Little "tribute" to Maniac Mansion characters

Started by Marcin K., Wed 15/07/2020 11:28:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcin K.

Hi!
I play with ASG from time to time but still have not enough time to fathom it properly. My daily job are animations for kids - I'm the co-creator of very popular kid songs channel in Poland and I've made few characters in style of my animations. I'm going to put them in some future kid videos as a little easter eggs (zero waste :) ) but also I'm trying to remake few rooms from the Maniac Mansion game. You know, to practice work with this engine. Probably without using all characters but once I started to draw (and to recycle) it was hard to stop and decided to drew them all. Still working on Jeff.

All graphics are made in neutral pose and all body (and some clothing) parts are on separate layers to be later imported and animated in Adobe After Effects (some of them still have markers on the joints  :) ). I always start with (sort of 3/4) pose and on that base I draw, if necessary, front, side, back view etc

I'm curious how do you guys find my renditions of beloved characters.

Mandle

I so want to play a game, unconnected to Maniac Mansion, where the guy on the far left is the main player character and it's called "Douche Quest".

Snarky

:thumbsup:

Not that much to say about this, really. Cool to put some Maniac Mansion Easter Eggs in kids' stuff, thanks for sharing.

Danvzare

My first thought upon seeing this was "Where's Jeff?" Glad to know you didn't forget him though.
Overall, quite nice.
Make sure to tell us if and when you get these guys in as easter eggs.  :-D

AndreasBlack

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 15/07/2020 12:56:13
I so want to play a game, unconnected to Maniac Mansion, where the guy on the far left is the main player character and it's called "Douche Quest".

Lol, agree. I don't like bernards chubby face. He should be more skinny, nor his belly.

Marcin K.

Hello... it's been a while :)
OK, will work on Bernard... Anyway: In the meantime I've realized that I simply cannot handle it all by myself so, convinced by others I refocused my fan art efforts to make a short animated fan film. Fake trailer or something like that as I have no idea if I'll be able to provide any decent voice acting.

So in my spare time between making another kid cartoons I'm doodling backgrounds and characters. If anyone would be interested in remaking Maniac Mansion game in this style (it resembles DOTT a bit but this is the way I draw on daily basis at work too) I'm open for collaboration. Here are few more or less complete artworks.

Danvzare

Quote from: Marcin K. on Wed 14/10/2020 21:30:32
If anyone would be interested in remaking Maniac Mansion game in this style (it resembles DOTT a bit but this is the way I draw on daily basis at work too) I'm open for collaboration.
Firstly, that artwork is simply incredible. I'd love to play a remake of Maniac Mansion that looked like that.  :-D
(Someone should really do an official HD remake one of these days.)

Fair warning though, I wouldn't offer to work on a remake of Maniac Mansion in that style if I were you. Night of the Meteor is proof of the sheer amount of work such a task would involve.

Marcin K.

Thank you. I'm almost proud of it :)

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/10/2020 16:59:40
Fair warning though, I wouldn't offer to work on a remake of Maniac Mansion in that style if I were you. Night of the Meteor is proof of the sheer amount of work such a task would involve.

I know. I planned to make some short "tribute" game but still - I have some professional obligation and bills to pay. Notheless I feel wind in my sails and keep on drawing in spare time and make some short animation. As it's all "compatible" with the style I use on daily basis I probably reuse backgrounds and characters from time to time in my kid music videos as something completly different :) It's my personal goal: reimagine all the locations from Maniac Mansion, make some fanarts and if possible, animate it. I've storyboarded some of the sequences.
If there are some maniacs (what a cheesy pun ;) ) who would like to turn my artwork into game it's always wort to try. Failure is not the worst things in life :)

Pogwizd

Hej Marcin,
I've just seen your artwork and must say it's truly amazing! I wish you best of luck with finding people to work with, as I really would like to see your assets in action.

However, rather than remaking entire MM, I think I would recommend you making a short tribute game. Unless you are ready to spend a lot of time on it :D

Marcin K.

Quote from: Pogwizd on Thu 15/10/2020 19:30:58
Hej Marcin,
I've just seen your artwork and must say it's truly amazing! I wish you best of luck with finding people to work with, as I really would like to see your assets in action.

However, rather than remaking entire MM, I think I would recommend you making a short tribute game. Unless you are ready to spend a lot of time on it :D

I've decide to focus on art. In my age man should understand he can't do everything all by himself :) Maybe will do something short indeed but it would be damn nice to find a decent colaborators and remake this game. Or maybe if someone will come and say: "Screw Maniac Mansion, we have better way to use your artwork!" and I'll find it interesting then who knows? I'm flowing wherever the winds direct me, man ;-)

So for now I'll be doodling my animation and que sera, sera :D I'm in creative frenzy now. I have ideas how to "fill the gap" in narration (game didn't have much detailed intro) and it's quite fun for me.

Danvzare

Quote from: Marcin K. on Thu 15/10/2020 17:48:17
Thank you. I'm almost proud of it :)

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/10/2020 16:59:40

I know. I planned to make some short "tribute" game but still - I have some professional obligation and bills to pay. Notheless I feel wind in my sails and keep on drawing in spare time and make some short animation. As it's all "compatible" with the style I use on daily basis I probably reuse backgrounds and characters from time to time in my kid music videos as something completly different :) It's my personal goal: reimagine all the locations from Maniac Mansion, make some fanarts and if possible, animate it. I've storyboarded some of the sequences.
If there are some maniacs (what a cheesy pun ;) ) who would like to turn my artwork into game it's always wort to try. Failure is not the worst things in life :)

Ooh, I like those videos.
As for a short tribute game, I'd recommend posting on the Maniac Mansion Mania forums, they'd probably love to help.
If you fail to find anyone though, and you've got a great idea you want to get out, I honestly don't mind putting it all together for you in AGS.
Good luck, and continue with these awesome animations!  :-D

Marcin K.

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 16/10/2020 20:40:26
Ooh, I like those videos.
As for a short tribute game, I'd recommend posting on the Maniac Mansion Mania forums, they'd probably love to help.
If you fail to find anyone though, and you've got a great idea you want to get out, I honestly don't mind putting it all together for you in AGS.
Good luck, and continue with these awesome animations!  :-D

I'm involved in new AGS project - not Maniac Mansion but cool anyway so for a while I'll be sharing my hobby time between fan film and this game. The game also includes a mansion so I'll reuse some elements from my Maniac artwork.

Here's the opposite angle of main hall. It doesn't exaclty match the hall I drew before as I had to made few changes after I started second floor. Storyboarding ideas for particular shots also forced some corrections. I bet they are not the last ones. I widened the hall and moved the basement door to back, behind the stairs.
I'm leavin it as it is for now (the frontal close angle of the kitchen door needs to be made yet, plus some polishing the details) and now I'm working on the background of the kitchen. Just like here the will be two opposite angles and a side view (a bit like in the game). Nurse Edna will have a dramatic entrance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk