HBO series supposedly about Lovecraft's works

Started by KyriakosCH, Sat 25/07/2020 20:29:35

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

Quote from: Aaron Best on Sat 08/08/2020 01:21:37
wasn't Carcosa Robert Chambers not HP?
I believe originally it came from Ambrose Bierce's short story An Inhabitant of Carcosa. But I think these authors liked to put references to their colleagues' work in their fiction.

KyriakosCH

It's a brilliant book, looking forward to the series.

It's just that Lovecraft used part of that mythos in some of his own stories  :)

Quote from: lorenzo on Sat 08/08/2020 08:32:19
I believe originally it came from Ambrose Bierce's short story An Inhabitant of Carcosa. But I think these authors liked to put references to their colleagues' work in their fiction.

+1
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

Ancient Greece is the real Lovecraft country ;)

Mandle

Lantern Bearer

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 25/07/2020 22:02:47
I believe that once a work becomes so huge it can outgrow the artist's original vision.

I totally agree with Mandle here. I watched it the other night, but wasn't expecting much so I honestly can't say I'm disappointed. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes just to see if it gets more interesting. I think the first HBO True Detective (I forget the name, but had something to do with Yellow King/Carcosa) came much closer to authentically portraying a Lovecraft vibe and atmosphere than this does. This felt more like Lovecraft in-name-only done by Disneyland/Lucasfilm, that's the impression it gave me.

I think in terms of atmosphere movies like the Witch, The Lighthouse, and some others in the folk-horror genre come much closer to giving me the kind of impression of dread that Lovecraft's stories inspired in me when I first read them.

KyriakosCH

I think the fact that no serious/good adaptations of Lovecraft exist is due to laziness mostly, and not so much (as it is often claimed) that the actual writing makes an adaptation impossible. Sure, Lovecraft doesn't write as tv-friendly as (say) Stephen King, but there is no reason why at least some of his stories couldn't have been decently adapted. And when it was attempted, the failure was due to the directors just fusing stuff in an idiotic manner, as seen for example in the movie Dagon (which mostly is about The Shadow over Innsmouth).

Even if Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness would have been filmed (afaik the project is dead), everything about it sounded wrong. Tom Cruise can never be the protagonist in something remaining loyal to Lovecraft, I mean come on.

Some directors/others had claimed that in cinema you can't have protagonists like the one's Lovecraft uses: loners and intellectuals. This is obviously false. I mean movies such as Pi do exist (maybe it can be said to have somewhat of a Lovecraft vibe, despite no cosmic horror - the protagonist is a half-mad loner and the subject is supposedly intellectual).

I think a good italian movie which has a Lovecraft vibe, and (more importantly) is all-around worth watching is this one:

Crimson Wizard

I started watching this "Lovecraft's Country", and so far have strange impression that I like the human drama in it more than supernatural horror. More so, initially I found the fantasy horror part be rather distracting and felt unnecessary at times, perhaps shaded by the real-life horror that characters meet in their travel. Or maybe that was the actual intention of the book and/or film creators.

Also I watched "Color out of space", one with Nickolas Cage et al, recently, because someone recommended it on these forums, and it's pretty good imo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk