Forum dark theme

Started by javixblack, Tue 21/07/2020 20:28:07

Previous topic - Next topic

javixblack

Hi everyone. Before to start, please move my threat if it isn't the right place to talk about it :) Sorry for inconveniences.

From the last year, year and a half may be, I realized than the dark mode in the apps and programs are really, really, really usefull and nice to use. I don't know what do you think about it, but in my personal case, I commonly use the screens in middle of the dark, and the white lights damage my eyes. It's hard to me still watching the screen without turn on the lights of my room, or something, to decrease the luminic impact. So, I was wondering if do you consider make a dark theme for the forums, 'cause it's the place where more time spending of all the AGS site.
Another thing I want to say: I downloaded the AGS 3.5 patch 3, and try the dark theme provided by crimson wizard (if my memories aren't failuring) and it I don't really like it. The general design is too black, for here and there, which is causing a impossibility to differentiate the different panels all over the editor. Also, the text is too white, and the contrast between them and the black background is too high, which is bad too. A good example of a dark theme is in whatsapp; the color palette uses different shades of greys, which help to rest your eyes. In contraposition we have the dark theme from Outlook in android, which is purely black with a really white letters on screen.

So, that's all. I hope you consider a dark theme for the forums :)

arj0n

If you're on Chrome, you can also switch on/off darkmode for all the webpages this way:

• type “chrome://flags” into Chrome’s URL box and press Enter
  • in the search box at the top search for “Dark Mode”
  • click the dropdownbox to the right (which should show 'default') and select 'Enabled'
  • restart browser
  • (to switch back to non-darkmode, just select 'default' again and restart your browser)

javixblack

Quote from: arj0n on Wed 22/07/2020 14:39:56
If you're on Chrome, you can also switch on/off darkmode for all the webpages this way:

Very interesting! Unfortunately I'm always using Firefox, 'cause the performance of my computer is like the performance of an eggplant. Thanks for the tip!

arj0n

Quote from: javixblack on Wed 22/07/2020 15:47:30
Unfortunately I'm always using Firefox...

But luckily FF also has this feature ;) :

• type about:config in url bar
  • search for dark-mode to find 'browser.in-content.dark-mode'
  • double-click 'browser.in-content.dark-mode' preference and set to true
  • (or right-click on the preference and select toggle option)
  • restart browser

AGA

Thanks for the idea, arj0n, because it would be a lot of effort to design and implement a dark theme; this solution looks like a good alternative!

Khris

Here's something I threw together for Stylish or a similar extension: https://pastebin.com/raw/Lsg4vqz5

Might still hurt your eyes though ;)

AGA

Quote from: Khris on Wed 29/07/2020 00:13:13
Here's something I threw together for Stylish or a similar extension: https://pastebin.com/raw/Lsg4vqz5

Might still hurt your eyes though ;)

So these are the only differences from the core theme?  If that's the case I could probably make a theme that patches these in.  Picking the styles is the hard part, applying them not so much!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk