MAGS September “Cloak and Dagger” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 18/08/2020 01:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite game of MAGS October?

The Spider's Web by Slasher
5 (50%)
DAGGERHELL by Mandle
0 (0%)
My Father's Secret by JackPutter
5 (50%)
Max Fury by Olleh19
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Thu 15/10/2020 09:42:15

VampireWombat

My game is still a maybe. I still have 1 more week of the 104 game jam. When it's over, I'll either be so used to working on game stuff that it won't be a problem, or I'll be too exhausted to even think about it...

Mandle

Well, the bad news is that my XCOM: Enemy Within "Classic Ironman" campaign I have been playing for the last two weeks corrupted its save file with no way of recovery. And DAMMIT, because this was the first time it seemed I might actually win the game at that level of play after 4 or 5 previous attempts!!!

The good news is that I'm not going to start again for quite some time, if ever, and this has broken the hypnotic spell the game had me in.

Full speed ahead on my MAGS entry!

I had an issue with a "stack overflow" error today that took an hour to solve. It just seems that you can't have 25 %s string variables formatting into a single string, so I just split the formatting into 2 separate strings and appended them.

Simple solution but it took the hour to figure out what the actual problem was. Google was no help so I wonder if nobody has ever tried to format 25 %s string variables at the same time before, failed, and asked for help...

Seems like a crazy thing to try to do but here's why I wanted to:

It's the label that shows each character's stats at the top of the screen. Each character has a maximum of 12 stats (Well, 6 stats and 6 "values", but there isn't much difference at the moment) and the stat and value names are all definable within the game, which means each stat name must be a %s and each stat amount must be a %s as well. So that's 24 plus the character's name, making 25.

Basically, I'm trying to conserve the amount of GUI elements so I can fit all the gameplay into just one GUI.

I know I could just split everything into separate GUIS but, in my experience at least, that slowly grows out of control and becomes a slippery slope of "What the eff was I doing again?!" and a kind of slider puzzle of where to put each GUI.

So... Screw that. I'm gonna pack everything into one GUI! (Or maybe two... possibly twelve...)

Now... with that problem solved I just have to decide how this game is actually supposed to be played. I have a few options, but choosing the "funnest" coupled with "possible to actually design" is a tough choice.

But this is MAGS so I will just rush forward blissfully unaware into my instinctive first choice and then look at the game tomorrow and think "WTF WAS I THINKING?!"

Cheerio!

Slasher

Mandle, did not realise there was a %s limit!

I know if/else if in a function does or did have a limit..

I hope you manage to sort it out and can make a playable game  (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 21/09/2020 09:15:02
I hope you manage to sort it out and can make a playable game  (nod)

Yeah, I described how I sorted it out, but cheers old mate!

And "playable" might be a stretch but I will try!

HanaIndiana

QuoteBut this is MAGS so I will just rush forward blissfully unaware into my instinctive first choice and then look at the game tomorrow and think "WTF WAS I THINKING?!"

Love this! MAGS in a nutshell. Glad I'm not the only one.

milkanannan

Has there ever been a competition involving all MAGS winners?

Slasher

Quote from: milkanannan on Tue 22/09/2020 03:07:13
Never to my knowledge...

milkanannan

That would be kind of cool, no? Legacy MAGS: The People’s Choice

VampireWombat

I can not finish my game if it would help, since I have never won a Mags...

Stupot

Quote from: milkanannan on Tue 22/09/2020 03:07:13
Are you talking about bringing past winners back for a new contest or voting on past winning entries. The former would be impossible (it’s hard enough getting the numbers when it’s open to everybody, let alone only past winners.) The latter could be fun. We already have MAGGIES which is a vote for the best winning game of the year. We could have a mega-vote of all the annual MAGGIES winners. Or a mega-mega bracketed tournament of all the past monthly winners. (People would be expected to play (Or have played) the games in order to vote on them though. It wouldn’t be worth it for the 12 people who might turn out vote.)

JackPutter

I think it's 50/50 whether I'll get my entry submitted or not. I have put a lot of work in and have a lot of things completed, but I don't have all that much free time coming up so I may not be able to stitch it all together. I'll do my best to streamline things and submit at least a bare-bones version if I can!

Slasher

Quote from: JackPutter on Thu 24/09/2020 19:33:25
I think it's 50/50 whether I'll get my entry submitted or not. I have put a lot of work in and have a lot of things completed, but I don't have all that much free time coming up so I may not be able to stitch it all together. I'll do my best to streamline things and submit at least a bare-bones version if I can!
As long as you stitch the right parts together I'm sure you'll be fine..

Jump in, the water's lovely  (laugh)

Racoon

Good job on getting your game done Slasher! I will try it out later today :)  I am also still working on my game from time to time, but I really lack motivation since I lost some of my progress after my laptop shut down because the charging cable came loose. But I still try to get something done, maybe it will be shorter than I planned before.

Slasher

Dick the 'tec: The Spider's Web

A few minor issues fixed.. 26th Sept....

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2467-the-spider-s-web

Olleh19

Hey guys, i might enter this. But when does it end? I'm a little stressed out here  (laugh) 30th September?

Slasher

Quote from: Olleh19 on Sat 26/09/2020 13:16:59
Hey guys, i might enter this. But when does it end? I'm a little stressed out here  (laugh) 30th September?
Yes

VampireWombat

My game is still a maybe. The game jam ends tomorrow afternoon for me. If I have the energy and motivation, I will start working on the game again Monday or Tuesday.

Slasher

Anybody got something to show or are you going straight to the bone?  (laugh)

VampireWombat

I do have some stuff finished on my laptop. Maybe I'll share next time I use it. I will try to work on my game at least 1 hour tomorrow too.

JackPutter

My entry is currently in a mostly-playable state but is still missing one or two major puzzle pieces. I am working today and tomorrow on long shifts, but I am off on Wednesday so if I knuckle down I should be able to tie up all the loose ends before the deadline!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk