Background Blitz: House - RESULTS

Started by lorenzo, Sat 08/08/2020 08:58:47

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

HOUSE

Spoiler
Johannes Vermeer, View of Houses in Delft.
[close]

Your job is to create a background that features a house. What kind of house? Any kind! A cosy chalet in the mountains, a tree-house, a modern home, a futuristic skyscraper, an ancient Roman domus, a haunted mansion, a mobile home, the inside of a small studio flat, a Victorian mansion, and so on.

Deadline: 29th August 2020.

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Good luck! :grin:

--

Entries:
Spoiler
Sinitrena

Creamy

Mouth for war

Cassiebsg

milkanannan & son
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/kCNyQmX.png[/imgzoom]

Pogwizd

Jack

[close]

RESULTS:

1st place: Creamy and Mouth for war
2nd place: Jack
3rd place: Pogwizd

lorenzo

(laugh) (laugh)
Well, it is a kind of house.

Sinitrena

I start entries for this competition so often, and I never finish them. For once, I did finish one, yay!

(The fire is obviously supposed to be animated, but seeing my track record of entries, I'm afraid that if I try to animate it, I won't finish it.)

lorenzo

Nice background, Sinitrena!
I really like your interpretation of the theme. I'd love to cross that suspended bridge and see the inside of the house -- and meet its inhabitants!

Sinitrena

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 13/08/2020 18:49:57
I'd love to cross that suspended bridge and see the inside of the house -- and meet its inhabitants!

You sure about that? The inhabitant is called Robin. He likes to rob people.  ;)
(The background is vaguely inspired by the Kevin Costner version of Robin Hood, though I haven't seen the movie in, what, ten years or so.)

lorenzo

Well, in that case we'll know who to blame for any missing inventory item! ;)

Quote from: Sinitrena on Fri 14/08/2020 11:48:45
(The background is vaguely inspired by the Kevin Costner version of Robin Hood, though I haven't seen the movie in, what, ten years or so.)
I see! I haven't seen that Robin Hood film, so I couldn't recognize it.

lorenzo

Only ten days left!

Is anyone working on an entry? Or this theme is too homely? :P

milkanannan

It's a great theme, Lorenzo. I keep meaning to enter these with my son, but we never get around to actually finishing a project! I'll try to find time this weekend to polish a final entry.

Cassiebsg

Oh, I forgot. I do love the theme.
I'll see if I can make one... last time I was going to make a small town I ended up making a house...  (roll) Because I just love making houses.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Creamy

Painted a couple of days ago.

Jack

That's beautiful, Creamy.

I had an idea, based on a mountain, because I need the practice. But then I had a much better--if challenging--idea for a background. So I will attempt that when I have some concurrent hours.

lorenzo

milkanannan: a family-made background, nice! :cheesy: And don't worry if the entry isn't polished enough, as long as you're having fun with your son. ;)

Cassiebsg: well, the house alone should be enough this time. ;)

Creamy: I love your entry! Great colours that work really well with the subject, and just the right amount of detail for the scene. Is it inspired by a real place?

Jack: sounds interesting, can't wait to see it!

By the way, if anyone needs more time, just let me know.

Creamy

QuoteIs it inspired by a real place?

Yes. The marshes of Müllenbourg on the island of Noirmoutier. Even the donkey was there.

Jack

Did you take a picture or is it made from what was there, plus memory?

I often wonder what the painters of old would say about a camera.

milkanannan

Very nice. Looks like a setting for a Studio Ghibli film.  8-)

lorenzo

Reminder: only three days left!

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Creamy

QuoteDid you take a picture or is it made from what was there, plus memory?
I painted it on the spot.

Thanks milkanannan. It's a beautiful place. What the picture doesn't show is the crowd in Summer  :P

Nice picture, Mouth of War. Are you still working on your isometric game?

I often wonder what the painters of old would say about a camera.
I guess they would be depressed. Your precious skill, which was the only way to keep a visual track of the past, becomes only decorative.

Mouth for war

Thanks Creamy :D Your piece looks really cool too :-) Well I have 1000 unfinished projects now I think haha but this and another game is what I'm working on at the moment :)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk