Good Movies You Hate

Started by Mandle, Sat 18/07/2020 16:02:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Ghibli don’t have a bad movie in their catalogue. But I do think overall they are a little over-rated. Spirited Away is one of my favourite films but I wonder if that’s just because it was my first Ghibli, and came to me at a time when I was just developing my interest in anything to do with Japan.

There seems to be an expectation that all foreigners in Japan should be at least Ghibli fans, if not outright anime otaku. But in honesty, I’m sort of with Mandle. Naussicca, Mononoke, Totoro. These are films I’ve only seen once. I enjoyed them at the time but they’re not top of my list for a rewatch. The only one I rewatch from time to time is Castle of Cagliostro but I’m coming to that for Lupin III, not Ghibli.

Which reminds me of another film for this list. Grave of the Fireflies. Great, beautiful movie. Not for me, thanks.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 13/11/2020 01:14:35
Which reminds me of another film for this list. Grave of the Fireflies. Great, beautiful movie. Not for me, thanks.

For me, that falls into the same category as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest in that everyone should watch it once, absorb its message into the way they look at and live life, and then probably never watch again or risk suicidal depression.

Grave Of The Fireflies should be required viewing for Junior High students in any country, with guided discussion from a history teacher that this shit actually happened, so that it may never happen again.

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 13/11/2020 09:30:55
Quote from: Stupot on Fri 13/11/2020 01:14:35

For me, that falls into the same category as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest in that everyone should watch it once, absorb its message into the way they look at and live life, and then probably never watch again or risk suicidal depression.

Grave Of The Fireflies should be required viewing for Junior High students in any country, with guided discussion from a history teacher that this shit actually happened, so that it may never happen again.
+1
It's the best film I have ever watched, and I will never ever watch it again in my life.  (wrong)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk