 A bit of a Indy Fate of Atlantis graphics vibe too it!

Keep it up!!

shaun9991

Thanks for all the lovely feedback! :) Development has been going well and we are on track for a Q1 2021 release on Steam and itch.io

The INCANTAMENTUM demo is available to download on Steam until October 13th, as part of their Steam Game Festival: Autumn Edition. You can find the demo here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1182310/INCANTAMENTUM/

We also had some great key art made recently, I love it!

Would love to hear what you think!

Thanks,
Shaun
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

Vincent

I played the demo on Steam today and I have no words to describe the quality of the graphics and animations, they are truly beautiful! I can't wait to purchase this game when it comes out! I would have liked to hear the voices of the characters on such a masterpiece, I hope there would be a chance for adding them because all of this it would be even more amazing! Congratulations and thanks for releasing the demo, I wish you the best of luck with the development!

Spoiler

A small report when I played it happened that the text that appears at the bottom of the screen got stuck while a cutscene was being performed, I think that I first went to talk to the old man and then I started the conversation with the owner of the inn, I made a screenshot to show you:

[close]

rongel

Tested the demo, and it was great! The art style really evoked the atmosphere of the rugged countryside. And things started to get exciting just as the demo ended, which made me want to see more.

Looking forward to the full game!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

Matti

I very much enjoyed the demo and I'm very much looking forward to the full game  :)

Shadow1000

I played it today and the graphics, animation, sound, lighting and rain effects are FLAWLESS. The story is fresh and intriguing. Awesome preview.

My only gripe is that I had to download Steam and create a login. I think I had to go through the process 4 times clicking all squares that contain a taxi or a bus and so on just to play the game. I guess if people have Steam then it's not a big deal but otherwise...

sag_aloo55

I too played the demo today and thought it was excellent. I think one thing the game achieves really well is capturing the feel of the setting - I felt drawn in straight away and it gave me a strong urge to continue. Fantastic.

It struck me that the game is more 'task-oriented' than 'puzzle-oriented' (i.e. the player is given tasks to do which advance the story, rather than hard puzzles for the sake of being hard); this is great because it keeps the focus story-telling, which is what I enjoy most about adventure games. Oddly enough, yesterday I was reading a 1989 (!) article by Ron Gilbert, in which he makes this point:

If any type of game is going to bridge the gap between games and storytelling, it is most likely going to be adventure games. They will become less puzzle solving and more story telling, it is the blueprint the future will be made from.

https://grumpygamer.com/why_adventure_games_suck

So the prophecy was true.

One minor semi-bug I spotted:
Spoiler
when I removed the plank that was blocking the toilet door I didn't open the door from the outside but instead went back into the pub and through the toilet again; when I tried to open the door from the inside Thomasina said something like "there must be something blocking it from the outside" but the plank had already been removed; I went back and opened it from outside and it worked fine.
[close]
I doubt it will come up much but just pointing it out in case helpful.

Looking forward to the full game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk