Movies That Should Have Been Bad But Were Awesome

Started by Mandle, Sun 19/07/2020 14:35:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 20/07/2020 04:56:10
Also, Repo Man.

I was tempted to mention Repo Man but decided I would need to rewatch it to do it justice and, living in Japan as I do, I have never seen a copy of it here. I'm always on the lookout for second-hand copies of it though when I'm at the weekend markets back home in Australia.

(Not to be confused with the black comedy "Repo Men", the full-length movie version of the live organ donation skit from Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life, which even gets its own tribute scene in the movie. Not a bad flick though.)

milkanannan

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 20/07/2020 04:08:35
Quote from: milkanannan on Mon 20/07/2020 03:23:53
It's almost cliche to post this, but The Room really was awesome. My wife and I were in tears because it was so bad/good. Clips from the movie in the below spoiler if anyone wants a walk down memory lane  (laugh)

Spoiler
I've yet to see this and I fear I missed the zeitgeist to fully appreciate the so-bad-it's-goodness of it. Part of the appeal seemed to be groups of friends endlessly quoting it to each other. If I suddenly watch it and start quoting it to my friends who have seen it, it wouldn't be the same.

It's honestly so unique in its badness that it has become timeless in ways. Below is the full movie. It's YouTube so the two completely separate lovemaking scenes from the first twenty minutes ((laugh)) are blurred, but the rest of its glory is all there:

Mandle

The Room gets a pass, because it's The Room, but let's try to steer away from the "So bad it's good" kind of movies in this thread as those are a different genre all to themselves.

Sorry, I meant to mention that in the first post and forgot.

Also the "bad on purpose" kind of awesome movies like "Killer Tomatoes" etc. don't really belong in this thread.

KyriakosCH

Killer Klowns from Outer Space has a few cool scenes :)

Like the ventriloquist one, or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5GWqOrzQ3g
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

arj0n

Ah yes, Tremors was a great movie!

Also: The Mangler' (1995)

TheFrighter

Thinking to Ennio Morricone The Exorcist II: the Eretic is often disliked by the horror fandom because is not bloody as the prequel, but in my humble opinion the director John Boorman builted a solid and scary movie. Almost it give chills to me.

[imgzoom]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Exorcist2poster.jpg[/imgzoom]

Another bad-criticated movie is Pretty Baby, mainly because an underage Brooke Shields play the prostitute character. I think this movie is a piece of art, the director Louis Malle did a great job.

[imgzoom]http://rarefilm.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Pretty-Baby-1978.jpg[/imgzoom]

What do you think?

_

Mandle

The Lair Of The White Worm

Thank you Hugh Grant for being in this movie in which an adult woman seduces a boy scout long before you got busted for having sex in a car with a prostitute on the street in broad daylight.

Seriously though, I doubt many people have even heard of this movie, a British horror flick based on a Bram Stoker story that was not "Dracula".

This movie is very low budget, and very well made. Well done, Ken Russel!!!

It gets pretty insane with its sexual imagery towards the end.

I must actually watch this movie again because I only saw it once when I was about 19 years old, but so many scenes are burnt into my brain.

KyriakosCH

Lovecraft once commented that the actual novel was terribly written, and a waste of a good idea :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Snarky

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 19/07/2020 14:35:08
Once again, this is not a thread to post stuff like "Are you KIDDING me?! That movie SUCKED!!!" in response to someone else's post.

To enforce this, any further posts along these lines will be deleted.

dactylopus

Not sure if this qualifies, but so many people hate it and think it's awful.  This movie got the following reaction from Roger Ebert:

"This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels."

Freddy Got Fingered, in my opinion, was a fun movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  My wife, like most people I guess, can't stand it.

If nothing else, this clip is awesome, but I'll put it in spoilers in case someone is actually going to venture into watching the film:

Spoiler

I'd watch the show.
[close]

LimpingFish

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 21/07/2020 16:45:17
Seriously though, I doubt many people have even heard of this movie, a British horror flick based on a Bram Stoker story that was not "Dracula".

Tell that to my blu-ray copy! There's a bunch of Ken Russell films that probably belong in this thread.

Arjon mentioned The Mangler, a latter-day Tobe Hooper flick (with a great lead performance by Ted Levine), that's much better than it has any right to be. Also directed by Hooper, I'd like to add:

Despite bombing at the box-office, and some scathing reviews, I can't stress how good this film is. A lavish adaptation of a little know novel by British SF author Colin Wilson ("Space Vampires"), it's manages to be visually gorgeous, while also being completely insane. Based on the premise (Armageddon at the hands of intergalactic, energy-stealing, sex vampires!), it should be terrible, but, by playing it knowingly straight*, and through wonderful design and inventive execution (and great use of color), it becomes an absolute classic. It's on Netflix, so watch it!

Also better than it has any right to be, is The Sentinel:

Despite being directed by Michael Winner (ew!), it manages to be a pretty damn effective supernatural thriller, and much better than it's premise (a possessed fashion model stuck in a Catholic Church-sanctioned halfway house, that sits on the entrance to Hell!) would lead you to believe.

*As straight as you can play a film that features an extended scene of Patrick Stewart screaming like a little girl, before his blood floats out of his body!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Babar

I'm not sure if it is fair to call a movie directed by John Woo and starring John Travolta and Nicolas Cage "should have been bad", but...

It absolutely could have been but wasn't  :=
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Snarky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrAz1YLh8nY

On paper, The Tree of Life sounds like the most boring, pretentious movie possible: A totally unremarkable middle-aged man thinking about his relatively unremarkable childhood, with constant voiceovers spouting off about religion and morality, and flashbacks to the creation of the universe. I saw it with three others whose reactions... varied considerably. Personally, I was totally on board, swept up in Terrence Malick's seemingly autobiographically inspired story, the numinous cinematography and the emotional and theological explorations. The creation of great beauty out of ordinariness seemed like a demonstration of its own thesis.

Ali

Now I feel bad, because I did find Tree of Life incredibly boring and pretentious.

I'm going to go with The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, because it was an absurd production disaster, a huge flop, and remains one of Gilliam's less well-loved films. They weren't allowed to tell anyone that Robin Williams was in it, and I seem to remember hearing that the producer at one point held a reel of exposed film hostage with a gun.

I think it's wonderful, and works incredibly well considering a significant portion of the script was never shot. Also, having watched it endlessly taped off the TV, it's nice to see how great it looks scanned in high definition.

Mandle

Quote from: Ali on Wed 22/07/2020 00:14:15
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Just rewatched it recently... Hated it when I was young, but now I see the point of it: An old man rambling on about things that may or may not have happened, but the real issue is: Does he have anyone who will care enough to listen?

Stupot

I watched that film using a VPN.
It was Munchhausen by proxy.

(Mandle has already endured this joke but I couldn’t resist it).

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 22/07/2020 10:43:05
(Mandle has already endured this joke but I couldn’t resist it).

That joke taught me a new term. I didn't get it at first, remember.

lorenzo

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 19/07/2020 14:35:08Tremors
Tremors is awesome! But then again, I even like 1950s monster movies. (laugh)

Quote from: eri0o on Mon 20/07/2020 00:43:18Gaslight, a movie from 1944
Gaslight is a good film. Although I actually prefer the British version from 1940. The film is shorter, with a better atmosphere in my opinion -- plus, I don't much like Ingrid Bergman.

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 20/07/2020 04:56:10Outland
Outland was a well-made film! Solid acting, great set design, some cool scenes (like the space greenhouse).

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 22/07/2020 10:43:05
I watched that film using a VPN.
It was Munchhausen by proxy.
(laugh) (laugh)

Mouth for war

That norwegian movie Trollhunter surprised me. I read about it many times and I always thought it sounded so stupid. "Looking for trolls in the norwegian wilderness" but it had a good rating so eventually I watched it and man I was blown away. Such an awesome movie. Found footage movies are not for everyone I know but I can really recommend it. Just try to endure the usual 45 minutes of "nothing happens" :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Mandle

Quote from: Mouth for war on Fri 24/07/2020 15:26:30
That norwegian movie Trollhunter surprised me. I read about it many times and I always thought it sounded so stupid. "Looking for trolls in the norwegian wilderness" but it had a good rating so eventually I watched it and man I was blown away. Such an awesome movie. Found footage movies are not for everyone I know but I can really recommend it. Just try to endure the usual 45 minutes of "nothing happens" :-D

I had exactly the same experience with that movie. What an awesome film!!!

And the "nothing happening" parts are very watchable because the characters and world-building are so interesting, especially the troll-hunter himself, and the whole power station storyline.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk