KAPIA. Kickstarter prelaunch. Some say that 2 people couldn't do it, but we did.

Started by Anna2for2, Sun 09/08/2020 12:19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna2for2

Thank you for being here!
My name is Anna, I am 50% of our husband and wife game development team. This is our game - KAPIA.

https://youtu.be/khIndx7dzjQ

KAPIA is a point & click adventure executed in a classical style of 3D quests from the mid-2000s.

Our story-driven adventure follows the journey of a retired pilot and a strong-willed grandfather Stefan, who takes on the responsibility of ending the conflict. Little does he know, his most powerful ally will be his small granddaughter, Reny.

Inspiration

Our job and lifestyle make us very mobile. For the past ten years, we've been traveling the world, staying in a different country for two to four years. It hasn't always been easy, but we value the experience of diving into different cultures.

Five years ago, in Latvia, the idea for our point & click adventure KAPIA has taken its final form. Self-funded and produced by our family, KAPIA encompasses a wide range of people and their ideas from different parts of the world.

Our two people developer team is a big fan of games of the "golden age" in point & click, such as Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, Still Life, The Dig, and Syberia. These games shaped our taste for game development and for point & click as a whole.

Story

Following the collapse of the World Union, the war has struck that divided the planet into coalitions representing "The West" and "The East". To avoid a mysterious intelligent infection, people are living under lockdown in the protective domes.

Solve the mystery of dome survivors, dive into unique universe of KAPIA to help Stefan and his granddaughter end the ongoing war. Play for both characters in different locations, speak to the peculiar dome inhabitants, join the investigation, discover clues and testimonies to uncover the origin of tragedy, that divided the world.

Key features

Point-and-click

Play for both characters

Unique 3D design

Puzzles and mini-games

Voiced dialogues

Subtitles: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish
Audio: English

Platforms
PC Windows, but we hope to include more.

Release
2021 Q2

Follow our progress

Kickstarter

Steam

Facebook

Website

Twitter

Kickstarter
   Steam

Darth Mandarb

VampireWombat

I'm surprised to not have seen this on the forums before. But yeah, from everything I've seen in the past few months, it's most definitely not an AGS game.

BarbWire

The cheek of some people!

If this offering is not an AGS game then it should be
banished from the site without further ado.

It is difficult enough for the AGS community to get games
the recognition they should be due without an userper
infiltrating their ranks.  So there  >:(

Laura Hunt

Quote from: BarbWire on Sun 09/08/2020 14:29:36

The cheek of some people!

If this offering is not an AGS game then it should be
banished from the site without further ado.

It is difficult enough for the AGS community to get games
the recognition they should be due without an userper
infiltrating their ranks.  So there  >:(

Somebody needs to take a chill pill.

Non-AGS games are usually posted on the Adventure Related Chat & Talk subforum, but sometimes people don't realize this or they simply don't bother reading beyond "Completed game announcements" and just drop their game here without realizing this subforum is for AGS games specifically.

In any case, the mods will simply move the thread to the correct subforum and let the user(s) know about their mistake. Calling for a ban hammer right out of the gate sounds a bit unhinged, to be honest.

BarbWire

Hi Laura

From my room here at Arkham Asylum I'd just like to say thank
you for the psychoanalysis.

It is already widely known that I am unbalanced and deranged, so
I'd stick to the day job if I were you.

As I'm being fitted with a straitjacket at the mo, I'll be unable to
write any other opinions you might disapprove of. (laugh)

Anna2for2

I AM VERY VERY VERY SORRY!
Really, I didn't mean this to be this way.
I meant to post this "off topic" and accidentally posted it to another discussion.
I will ask the moderator to put this article in its proper place.
Hope you can forgive me for making this mistake and as a plea for redemption I can only say that first attempt at this game was made through AGS.
This is probably why my mind acted in this Freudian way.
Again, I am very sorry. Hope you will let this one slide as a first time post.

Kickstarter
   Steam

Chicky

The game looks great Anna, I've enjoyed following your posts on various other sites and seeing the progress you've been making. Wishing you all the best with the Kickstarter.

Don't mind the rude replies, there are still some nice folk left here on the forums.

Ali

Yeah, this was obviously an honest mistake and clearly isn't spam. We like adventure games, the most derided and despised art form after English folk dancing - the least we can do is be welcoming to developers who are making new ones.

Jack

Looks very interesting, and very polished. What engine is it?

Don't mind the forums. Reality is just coming apart. No big deal.

Anna2for2

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sun 09/08/2020 14:46:24
In any case, the mods will simply move the thread to the correct subforum and let the user(s) know about their mistake. Calling for a ban hammer right out of the gate sounds a bit unhinged, to be honest.

Thank you Laura!
It really was an honest mistake and I did report the issue to admin, just like you've predicted I would.
It was amazing to see you on my side. Thank you for it!

Kickstarter
   Steam

Anna2for2

Quote from: Chicky on Sun 09/08/2020 23:10:57
The game looks great Anna, I've enjoyed following your posts on various other sites and seeing the progress you've been making. Wishing you all the best with the Kickstarter.

Don't mind the rude replies, there are still some nice folk left here on the forums.

Thank you so very much for following our work!
This resource is new to me and it is nice to see a friendly face in a new group of people.
I can definitely see that there is a lot of understanding and a lot of nice people in this community. It was really my fault that some got angry with me.
I am a "new kid on the block" and making this kind of mistake isn't really giving a good impression.

Kickstarter
   Steam

Anna2for2

Quote from: Ali on Mon 10/08/2020 00:17:11
Yeah, this was obviously an honest mistake and clearly isn't spam. We like adventure games, the most derided and despised art form after English folk dancing - the least we can do is be welcoming to developers who are making new ones.
Thank you for your understanding and for the warm welcome! I looked up English folk dancing, and I have to sorrowfully admit that I like it.  (laugh)

Kickstarter
   Steam

Anna2for2

Quote from: Jack on Mon 10/08/2020 01:57:04
Looks very interesting, and very polished. What engine is it?

Don't mind the forums. Reality is just coming apart. No big deal.

True, the reality is quite unstable nowadays.   (laugh)

Glad you like our work!
The engine story goes like this:
We started making our game in AGS. Unfortunately, AGS was lacking complete 3D support, so
We switched  to something self-written and worked with our engine until we realized that we are going to take forever if we continue at this rate, so
We switched to Unity.

Kickstarter
   Steam

Anna2for2

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 09/08/2020 14:03:21
I'm surprised to not have seen this on the forums before. But yeah, from everything I've seen in the past few months, it's most definitely not an AGS game.

Yes, you are quite correct, this is not an AGS game.
This is my first post on this forum, and unfortunately, I've made myself quite a nasty introduction.
Well, since I've already hit the low, there is only up from this point on...

Kickstarter
   Steam

milkanannan

Looks like a cool project! Can I give some random-person-on-the-internet feedback? I suggest you cue the promo vid a bit better ~ the visuals are great, but the randomness of the clips make the game’s premise a bit cryptic. Something as simple as a voiceover with your kickstarter blurb would really help give some context to what the audience is looking at: “ The mysterious adventure of a small girl and her grandfather in a funky-apocalyptic world of KAPIA.” Ahhhh OK!

Looking forward to the game!

Frodo

The game looks fantastic!  Wishing you lots of luck for the Kickstarter.   :grin:

But... any plans for a DRM-free release?  It would be really sad if you chose steam-only, since many people don't like steam-DRM in games.   :cry:
I can suggest itch.io, Direct Download, or Humble Bundle as DRM-free choices. 

milkanannan

Oh man can we please let this thread derail into a for/against DRM troll fest? PLEASE?!!! (laugh) (kidding)

Anna2for2

Quote from: milkanannan on Mon 10/08/2020 09:23:03
Looks like a cool project! Can I give some random-person-on-the-internet feedback? I suggest you cue the promo vid a bit better ~ the visuals are great, but the randomness of the clips make the game’s premise a bit cryptic. Something as simple as a voiceover with your kickstarter blurb would really help give some context to what the audience is looking at: “ The mysterious adventure of a small girl and her grandfather in a funky-apocalyptic world of KAPIA.” Ahhhh OK!

Feedback is most welcome!!!
I am considering recording a separate personal video that will follow this one with us talking about the game. Hope it will clear things up a bit.
the reason, I don't want to put my face and VO on the front page is that I will have to look at it every time I share the KS link.  (laugh)

Kickstarter
   Steam

Anna2for2

Quote from: Frodo on Mon 10/08/2020 10:17:50
The game looks fantastic!  Wishing you lots of luck for the Kickstarter.   :grin:

But... any plans for a DRM-free release?  It would be really sad if you chose steam-only, since many people don't like steam-DRM in games.   :cry:
I can suggest itch.io, Direct Download, or Humble Bundle as DRM-free choices.
Yes, I totally get this. Not everyone even has a Steam account, to begin with.
This is the most likely outcome for the release, but we are still thinking it through.

Kickstarter
   Steam

Anna2for2

Quote from: milkanannan on Mon 10/08/2020 09:23:03

Took your advice on board and reclipped the whole thing! Thank you!

Kickstarter
   Steam

milkanannan

Anna2for2

KAPIA DEMO is on ItchIo!
https://2for2.itch.io/kapia

Now you can play a demo version of KAPIA and leave us your feedback!
If you like what we do, please support us on Kickstarter, it is around the corner!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2for2/kapia

Kickstarter
   Steam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk