Background Blitz: House - RESULTS

Started by lorenzo, Sat 08/08/2020 08:58:47

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

Nice entry, Mouth for war! Maybe someday we'll see the rest of the village. ;)

Cassiebsg

Here's my entry (entirely made with Revit):

And a ray-traced version render of it just for comparison, my entry is the above one.  ;)
Spoiler

[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mouth for war

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 27/08/2020 18:25:04
Nice entry, Mouth for war! Maybe someday we'll see the rest of the village. ;)

Thanks! I sure hope so :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

lorenzo

Nice background, Cassiebsg! I like both versions, although I probably prefer the first one -- in the second, some details get lost.

milkanannan

Pogwizd

Hi all,
I thought I could give Background Blitz a go for once :)
Not sure if it fits the topic but here's my entry:

Jack

Cool backgrounds.

I've decided on one to make just now.

Jack

Couldn't decide on something to make for this, so I went with an older idea I had for an avatar.

lorenzo

Love the new entries! All in very different styles.

VOTING!

Entries

Sinitrena

Creamy

Mouth for war

Cassiebsg

milkanannan & son
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/kCNyQmX.png[/imgzoom]

Pogwizd

Jack

Voting categories:

• Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
  • Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
  • Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Voting ends on the 5th of September 2020.

Mouth for war

Concept: Pogwizd
Playability: Cassiebsg
Artistic execution: Creamy

milkanannan

Concept: Jack
Playability: mouth for war
Artistic execution: pogwzd

Pogwizd

I'm just going to copy and paste what milkanannan posted (with a minor alteration) :):
Playability: mouth for war

Also, thanks for your vote milkanannan :)

ildu

My votes:

Concept: Creamy
Playability: Mouth for war

I just had to give two to Creamy, because the piece is so lovely :). Reminds me of the upcoming indie game, Dordogne.

Mouth for war

lorenzo

Cassiebsg

Playability: Sinitrena
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Sinitrena

Creamy: Looks incredibly idyllic - perfect place for a picnic. A picture I would put on my wall. I don't like this style for in-game staff, though, to be honest. It's possible to have characters and sprites fit in, but more often then not they just stand out.

Mouth for war: I could imagine that very well for a vimiscal children's game. I'm reminded of Pokemon, not necessarily style-wise, more from the general vibe and atmosphere.

Cassiebsg: Honestly, I prefer your second version. The few pixels on the right side of the roof, where some of the sky shines through are slightly distracting.

milkanannan & son: Cute. I'm reminded of an old children's book I had with fairy tales, where one was about Cockaigne and the illustration was somewhat similar to your background. I tried to find the book (probably at my parent's) or the picture online, but I couldn't.

Pogwizd: I can't say why, but this background seems to created most of a distinct atmosphere for me - somehow desolate and hopeful at the same time.

Jack: I love the idea. The light shining through the cracks looks great. I only think the picture is all in all too dark. The light/darkness contrast would still be there with an all in all lighter image.

Votes:

Playability: Cassiebsg
Artistic Execution: Creamy

Racoon

Concept: Mouth for war
Playability: Mouth for war (it definitly looks like a game I would play, I really like the perspective)
Artistic Execution: Pogwidz (because I really like the feeling of the place)

Creamy

Concept: Jack. What's going on with this barn?

Playability: Cassie. Very practical and good-looking. The flowers and the trees are a bit too samey for my taste. Maybe you could turn them in different directions?

Artistic execution: Mouth for war. Neat and detailed. The wooden roof is a little strange. The character reminds me of the kid from Gorillaz :cheesy:

Sinitrena: nice composition but whatever post-treatment you used serves your picture badly IMO.

Milkanannan & son: that's a horny house.

Pogwizd: cute minimalist piece. I seem to discern a knight statue and vines between the buildings. It's hard to tell at such a low resolution.

QuoteI just had to give two to Creamy, because the piece is so lovely :). Reminds me of the upcoming indie game, Dordogne.
Thanks. I look forward to this gorgeous game too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk