Brothers & Wreckers - New demo avalaibale (July 2020)

Started by Creamy, Wed 22/07/2020 18:00:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

Poor Vince and Gus. Their parents have been abducted by pirates!

Features:
- Pretty pixels (320*180)
- Glorious 8bit chiptunes. 

The game currently contains three small episodes with different types of gameplay.:

EPISODE 1 - released in November 2019 - Point & click

EPISODE 7 - released in March 2020 - Mouse shooter

EPISODE 12
- NEW - Pitfall-like?

Although Flugeldufel sailed to new horizons after the release of the first episode, I still work on the series from time to time.

Special thanks to Abstauber who allowed me to use his gorgeous picture from the November 2019 background blitz in the 12th episode.

Progress:
I have another episode in the making. After that, I don't know.
Don't expect all the loose ends to be tied up eventually. I concentrate on delivering a fun and varied experience.

lorenzo

I really enjoyed the MAGS version of Brothers & Wreckers, nice to see that you're still working on it!
I've only played the first episode, so I'll give a try to this new demo.

sthomannch

Nice demo, even if a bit short. Episode 1 and 7 finished, but 12: No chance, get stuck and cannot escape the "room". Maybe something with the reaction of the mouse (I have a trackball), but I never got more than just half a centimeter higher than the cave. Anyway, I am not too much into arcades. But nice, new ideas. Keep up the good working!

Creamy

Thank you :)
I really enjoyed the MAGS version of Brothers & Wreckers, nice to see that you're still working on it!
On and off, I have to admit.

QuoteEpisode 1 and 7 finished, but 12: No chance, get stuck and cannot escape the "room". Maybe something with the reaction of the mouse (I have a trackball), but I never got more than just half a centimeter higher than the cave.

You cannot enter the cave.
Have you tried alternately pressing the right and left arrows in the direction of movement, several times? Gain momentum and climb on the right side.
The cave is badly designed on my part. I need to put a monster inside to deter the player from approaching.

QuoteAnyway, I am not too much into arcades. But nice, new ideas. Keep up the good working!
Yeah, proposing an arcade game on the AGS forum isn't the smartest choice. Nevermind, I just felt like trying it.
The next episode should be more to your liking.

sthomannch

Shadow1000

I just played Episode 12 and it was fun! Definitely not easy - sometimes you have to get the combination of swinging, jumping and climbing just right but I did get to the end. I am right handed so it was a bit weird using the arrow keys, usually on the right side of a keyboard, as well as the mouse.

When I got to the top, the character disappeared for a while. I clicked and swung the invisible character until it came back to the screen to complete the game. I assume this is a bug.

Creamy

QuoteI just played Episode 12 and it was fun! Definitely not easy - sometimes you have to get the combination of swinging, jumping and climbing just right but I did get to the end. 
Glad you like it. I kept it short because I know that the controls are not very tight.

QuoteI am right handed so it was a bit weird using the arrow keys, usually on the right side of a keyboard, as well as the mouse.
Many First or Third Person Shooters use them. Or WASD keys + mouse. Would you have preferred another combination?

QuoteWhen I got to the top, the character disappeared for a while. I clicked and swung the invisible character until it came back to the screen to complete the game. I assume this is a bug.
I haven't come across this bug. Do you know how to trigger it, or where?

Shadow1000

QuoteI am right handed so it was a bit weird using the arrow keys, usually on the right side of a keyboard, as well as the mouse
Many First or Third Person Shooters use them. Or WASD keys + mouse. Would you have preferred another combination?

WASD would have been fine. If you want to make it fancy, most games give you a way to set up the controls, but giving the user the choice of arrow or WASD would accommodate all players.

QuoteWhen I got to the top, the character disappeared for a while. I clicked and swung the invisible character until it came back to the screen to complete the game. I assume this is a bug.
I haven't come across this bug. Do you know how to trigger it, or where?

The final action taken by the user before the conclusion scene. I think the screen has a log in it?

lorenzo

Episode 7 was really fun and just the right difficulty! I also tried episode 12 but I found a jump a bit tricky and I couldn't finish. I found it quite challenging and I would've preferred to use the keyboard to jump (maybe by pressing space, like in the other episode). I'll retry it later, to see if I can win it this time.

Both episodes have very smooth animations and fluid gameplay. I liked the graphics: the 3D effect in the horse riding section is really cool and episode 7 has a nice feeling of depth.

Anyway, it's shaping to be a very fun experience with a lot of variety!

Creamy

Thanks for the feedback Lorenzo  :=

QuoteI would've preferred to use the keyboard to jump (maybe by pressing space, like in the other episode).
I used the mouse for jumps because I was afraid AGS wouldn't handle the combination of three different keys well.

QuoteBoth episodes have very smooth animations and fluid gameplay. I liked the graphics: the 3D effect in the horse riding section is really cool and episode 7 has a nice feeling of depth.
TBH, I had a hard time operating the 3D module properly. The game was built around what I could achieve - a little bit like Paper Planes with Last & Furious source code.

lorenzo

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 19/08/2020 19:38:48
I used the mouse for jumps because I was afraid AGS wouldn't handle the combination of three different keys well.
Makes sense! It's not a big issue, to be honest. I still can't beat that episode, though, so I'll keep blaming the mouse controls instead of my lack of skills. ;)

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 19/08/2020 19:38:48
TBH, I had a hard time operating the 3D module properly. The game was built around what I could achieve - a little bit like Paper Planes with Last & Furious source code.
In my opinion, the 3D effect works really well in your game. I haven't played Paper Planes, I'll check it out.

Flugeldufel

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 22/07/2020 18:00:38
Although Flugeldufel sailed to new horizons after the release of the first episode, I still work on the series from time to time.
Hi Creamy, good to see that the brothers are back!
Due to very little time in the last months I decided to focus on my main project. But all the best for these two guys, maybe I'll find some spare time someday to contribute some graphic stuff again  :)

Creamy

QuoteDue to very little time in the last months I decided to focus on my main project.
Way to tease us  :=

QuoteBut all the best for these two guys, maybe I'll find some spare time someday to contribute some graphic stuff again
Feel free to contribute any way you want  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk