MAGS September “Cloak and Dagger” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 18/08/2020 01:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite game of MAGS October?

The Spider's Web by Slasher
5 (50%)
DAGGERHELL by Mandle
0 (0%)
My Father's Secret by JackPutter
5 (50%)
Max Fury by Olleh19
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Thu 15/10/2020 09:42:15

Stupot

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 05/10/2020 14:35:59
Everyone who votes or plays these games should also take the time to vote on the games page for each game. I keep forgetting to do this, but we could make it a habit. Then at least the MAGS games will get the five ratings necessary to get a player rating.

I used to beat that drum, but it’s pointless. So few people rate and comment on the games pages that in the last year only 3 games (out of nearly 100) have had enough ratings to show their score.

I should get back in the habit of reminding people when I announce the start of voting, though.

Olleh19

What does the voting say about participants. Say i wanted to vote on the My Fathers Secret, am i allowed to even vote?
(laugh)

heltenjon

Quote from: Olleh19 on Mon 05/10/2020 19:16:38
What does the voting say about participants. Say i wanted to vote on the My Fathers Secret, am i aloved to even vote?
(laugh)
This differs a bit from contest to contest, so it's a fair question. In MAGS, the participants may vote. You don't have to tell anyone who you voted for, although a bit of positive feedback on things you like is welcome. Most participants don't vote for their own game, but there is no rule about it.

Cassiebsg

QuoteMost participants don't vote for their own game, but there is no rule about it.

It's an unwritten rule...  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Olleh19

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 05/10/2020 21:02:05
QuoteMost participants don't vote for their own game, but there is no rule about it.

It's an unwritten rule...  ;)

I was about to vote on my own game, he he he. Cause it's too difficult for everybody, so i need to vote a little so i at least get some vote! (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

Slasher

Hi guys,

My views on games this month....

Spoiler

The first thing that gabbed me was the 3D environment. The music was apt.  The puzzles were not too difficult but satisfying enough....  The game was rather short, but even so I enjoyed it... A good effort from Jack who improves with every game..... 8.5  stars...

DAGGERHELL by Mandle
As usual Mandle gives us something different....Something that takes us oldies back a few years... Interesting concept.. Surprised he did not add music....No way did I have the stamina to get to the end....  A bit repetitious...Just tags the topic..... 5.5  stars...

Max Fury by Olleh19
The graphics were fab.. I'm not a lover of 9 verb Template mainly because it's not always fully scripted and lacks some interactions... No music... The puzzle(s) were not too difficult but took a while to fathom them out... The ending could have been smoother as the game just exited,  Did not find game really matched the topic.
As a first game though Olleh19 did very well.... 5.8 stars...
[close]

Thanks for your games guys (nod)

Mandle

Just downloading all games now and about to play.

Shadow1000

I played the games with the exception of Daggerhell and voted.

My comments:

Spoiler
A few quirky solutions to puzzles but otherwise well-paced, a good difficulty level, good story and objective and hits the theme on the bullseye. For a game created in such a short period of time, the length is also really impressive.
[close]

DAGGERHELL by Mandle

I would love to play but I tried downloading 4 times on different days and I tried three different browsers and my laptop, just in case but each time it was killed by my antivirus.

Spoiler
AWESOME, smooth and slick animations! I usually don't like first person views but this one was so immersive! Great background story; falls short when it comes to gameplay. I would recommend fleshing this out to a full game...would be great!
[close]

Max Fury by Olleh19
Spoiler
Nice graphics. Good adaptation of the theme. I am not really a fan of the interface where you have a menu of verbs on the left side rather than left click - interact; right click - look. Puzzles and gameplay were a bit lacking but if this is your first game, then congrats of getting it out under pressure!
[close]

My vote goes easily to
Spoiler
The Spider's Web. Complete in every way; immersive and enjoyable. Big congrats, Les!
[close]

Olleh19

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 06/10/2020 16:36:32
....*spoilers*

I'm more then happy with my score! (laugh)
I've reworked the puzzle, tried to make it more understandable, but it's definately challenging both for the player and the creator (unfortunaly). ha ha ha!!

Edit: It's not on the games download page, it's in my computer, as for now. It will be released in the future, but slightly re-worked to be more understandable. And then the actual "topic" of investigator will show up! (laugh)

Olleh19

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 08/10/2020 23:15:21

Spoiler
Nice graphics. Good adaptation of the theme. I am not really a fan of the interface where you have a menu of verbs on the left side rather than left click - interact; right click - look. Puzzles and gameplay were a bit lacking but if this is your first game, then congrats of getting it out under pressure!
[close]

Hi Shadow1000!

Thanks for your feedback, the amount of work that went into that room is actually quite large. Maybe not too noticeable for the player. I learnt a valuable lesson that's for sure. Puzzle is improved a bit (offline). Forexample when the game start. Instead of having to click on broken window to understand she says in the start about a accident. So the player will know instantly that the phonecable needs to be fixed, by having it come into the apartment again! That was a clear mistake on my side. Sometimes you take things for granted. The puzzle overall was too difficult. However you are actually slightly wrong. On the "Jumpin' object" you are able to use the right button on the mouse!
Did you manage to finish the game? Very few did, which is a clear indication i need to work harder for the next game. It should not be as difficult. At least not in the start of a game!

Lesson learned there for sure... ;)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Olleh19 on Fri 09/10/2020 20:47:06
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 08/10/2020 23:15:21

Spoiler
[close]

Hi Shadow1000!

Thanks for your feedback, the amount of work that went into that room is actually quite large. Maybe not too noticeable for the player. I learnt a valuable lesson that's for sure. Puzzle is improved a bit (offline). Forexample when the game start. Instead of having to click on broken window to understand she says in the start about a accident. So the player will know instantly that the phonecable needs to be fixed, by having it come into the apartment again! That was a clear mistake on my side. Sometimes you take things for granted. The puzzle overall was too difficult. However you are actually slightly wrong. On the "Jumpin' object" you are able to use the right button on the mouse!
Did you manage to finish the game? Very few did, which is a clear indication i need to work harder for the next game. It should not be as difficult. At least not in the start of a game!

Actually, yes, I did finish the game. I won't say it was easy or obvious but I did solve it.

heltenjon

I just wondered: how do you know that few have finished the game? Unless you have been bombarded with PMs asking for hints, that is. One should think there would be a hint thread or questions here if people were really stuck. Or is it your friends and family who are stuck? That would be understandable - this is a site for people accustomed to the game genre, after all.

Olleh19

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 09/10/2020 21:14:16

I just wondered: how do you know that few have finished the game? Unless you have been bombarded with PMs asking for hints, that is. One should think there would be a hint thread or questions here if people were really stuck. Or is it your friends and family who are stuck? That would be understandable - this is a site for people accustomed to the game genre, after all.

Well, at least four or five people on here have asked for somekind of hint, it could also be that they just don't want to "get frustrated", so they ask to avoid getting frustrated, which i guess also is a little bit of sign that something is "off". But i am highly critical here of course! Family members have not tried the game as of yet. Sooner or later that will happen! (laugh).
Spoiler
Don't worry, no "big changes" has been done to the puzzle. It's just small tweaks, like i've said she starts of by saying that the phone cord is outside cause of the storm. And also when looking at the cord she will say (clearly a hint). "The cord is much longer now!" or "The cord is longer now so it can be used!". I don't think that spoils anything, but at least maybe it gets into the players brain and eventually maybe they go back and look or think "oh right, she said the cord is longer", and there you go. Puzzle's obviously can be really difficult from person to person, the best one finished it in 20minutes, otherone in 33minutes (i asked them to clock the time). I suppose you could call these guys "family members" alltho i haven't met one of them in real life.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Olleh19 on Fri 09/10/2020 22:00:35

Well, at least four or five people on here have asked for somekind of hint, it could also be that they just don't want to "get frustrated", so they ask to avoid getting frustrated, which i guess also is a little bit of sign that something is "off". But i am highly critical here of course!

(Psst...you may add a spoiler to your last post-)  ;)

Ah, that counts as a PM storm.  (laugh) IIRC, I found some bugs and asked if the game was winnable before trying further. Some frustration about a fair puzzle is okay, but I guess I don't want to spend time until the game works. I thought the puzzle was fair, by the way.

Olleh19

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 09/10/2020 22:31:52
Quote from: Olleh19 on Fri 09/10/2020 22:00:35

Well, at least four or five people on here have asked for somekind of hint, it could also be that they just don't want to "get frustrated", so they ask to avoid getting frustrated, which i guess also is a little bit of sign that something is "off". But i am highly critical here of course!

(Psst...you may add a spoiler to your last post-)  ;)

Ah, that counts as a PM storm.  (laugh) IIRC, I found some bugs and asked if the game was winnable before trying further. Some frustration about a fair puzzle is okay, but I guess I don't want to spend time until the game works. I thought the puzzle was fair, by the way.

Good to know, Thanks, and thanks for the bug finds(!)

Slasher

I finished the game.. it was not over difficult in my opinion... but generally if a game is getting too many 'Help me's'  than it is either bad game design or it really is hard... I think the player should have a good idea of what needs to be done, of course doing it is another matter but at least he has a focus and direction...and the solution should practically be known... like needing a spanner...

Some of us have been part of ags for years and we have played many games..... good design as well as bad design..

As long as Olleh19 realises its hard to be completely unique as many of us have seen it all before. For his first game I thought he done well and no doubt has learnt enough to advance his game development..

lanchong

I love September's theme. I'm never tired of detective stories in games, books and TV series  :smiley:

My reviews & vote:
Spoiler

The Spider's web
It's a good Slasher production with an interesting story and lots of puzzles. It took me a moment to understand how to de-select an inventory item.

Daggerhell
I died in Room 2. I admit I suck at arcade games. It could be addictive for people who like this genre.

My father's secret
I loved Jack's previous games in 2D and I'm not a fan of 3D games but nevertheless Jack has done a great job here with this horror game.

Max Fury
I didn't understand the puzzles so I didn't finish the game. Like most players here, I don't really like the 9 verb interface unless puzzles are easy. But I look forward to the full version of the game which hopefully will be a bit easier to play.

I voted for the Spider's web because it's quite a long game and it perfectly fits the theme.
[close]

Congratulations to all four game authors for creating quality games!

Olleh19

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 10/10/2020 07:30:52
I finished the game.. it was not over difficult in my opinion... but generally if a game is getting too many 'Help me's'  than it is either bad game design or it really is hard... I think the player should have a good idea of what needs to be done, of course doing it is another matter but at least he has a focus and direction...and the solution should practically be known... like needing a spanner...

Some of us have been part of ags for years and we have played many games..... good design as well as bad design..

As long as Olleh19 realises its hard to be completely unique as many of us have seen it all before. For his first game I thought he done well and no doubt has learnt enough to advance his game development..

Slasher, i think a big part where i've messed up was i should have written in the introduction where she cries. That the phone cable went out the window. That would have explained the phone not working, and clearly hint the player on what needs to be done (Fix the phone to be able to call IRS, Private detective, etc). And yes, you are absolutely right! You live and learn, it was my first attempt at finishing some kind of "little game". Sure, i have played point & click games since i was a kid, but it's different to creating them! Thanks for feedback guys!

JackPutter

I finally got around to playing all of this month's entries! Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler
A really stellar entry! The puzzles were just the right level of difficulty, there was great variety in the gameplay with many different locations to explore, and the story was nicely fleshed out! I enjoyed the characters very much, and this game was definitely the one that stuck closest to this month's theme in my opinion. I particularly liked the opening sequences where you were exploring the different rooms interviewing everyone, I kind of wish there were more clues to be found in that section. Snooping through files and putting the pieces together is always fun! I think this is a really strong game in general, if I have one minor criticism it is that sometimes the puzzles have the same solution so it got a touch repetitive. At least there were various humorous outcomes to solving each puzzle, even when the method was the same. Other than that minor quibble, I think it's top-notch!
[close]

DAGGERHELL by Mandle
Spoiler
Extremely simple and extremely fun! I spent a lot of time running about those dungeons. Honestly I don't have much criticism to share about this one, it does exactly what it sets out to do and does it without issue. It's a little sparse when it comes to content, but if it were to be expanded with more enemy types, pickups, weapons, or other "enhancements" it would lose the simple charm. It's like a tasty candy bar as opposed to a full meal, and sometimes all you need is a candy bar! This gets a big thumbs-up from me!
[close]

Spoiler
Claims to be "full motion video" but only runs at 20fps. A total SCAM.
[close]

Max Fury by Olleh
Spoiler
I loved the artwork for this game SO much! I thought it was a real visual treat, and I'm amazed that you achieved all that in a single month. I also thought the sound design was really wonderful, each action had a well-chosen sound to add extra personality. I share many of the criticisms already mentioned by other people here. I feel the 9-verb interface didn't really add anything, I think "Use" and "Examine" would have streamlined the development process and been easier to work with from the player end too. For me, it didn't really suit the theme all that well, though it seems like you intended detective Max Fury to have a much bigger role and ended up having to cut a lot due to time pressure. The humour wasn't always particularly to my taste but it did get a few chuckles out of me! Overall I think this is a AMAZING effort for a first game! With your art skills and the new knowledge you have gained from this project, you can build on what you did this month and make your next project much more polished!
[close]

Olleh19

Quote from: JackPutter on Sun 11/10/2020 21:33:14

Max Fury by Olleh
Spoiler
I loved the artwork for this game SO much! I thought it was a real visual treat, and I'm amazed that you achieved all that in a single month. I also thought the sound design was really wonderful, each action had a well-chosen sound to add extra personality. I share many of the criticisms already mentioned by other people here. I feel the 9-verb interface didn't really add anything, I think "Use" and "Examine" would have streamlined the development process and been easier to work with from the player end too. For me, it didn't really suit the theme all that well, though it seems like you intended detective Max Fury to have a much bigger role and ended up having to cut a lot due to time pressure. The humour wasn't always particularly to my taste but it did get a few chuckles out of me! Overall I think this is a AMAZING effort for a first game! With your art skills and the new knowledge you have gained from this project, you can build on what you did this month and make your next project much more polished!
[close]

Thank you very much for the feedback Jack! I myself really enjoyed the 9verbs (back in the day, aswell as in Thumbleweed). Cause i grew up with Day Of The Tentacle, Sam & Max, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, etc. However like you've said. It is A LOT of work, and can frustrate the player, eventually. So the game did get much shorter then originally anticipated. I did enjoy Monkey Island 3's verb coin system aswell. Perhaps that is the way to go, but we'll see. It's so far into the future as for now, that it's hard to say what i'll use in the end product. Working on animations and making assets in the room a little bit smaller right now, so the characters can be it's original size and not so upscaled. I always forget that when using reference art from the internet. That is for "normal human size" game characters (at least in point & clicks) rarely have the same size as regular humans. So what ends up happening is i have to scale the characters much larger, so now i'm making the bed and furnitures smaller atm, so the characters fit better into the scene (laugh). Next project will be more polished for sure!

About the humour. I will probably scale down some of that aswell, at least on the sexual department, less of that! Since i believe such things could make the game "none-playable" for kids, which would be bad, ofc.

Edit: Actually i forgot in the ending credits. Music in the game is done by me. So only soundeffects some are from freesound.org or others are done by me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk