"Worked on games" list issue

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 31/12/2020 03:35:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Recently I found that "Worked on games" list may be difficult to navigate, and that it rather does not serve its purpose.

For example, take arj0n's: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=8169
90% of the list is "beta testing", which is useful if I wanted to know if a person's a reliable tester, but is a needless clutter if I want to find actual arj0n's games. In the latter case I'd have to scan all list line by line.

Additional problem here also is that anyone can add you to their game as a co-participant, using any wording they like (choice of terms is not regulated).

Wonder if anything could be done about this in the future. For instance, maybe it could be made so that games added by this person to database him/herself are listed first, or separated somehow?

Sinitrena

+1

Maybe it would be a good idea to have some pre-defined categories (graphics, voice acting, story design, ect...) that one could than also use to filter the list, as well as the free wording option we have now for people who want to give more details.

AGA

There are 2095 distinct credit types out of 5184 total credits.  It would be a massive amount of work to standardise those, and would it really be worth all the effort?

What I could do at least is group games alphabetically by the credit name, so there's a block with "beta testing", block with "music" etc.  That should be a bit more easily read.

cat

Weren't the gold and silver blinking stars handled similarly? Now they seem to show up again for every credit, but I think previously they were only given to the main author.

Which brings us to another problem - the main author is not always the person who creates the database entry and sometimes there are two or more creators of a game. For example, the Toffee game Miez and I did together - I could not say who is the main author, it was a total team effort.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk