Background Blitz: Ex-society (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by Jack, Sun 05/07/2020 21:43:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Once here lived a people that accomplished wonders. They have left and time is retaking this place.

Winner: lorenzo

Deadline: 26 July 2020.
Deadline: 29 July 2020.
Voting until: 2 August 2020.

Voting:

Concept: Your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: Does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Entries:

lorenzo (Winner)

DBoyWheeler

Your gracious host

Mandle

lorenzo

Great theme, Jack, very inspiring! I already have some ideas for backgrounds.

ildu

Nice theme! I hope to have enough time to enter this one.

DBoyWheeler

I was able to whip up this quick one.

For this, I have a ruined road with a broken lamppost, and some city ruins in the distance, with a polluted twilight sky.

I wanted to include some grass blades popping out of some parts of the road, but that'd take a bit more time that I have.

Anyway, here's what I have.

Jack

It was loading for me before, but won't now.

Anyway, reminds me of Independence Day. Nice shading on the lamppost.

DBoyWheeler

It works fine for me.  That's weird.

Anyway, yeah, the lamppost is meant to look kinda rusty, with a broken bulb.

[Update] I reuploaded the pic on Flickr in hopes it'll make it cooperate.

lorenzo

Jack: thank you!

Laura Hunt: happy you like it!

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 18/07/2020 20:53:50
Inspired by the submerged bell tower of Reschensee?
At first, I was like: "wait, there's another submerged bell tower?!" but then I realized it was the German name for the lago di Resia. I'm dumb! (laugh)
Anyway. Yes, that's was one of my inspirations for the image.

milkanannan

ildu

Any chance we can have a deadline extension :D? I would like to get a piece done, but definitely not for tomorrow.

Jack

A quick and dirty attempt at recreating the iconic film scene.

I'll just blame ildu for this monstrosity, because it's convenient. :D

Time to vote!

Sinitrena

Concept: lorenzo - I kinda feel like writing a story about this place.
Playability: Jack
Artistic Execution: lorenzo - It's simply beautiful through a colourless style.

Mandle

Gimme a few hours. I have one in the works.

Mandle

Okay, done:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/K6uJD1T.png[/imgzoom]

The inspiration is probably pretty obvious to some, but I did make this from scratch as an homage and didn't reference the album cover except from my memory of it from 30-40 years ago.

Here's the original Midnight Oil album cover for "Red Sails In The Sunset" which came out in 1984 and which I probably only saw once or twice back then.
I only looked again at the original after I finished my homage but it was burned so deep into my brain that I could create something pretty close from memory except from a different angle than I remembered.
Spoiler

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/bx5ZiNn.png[/imgzoom]
[close]

EDIT: Oh crap... The last thing I saw in the thread was Jack saying "Sure" to an extension. I guess I'm late then. Oh well, if my entry isn't allowed it was still fun making it.

Hmmm... from looking at the time stamps... Not a bad effort for under 2 hours from start to finish...  :-D

Jack

Cool.

Need a couple of oil derricks there to mine the juice.

Sinitrena

Hey, one more entry to vote on. Mandle, this looks lovely (in a very industrial way), but it's only enough for a close second in all three categories, so my original votes stay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk