MAGS August "White Elephant" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Mon 03/08/2020 08:32:04

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS August?

Stuck on You by Slasher
5 (41.7%)
The White Elephant by milkanannan
1 (8.3%)
A Prelude to an Adventure by Hobo
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Tue 15/09/2020 10:39:51

heltenjon

My thoughts:

Stuck on You by Slasher:
Spoiler
Long and funny story, quirky characters and some great dialogue. I laughed from start to finish. The pipe puzzle was cool, if easy.
[close]

Prelude to an Adventure by Hobo:
Spoiler
I played both the Lowrez version and the MAGS version to compare, and really liked the bigger window here in MAGS. This was very cute and kid friendly, and the graphics are very good for the style used. (Though I probably would have liked a highrez version even better...) Very nice setup with the diary and task list, and the thought bubbles worked very well. The White Elephants indeed are added on to nail the theme with some nice pictures in the end sequence. Edit: My six-year-old played this two times in a row, the second time to see how many fish he could catch or how many bottles of water he could collect.
[close]

White Elephant by Milkannanan:
Spoiler
Joke game. While somewhat funny, it can't really compete with the others. I also ended up in the endgame by accident, always trying everything in the first room. Edit: I let my six-year-old try this, and he thought it was very funny. Especially that the character had no hands.
[close]

I voted for:
Spoiler
Stuck on You. While I quite liked Prelude to an Adventure, there was more to do in Slasher's entry, and it was the best fit for the theme of the month.
[close]

KyriakosCH

A Prelude to an Adventure has some seriously well-made gfx/animation... Well done!
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Shadow1000

I am going to reiterate my thoughts/comments on this month's entries:

Stuck on you
Spoiler
I really enjoyed this game in the sense of the humour and entertainment value. A completely silly (in a good way) and fresh objective that lends itself to a lot of laughs. The theme of the competition is met, but only as a peripheral element rather than being at the core.
[close]

Prelude to an Adventure
Spoiler
What a sweet game! I love the graphic style, non-verbal communication and music. Well-designed puzzles. I played it both before and after the retrofit to make it meet the competition's requirement. As others have commented, this game really has potential to expand. The theme was clearly an afterthought rather than being central.
[close]

The White Elephant
Spoiler
I think this game has the elephant being closer to the core of the game than the other two entries. However, it's quite unfinished and the experience of playing was just not engaging and somewhat underwhelming
[close]

My vote went to
Spoiler
Prelude to an Adventure. I think that the lo-res graphics and animation are so endearing and the gameplay and puzzles just gave me the overall "awww" effect the most.
[close]

Slasher

Prelude to an Adventure

Spoiler
I've just downloaded and replayed this game... A lot better and I enjoyed the game...However, only reference is at the very end and then only elephant graphics... I'm disappointed and that is a shame....Otherwise a great game ;)
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 08/08/2020 08:18:27
Hi

I have made a good start..

With this game I did the end first and then the beginning..

Now i'm filling in the middle  (laugh)

This makes so much more sense after having played the game!

Stupot

The votes are in and we have a winner.

A Prelude to an Adventure by Hobo.

Well done, sir. You’ll be contacted soon about coming up with a topic for Ictiber

Shadow1000

WOW, that sure is close! Congrats, Hobo. We'll see what you come up with for your theme.

milkanannan

Congrats Hobo! You really should flesh that out into a full game.

Hobo

Thanks to everyone who participated, played and/or voted and thanks to Stupot for hosting. I've taken part in bunch of MAGS over the years and it's always been fun and enjoyable. Also, it's a good place to get feedback for quick bite sized projects and gauge interest for potential bigger games. Glad to see that it's still alive and kicking after all this time and still relevant and engaging to both first-timers and experienced AGSers alike.

Hopefully I can come up with a simple but effective theme that'll draw in the crowds and allow their creativity to flourish.

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 17/09/2020 03:17:42
Congrats Hobo! You really should flesh that out into a full game.
Thanks! Full game is such a big commitment for a hobbyist like me, but we'll see, maybe I'll return to this in a year or two, when I've finished up some of my other lingering projects.

Slasher

Nice game Hobo.. Make the next MAG  a good one ;)

lakerz

Is 'The White Elephant' game still available for download?  I go to the game link, but it says there is no upload files there

milkanannan

I’ll try to re-upload it somewhere a bit later today.

lakerz

milkanannan

Sorry for the delay, lakerz. This should work: https://filebin.net/thh83j9bwlbdqd89/thewhiteelephant.zip?t=j682ujgp

It's honestly something I started as a bit of a coding project with my son. We only finished three screens when the deadline hit and just decided to share it anyway (it does have both a literal and metaphorical white elephant though!)

My son and I didn't vote for ourselves, so I am assuming the one vote our game received was from someone with an agenda? (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk