Author Topic: Fortnightly Writing Competition: Second Chance (again) - Extended 17. August  (Read 274 times)

Sinitrena

• Mittens Serf
  • Wheel of Fate
    • I can help with translating
    • Sinitrena worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Sinitrena worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Hello, welcome.

I received a single suggestion for a topic after my request in the last FWC, but because it was just a rehash of a topic we had nearly exactly two years ago, I decided to go with my backup, which is also a topic we already had, but from three years ago (the longer ago, the fresher it feels!)

If you are a regular, you might remember my Second Chance topic from October 2017. This is a very special topic, as it is literally all topics we ever had here. It is not about a character giving or getting a second chance. It's about all you lovely writers getting a second chance to write for a topic we had here before. Be it that you missed a deadline, didn't see a thread, had a computer crash, were not around in the forums yet when the topic was originally set or were the original administrator and therefore not allowed to write for your own topic, this is your chance to remedy this and write for an old topic. It is also specifically a chance to finish unfinished older entries, as long as about at least three quarters of the text is original material written for this new competition here.

The rules:

- Write or finish an entry for any old FWC
- Follow the original rules of the topic
(including word limits; otherwise, as applicable)
- Let us know which topic you chose
- Let us know if parts of your entry were finished earlier
- You may enter for a topic you originally administered
- You can continue stories you already submitted including for the same topic
(this is different from the last time)
- At least 3/4 should be new material
- You can enter more than once (votes are given for the stories, not the writer)

A list of old topics can be found here in the Competitions Topic Master List - the list is as complete as possible but no guarantees.

Deadline is August 14 2020.
Extended: 17. August
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:08 by Sinitrena »

Baron

• Mittens Serf
  • AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Not-so-Evil Banana Dictator
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2011, for the concept and management of SWARMAGS
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Baron worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Wait, wait, wait.  October 2017 was three YEARS ago?   :shocked:  Oh, how the time flies....

Sinitrena

• Mittens Serf
  • Wheel of Fate
    •  
You made me question my math skills there for a moment...  (roll)

Baron

• Mittens Serf
  • AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
So, since this isn't really a premeditated topic, are you going to enter?

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
I'm gonna go with the 144 word story theme again as described here:

The Artist

The artist dragged his brush up the canvas, and then pushed it sideways.

The two strokes made a bold "L" shape.

He brought the brush around to the next side of the canvas.

The artist gripped the brush firmly and drew the same shape in reverse across the first.

He stood back and stroked his little mustache in contemplation of the stark red symbol on the white canvas laid down on the floor of his loft.

His brush still struggled feebly in his grasp, bleeding out from where he had sliced her open.

"Well, Jew-bitch, let's get this finished.", the artist said.

He picked up the long knife.

After he was done painting the two extra lines on the ends of the double "L" with her severed head he stood back and said:

"So, I'm not good enough for art-school, am I?"

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2020, 11:13 by Mandle »

Baron

• Mittens Serf
  • AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
OK, I've decided to rehash the Spooky Party topic.  And by "rehash" I mean "do for the first time", since I managed to completely miss it the first time around.  (roll)  I can't remember any ideas for the topic, so this will be a completely fresh attempt.

Sinitrena

• Mittens Serf
  • Wheel of Fate
    •  
So, since this isn't really a premeditated topic, are you going to enter?

I think there should always be a neutral party who doesn't enter, so no. (But it would be nice if someone else starts a Second Chance topic in a couple of years for me to also enter.)

I'm gonna go with the 144 word story theme again as described here:

Somehow, I expected you to choose this topic. No idea why.  ;)

Keep them coming, guys!

Baron

• Mittens Serf
  • AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
OK, I tried to plan ahead, I really did.  We're off on this camping trip tomorrow, and I've been poking around at my story for a couple days now, trying to get it ready before we leave.  But the whole thing is just a hot mess.  I've got flat characters bumping into each other like it's a cardboard-cutout convention, more loose plot threads then the ripped knee holes of an 8 year old's favourite pair of pants, and a setting that's about as spooky as a loaf of bread on a tricycle.  I need more time to do some serious editing and rewriting.  What's the extension market looking like these days?

Sinitrena

• Mittens Serf
  • Wheel of Fate
    •  
I need more time to do some serious editing and rewriting.  What's the extension market looking like these days?

Unfortunate, considering the general economic situation and inflation, add to that the current exchange rate... The market looks really bad right now, extensions are incredibly expensive.

But we do take care of our most loyal customers and have this special offer: the weekend special. It's a whole three days free of charge! How does this sound?

Deadline extended: 17. August