The Adventure Game Challenge in its 4th Year

Started by hightreason, Wed 19/08/2020 05:57:38

Previous topic - Next topic

hightreason

The 4th Annual Adventure Game Challenge jam is fast approaching. Make an adventure game in 2 weeks, and the one the judges deem to be the best will get $104!

Check out the jam page here:

https://itch.io/jam/104-adventure-game-challenge

CaptainD

Hey Vince! Glad to see your doing this again. Great judges this year!  ;-D

javixblack

If I knew how to make a game, I would be happy to participate

hightreason

Just a reminder. This starts in one day.

We have LOTS of people joined this year. It's gonna be fun!

VampireWombat

heltenjon

So, are people playing these games? So far, my favourites are the ones released on this site: The Halloween Party and Bartolomeo, mislead by circumstances, learns that appearances can be deceptive. I've tried a handful of the others. No way am I going to manage to play all 50 games before the Voting period is over, but if someone wants to discuss the entries they've tried here, I'm all ears.

VampireWombat

Don't play Sophie's Magical Whatever, it sucks. (Yes, that's the game I worked on. Yes, I do think it sucks. No, it wasn't made using AGS.)

And can't say I've played any of them. I've just watched Scumm and Villainy play them on Twitch. I think they're 1 or 2 streams away from finishing them up.

heltenjon

I've played some more games in addition to the two I've already mentioned.

So far I've also  played:

I am a Vampire: This I liked. It's a quest for candy in the neighbourhood. Okay puzzles.

The Man Who Mistake His Wife for a Hat: A bit experimental with using different senses. Not always logical solutions to the puzzles, more of clicking around to see what happens. A lot is not implemented. Don't play if that bothers you.

Wilbur the Wizard: Five minutes with a stickman. It doesn't pretend to be more than it is, which is charming. But not a great game, exactly.

Marmotte: You control a ghost that hasn't grasped his own death yet. Nice minimalist graphics and a couple of small puzzles...which doesn't make sense with the ghost setting. Five minutes well spent nevertheless.

Lost Space: Unfinished game with placeholder art, made in AGS. I don't know if it's winnable in its current state.

Cosmic Truths: Philosophical adventure. I liked this one.

A Delusion: Short attempt at an adventure made with RPG maker. The story branches, and it's not a satisfactory end to one of the stories. Not finished, but playable like a demo or intro.

Room 238: Your quest is to enter the locked hotel room. The player progresses from room to room, gathering what (s)he needs along the way. Fun in a retro way, but with no real reason why these items are available.

I guess there are some more good ones in there. And I'll have to play Vampire Wombat's game now, no matter what he says.  (laugh)

VampireWombat

Okay, but I warned you. The 3d models made specifically for the game and the idea to make a tea party are the only things that were any way done well. Everything else makes me ashamed to have been part of the game...

lorenzo

Here's what I've played:

The Halloween Party: really nice game, with some clever puzzles.

It's Flot, about a guy who wants to prove that the Earth is flat. Short and fun.

Boulder and Troubles. Interesting story but some pixel hunting left me stuck for a while. Worth playing, aside from that gripe.

Rick Swiggins: 6th Grade Sleuth. Fun game with a silly story, some good jokes and nice puzzles. I wasn't a fan of the controls and there a bit too much walking in samey-looking corridors, but it's a nice game.

Operation Artichoke had some funny jokes, but I got stuck and I didn't find a way to save, so I haven't finished it.

I played a bit of Can Demons Be Good?, but it wasn't really my cup of tea and I left it unfinished. Seemed more like a interactive story than an adventure game.

heltenjon

Suddenly, the count of games decreased from 50 to 49. Which one was removed from the contest?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk