MAGS August "White Elephant" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Mon 03/08/2020 08:32:04

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS August?

Stuck on You by Slasher
5 (41.7%)
The White Elephant by milkanannan
1 (8.3%)
A Prelude to an Adventure by Hobo
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Tue 15/09/2020 10:39:51

Cassiebsg

That'll be sweet! I'll looking forward to fishing up those white elephants... hope the line doesn't break.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

milkanannan

Oof...well, it's finished. (laugh) It's simply titled 'The White Elephant'. I'm working with a five year old, so we did more of a literal take on the theme.

Here's a download link (I think you need to wait a few seconds for the link to become active): This link should work!

Thanks for hosting these competitions, Stupot!

VampireWombat

For reasons I won't bring up, I didn't get as much done yesterday as I hoped. Is there any chance of like a 3 hours extension? I might not need it, but I'd hate for an hour before the deadline to realize I need like an extra hour to make things work...

Slasher

Quote from: milkanannan on Mon 31/08/2020 12:37:59
Oof...well, it's finished. (laugh) It's simply titled 'The White Elephant'. I'm working with a five year old, so we did more of a literal take on the theme.

Here's a download link (I think you need to wait a few seconds for the link to become active): http://www.filehost.pt/gmsW

Nothing downloading / error / wants me to reg...  :(

Hobo

Hey! Come and jump in and out of the hammock with me!

[imgzoom]http://tulevik.eu/ags/mags/Prelude/HammockJump.gif[/imgzoom]
A Prelude to an Adventure is a little interactive experience with light puzzle elements, tons of animations and catchy music.
So, if you got about 5-10 minutes, then come and help an adventurer to prepare for a mysterious trip to the Land of the White Elephants. Have fun!

AGS Game Page HERE!

VampireWombat

Looks like I won't be finishing the game today after all. Sorry. Congratulations to those who did finish.

milkanannan

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 31/08/2020 13:59:02
Quote from: milkanannan on Mon 31/08/2020 12:37:59

Here's a download link (I think you need to wait a few seconds for the link to become active): http://www.filehost.pt/gmsW

Nothing downloading / error / wants me to reg...  :(

Sorry - I’ll fix this when back to home WiFi! Thanks for trying.

Stupot

Thanks to those who have managed to finish a game. Unlucky to anyone who didn’t make it.

I’ll set up the voting in due course. Milkanannan, do you have a picture I can use for the voting post?

milkanannan

You can use this. I’m sorry for the delay. I’ll have a working download link up in the next few hours.

Stupot

Stuck on You
by Slasher
The White Elephant
by milkanannan
A Prelude to an Adventure
by Hobo

As always, let me know if I've missed anyone or anything. Good luck everyone.

Don't forget to rate and comment where possible.

Hobo

Awesome! I'll try the other games out later today.

milkanannan

OK I updated the link to my game in my above post. You can also get the game here: https://srv-file22.gofile.io/download/9lHBfJ/thewhiteelephant.zip

Slasher

A Prelude to an Adventure
by Hobo

What part is the 'White elephant' even though it may be only a short game.

Hobo

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 01/09/2020 18:42:53
What part is the 'White elephant' even though it may be only a short game.
To be honest, the idiom "white elephant" is something I had not heard of prior to this competition and it didn't really feel inspiring because of that, so I instead decided to put literal white elephants in the game. The whole game is about preparing to go on an adventure to the Land of the White Elephants and there are a couple featured in the credits scenes depicting said adventure.

Spoiler pics of those below:
Spoiler

Also, I thought that this would tie in well with couple of my other games featuring pink elephants. If you or any other voters feel that the game does not fit the MAGS theme, then I urge you to vote for other entires.

Shadow1000

Quote from: milkanannan on Tue 01/09/2020 05:56:48

You can use this. I’m sorry for the delay. I’ll have a working download link up in the next few hours.
I'm not sure if it's buggy or if I just haven't figured out the game yet:

Spoiler
I basically ended up on top of a white elephant and no interactions really do anything, other than looking at myself which takes me back to the same place
[close]

Am I doing something wrong?

milkanannan

Spoiler
I’m sorry - the game is really just a few interactions. If you click an item from your inventory on the elephant you win.
[close]

Slasher

My thoughts at this time:

Hobo
Spoiler

I found the game quite cute with some really good animations (loved the fishing) and the music was fab. I did however, find the graphics a little chunky and unclear, maybe this is just on my computer. However, I don't think it really fits the theme... If you had the boat sink and a picture of a white elephant 'thought' then that would have covered it....
Shame really.   I do look forward to a longer game if you do one.
[close]

milkanannan
Spoiler

I liked the bright colours and the way you narrated it. However, it felt a little incomplete with lack of some basic responses...
Overall a good effort and great to have an entry from you ;)
[close]

milkanannan

Thanks Slasher. Yeah it was a rushed job. More just happy to participate. := Hopefully I’ll find time in future months to pull something more complete together.

Hobo

Stuck on You by Slasher
Spoiler
Another solid MAGS entry as it is every month. Loved the pipe building puzzle, although going in and out of the inventory for each piece felt a bit cumbersome. Also, personally I would have preferred a slightly faster walking speed, it took quite long to get across the rooms with those tiny steps. Liked the ending as well - after all that fruitless effort, what a way to get rid of the wig...
[close]

The White Elephant by milkanannan
Spoiler
Not a lot here, the game can be completed with a few clicks. I accidentally skipped the old dude completely on my first play and ended up somewhere way outside the walkable area :) But the overall abstract feel has potential and those character expressions were priceless. And I do like the concept that only way to win is to not play.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk