MAGS September “Cloak and Dagger” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 18/08/2020 01:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite game of MAGS October?

The Spider's Web by Slasher
5 (50%)
DAGGERHELL by Mandle
0 (0%)
My Father's Secret by JackPutter
5 (50%)
Max Fury by Olleh19
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Thu 15/10/2020 09:42:15

milkanannan

Olleh19

Quote from: milkanannan on Sat 03/10/2020 12:09:53
Ok Olleh👍

I hope it works out for you now, please let other people know if so, so they also can give it a go, private to me in Private Message if you find a bug, i'm very concerned about the game working properly.

Olleh19

Ok guys, i have a confession to make. I have cheated an aweful lot. It's until today that the game is actually really playable without major bugs. If you want me out of the contest, or rather say if i by chance would win the contest, it would not be fair to you other guys. Yes, it's true i didn't change sprite work, i didn't "add" anything, but i did change confusing dialog, edited the code so heavily. So i pass on the torch to the other guy if i get the most votes. I hope i don't get a lot of hate and anger from you guys now, but i really wanted this first game of mine to be 99% playable, and it just wasn't on the deadline, sadly. But it did push me to create a little game fast, and that i am more then thankful for. That means more to me then winning the contest, i hope you guys understand. I want the game to be fun, not frustrating the player too much.

Best Wishes and luck to you other guys in the contest <3

Stupot

You’re still in the contest, Olleh.

We knew you were having trouble uploading the game, so that’s not an issue. It’s good of you to admit that you did more tinkering than is perhaps fair. People may take that into account when voting. If you do end up with most votes, you can decide then whether or not to pass the torch.

milkanannan

Quote from: Olleh19 on Sat 03/10/2020 12:41:53
Ok guys, i have a confession to make. I have cheated an aweful lot. It's until today that the game is actually really playable without major bugs. If you want me out of the contest, or rather say if i by chance would win the contest, it would not be fair to you other guys. Yes, it's true i didn't change sprite work, i didn't "add" anything, but i did change confusing dialog, edited the code so heavily. So i pass on the torch to the other guy if i get the most votes. I hope i don't get a lot of hate and anger from you guys now, but i really wanted this first game of mine to be 99% playable, and it just wasn't on the deadline, sadly. But it did push me to create a little game fast, and that i am more then thankful for. That means more to me then winning the contest, i hope you guys understand. I want the game to be fun, not frustrating the player too much.

Well I've played both versions and they seem identical to me. Maybe I didn't get far enough to notice the changes you made. Quick hint needed:

Spoiler
Picked up the pillow, data card, and cup. I've tried everything I can think of - can you give me a loose hint what to do next? Also, is the electronic thing jumping around on the floor what I think it is? (laugh)
[close]

Olleh19

Quote from: milkanannan on Sat 03/10/2020 18:03:07
Quote from: Olleh19 on Sat 03/10/2020 12:41:53

Well I've played both versions and they seem identical to me. Maybe I didn't get far enough to notice the changes you made. Quick hint needed:

Spoiler
Picked up the pillow, data card, and cup. I've tried everything I can think of - can you give me a loose hint what to do next? Also, is the electronic thing jumping around on the floor what I think it is? (laugh)
[close]

It's not even a hint so i type it out loud here, look for the phonecable, go around the bed, see where it "goes", try to make sense how it's moving around the apartment, look in the blackwindow, cable goes there too!. And try some basic solutions, and click around that area, see if you find anything (laugh)
Puzzles are such a personal experience, some solve it in 5minutes others 45, or even a hour(!). It's amazing to me, how so many people seem to get stuck at that stuff, but it is what it is (laugh)

Good luck tho

Olleh19

The short answer is YES   (nod)

(I forgot to answer you milkanannan, you can take a look on it later. Please do, it's a very ellaborate description of the unit!)

heltenjon

Here are my thoughts about the entries this month:

My Father's Secret by Jack Putter:
Spoiler
What a great game! I really like the 3d video gameplay, and even though I can see there was planned more, there are still good puzzles and a compelling story and atmosphere. Technically brilliant, yet never at the expense of story.
[close]

The Spider's Web by Slasher:
Spoiler
Probably one of Slasher's best short games! Fun play on the tropes of the genre. The story makes use of cliches without becoming one, while serious enough, there's always a raised eyebrow to make me smirk. I liked that the investigation part was so open, and that there were multiple paths in the caves. I hope this isn't the last case we see this detective, sorry, this dick, in.  :-D
[close]

Max Fury by Olleh19:
Spoiler
Despite some bugs at deadline, this game shines, too. It's a really good first game effort. The intro is very impressive, and the gameplay is short, but rewarding. Okay, so there is some juvenile humour and sexual innuendo and more than a few laughs at a certain president's expense, but if that doesn't bother you, this is a fine one-room game. Unfortunately, the title character never made it into the game, but I hope he will turn up in a later case.
[close]

DAGGERHELL by Mandle:
Spoiler
I think I may have spent more time playing this that Mandle spent making it. But "enough already", I just wanted to beat every game before commenting.  :-D This is like one of those VIC20 games, so it's very simple in premise and not meant as a serious contender to winning the contest. Even so, it's charming and quite addictive. I'm impressed that Mandle could make it in only five hours.
[close]

I voted for:
Spoiler
This was really hard. I think that both The Spider's Web and My Father's Secret are exceptional mags games and would be worthy winners. While My Father's Secret probably had the greatest Wow-effect on me, I ended up voting for The Spider's Web, because that's the the longest game with a lot of dialogue and clues, which I love. But it was close, and I suspect I may have voted for Jack Putter's game if he had found the time to put in all the stuff he had planned.
[close]

Mandle

Thanks for the write-up, heltenjon. I described it to Stupot as an Atari game, but Vic20 is more accurate. Atari couldn't have handled the massive 320x200 resolution.

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

milkanannan

Thoughts on all four games:

Spoiler

The Spider's Web - by far the most fleshed out game this month. The pacing is perfect, and I appreciate that Slasher makes it impossible to go back to places that do not need to be revisited. The quick shot of the killer descending the side of the building was a very nice thrill that added some great suspense. I think the violin is a bit overused, but aside from this there is a lot of originality to the entry.

DAGGERHELL - just the name has me laughing (laugh) I think like most, I ended up playing this game way longer than I initially thought I would. Action games made with AGS are either 'horribly unplayable' or 'playable in a clunky way', and this one is definitely the latter. Thanks Mandle - a very enjoyable entry.

My Father's Secret - I got really absorbed in this as I was playing. It is my favourite concept/delivery of the four, but it is unfortunately too short and the ending feels rushed and incomplete. I still want to know what the backstory is on the father, so hopefully JackPutter will flesh this out a bit more!

Max Fury - this looks great, and the setting and puzzles are indeed interesting. I feel the many verbs may have made the project a little too ambitious for a MAGS entry, as it left several areas essentially unfinished or confusing. Given another month this would be a very polished title.
[close]

I voted for...

Spoiler

I'm very happy to give my vote to Slasher this month.
[close]

Olleh19

Sooooooo, i have played Mandel's game, but i quit. I didn't quit because i didn't like it. It triggered a personal issue in my backhead from my mothers old videogame called "computer 3000" if i remember correctly.
I LOVED that console, it was a console that only worked (i believe, probably exists mods for it  in these modern days, perhaps) with the special tv, because you a had huge like almost VHS typ cartridge that you put into the tv so the console got started. This reminded of those days, and my mother when we moved just throw it away without asking me, if i actually wanted to keep, which i wanted, so i got a little bit sad, don't worry tho Mandle it's not really that big of a deal, i just got this feeling of "damn, i miss that console" :cry:
I played to where the ghost (i don't know if it is) changed shape to someone else.  (laugh)

Ironically enough the other game i played was also potentially a bit hurting to me. Since it's a little recognition factor in the son looking for father deal. However i did get stuck. I don't know if it was a bug or anything, but really i do believe i clicked around on everything, and nothing worked. After i've unlocked a certain thing took out a certain thing. Please let me know, or hint me what i'm supposed to do. (laugh)

And i've started playing Slashers game, even tho he has not responded on private message in a while, perhaps he is pissed of like Greta Thunberg "How dare you" upload a game that was unplayable for so long  (laugh), but i'll make it up for him by playing his game, and also since he probably have not played my game, to trigger him to do so. Doesn't he want to read his name in the end credit?  ;)

Also i've edited my own game again by adding a popupscreen (Thanks Heltenjon for the suggestions). Which says you can save anytime by moving mouse to the the mousewheel in the right corner, ironically it's not true, because when that message is typed, it's not possible  (laugh). But once the game starts ofc, and there's an option menu now so you can save load, etc. I didn't bother changing the templates gui, why would i. It's just a demo. But it's easier now if you want to skip the cutscene and just keep playing where you where in the game previously.

Olleh19

Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 04/10/2020 08:26:10

Max Fury - this looks great, and the setting and puzzles are indeed interesting. I feel the many verbs may have made the project a little too ambitious for a MAGS entry, as it left several areas essentially unfinished or confusing. Given another month this would be a very polished title.

It is absolutely right, i am a ambitious man, and creating a game in the "Thimbleweed Park" style, takes a lot of time. But now i have a month or me, perhaps i can do it better and i will (most likely) use Max Fury this time, since he is animated and ready to throw into a game! Did you ever manage to finish the game or was it too farfedged of a solution? I can PM you it if you want too.

milkanannan

Quote from: Olleh19 on Sun 04/10/2020 09:44:53

It is absolutely right, i am a ambitious man, and creating a game in the "Thimbleweed Park" style, takes a lot of time. But now i have a month or me, perhaps i can do it better and i will (most likely) use Max Fury this time, since he is animated and ready to throw into a game! Did you ever manage to finish the game or was it too farfedged of a solution? I can PM you it if you want too.

Spoiler
I have to admit I didn't. I can't seem to interact at all with the 'view' (I can't even 'look' at it - no message comes up). It looks like something took that cord and went crashing through the window. Also, what is the black hole above the bed?
[close]

milkanannan

Quote from: Olleh19 on Sun 04/10/2020 09:39:43

Ironically enough the other game i played was also potentially a bit hurting to me. Since it's a little recognition factor in the son looking for father deal. However i did get stuck. I don't know if it was a bug or anything, but really i do believe i clicked around on everything, and nothing worked. After i've unlocked a certain thing took out a certain thing. Please let me know, or hint me what i'm supposed to do. (laugh)

Spoiler
Here's a hint: there is one area of the father's portrait that you need to examine; however, this area does not have a hotspot (i.e. no text comes up when you mouse over it)
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 04/10/2020 11:05:26
Quote from: Olleh19 on Sun 04/10/2020 09:39:43

Spoiler
Here's a hint: there is one area of the father's portrait that you need to examine; however, this area does not have a hotspot (i.e. no text comes up when you mouse over it)
[close]
Or perhaps:
Spoiler
Have you noticed that after reading the letter, you can push the symbols on the box? The letter should give you clues to the code.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 04/10/2020 11:02:45

Spoiler
I have to admit I didn't. I can't seem to interact at all with the 'view' (I can't even 'look' at it - no message comes up). It looks like something took that cord and went crashing through the window. Also, what is the black hole above the bed?
[close]

Forget about the view - it's not implemented.
Black hole:
Spoiler
There's a piece of the cord dangling there. You have to throw it out in order to pull it loose and into the room. After that, it's just a sort of skyview you don't have to interact with, but it has a role in the ending animation.
[close]

As I give these hints, take into consideration that while I have finished the game, I have only gotten three of the four achievements.

Olleh19

Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 04/10/2020 11:05:26

Already did, yes. But OK I'll give it a new try! (nod)

Olleh19

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 04/10/2020 12:21:17
Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 04/10/2020 11:02:45

Spoiler
[close]

Forget about the view - it's not implemented.
Black hole:
Spoiler
There's a piece of the cord dangling there. You have to throw it out in order to pull it loose and into the room. After that, it's just a sort of skyview you don't have to interact with, but it has a role in the ending animation.
[close]

As I give these hints, take into consideration that while I have finished the game, I have only gotten three of the four achievements.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D (nod) That is absolutely correct my friend! Well noticed there! So there is one more :)

Edit: and since you have a options menu and save/load features so you can skip the cutscenes maybe you could give a try at it..It's not as hard as you think. Well it was, but it's not anymore, i'd say! (laugh)

heltenjon

Everyone who votes or plays these games should also take the time to vote on the games page for each game. I keep forgetting to do this, but we could make it a habit. Then at least the MAGS games will get the five ratings necessary to get a player rating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk