Fortnightly Writing Competition: Ongoing But Incomplete. VOTING OPEN

Started by Mandle, Thu 27/08/2020 02:59:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 15/09/2020 10:23:29
Is it a love song, especially unrequited love?
Is it someone embracing death?
Is it someone chased by monsters?

I only really entered so that there was one more entry. I don't want to or expect to win or even place.

The answer to your three theories is kind of "yes" to all.

It's the lyrics that might be used or adapted for the closing song of "Chronicle Of Innsmouth: Mountains Of Madness" in which a character has a relationship with, lets just say "an entity", which could be described, with some interpretation, by all three of your takes.

Sinitrena

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 15/09/2020 18:26:37
Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 15/09/2020 18:06:29
Well, it's a bit difficult to evaluate something that isn't there...  ;-D (But I'm curious, so if you want to share the narrator's motivations and aim, that would be nice.)

The person is stalked by an apparition, which stands in that exact spot. However it seems the apparition can be altered if other people (who obviously do not see it) move into it.

I think knowing this detail would have made the story better, mainly because it would have felt more complete. It's an interesting concept, certainly.

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 15/09/2020 23:56:01
Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 15/09/2020 10:23:29
Is it a love song, especially unrequited love?
Is it someone embracing death?
Is it someone chased by monsters?

The answer to your three theories is kind of "yes" to all.

I guess I'm kinda good at guessing the meaning of weird lyrics.  ;)

Guys, more votes would be nice, I feel so lonely in the voting booth here. (Then again, it's better for social distancing...  (laugh))

KyriakosCH

Thanks, I now expect you to change your vote to reflect how great the story idea was  :=

Edit (I originally wrote the following in a more stupid manner, so am writing this differently now: )

I decided to trick Mandle and disqualify my story, so his can (at worst) win third place ^_^

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Baron

Sorry, sorry!  I got distracted with other tasks and forgot to check in on the forums for a couple days there.  I'll read and vote by tomorrow, I promise!

Edit

OK.  After some due consideration I vote in the following manner:

Favourite: Sinitrena.  I most liked how both characters (the dreamer and the painter) were developed as the story unfolded.  It was an interesting concept, although by the halfway point I already had a good idea of where everything was going.  Which brings me to my only real criticism: the story kind of ends.  I mean, obviously there will be fallout for both the dreamer and the painter, but the main important idea of any larger story (the painter snapping, or at least breaking out of white cubicle prison of his mind) is effectively over.

Second Favourite: KyriakosCH.  You can't disqualify your entry!  Only Mandle can do that!  ;-D  I agree with Sinitrena that mentioning the apparition would have made the story make a lot more sense.  However, leaving the reader questioning what was happening was a good way to make the story seem incomplete, so in that regard I think you succeeded more than anyone else in this competition.  I think just a few more details (maybe not even describing the apparition but hinting at its presence) would have clinched you first place in my books.

Mandle.  Yeah, that's right.  No vote unless I hear an audio recording of you singing those lyrics.  And by singing I mean screaming at the top of your lungs, preferably to heavy metal music that is also just vocals that you pre-recorded.   DAH DAH DA-DA-DAAAAAAAH!   DAH DAH DA-DA-DAAAAAAAH!  DAH DAH DA-DA-DAAAAAAAH! 

Sinitrena

Quote from: Baron on Sun 20/09/2020 03:44:38

Favourite: Sinitrena.  I most liked how both characters (the dreamer and the painter) were developed as the story unfolded.  It was an interesting concept, although by the halfway point I already had a good idea of where everything was going.  Which brings me to my only real criticism: the story kind of ends.  I mean, obviously there will be fallout for both the dreamer and the painter, but the main important idea of any larger story (the painter snapping, or at least breaking out of white cubicle prison of his mind) is effectively over.

Yeah, I saw this as well for my own entry, but as I hinted at, I considered an uncomplete story as an easy way out for this topic. What I thought as the ongoing elements were the dream (nightmare) on the one hand and the decent into madness on the other.

Mandle

Baron, please respect your sense of hearing. It is not something to be so carelessly thrown away.

Baron

Sinitrena

Ouw, my ears!

Anyway, voting's been open for over a week and it seems Kyriakos is not inclined to vote (I'm not even thinking about any neutral people voting), so, Mandle, don't you want to lead this competition to its conclusion?

Baron

The symmetry is fitting.  The voting period is ongoing but ...incomplete.  ;-D

KyriakosCH

Guys, you should by now have established just how lazy I am, and you wrote entire chapters :)
Only Mantle was considerate, so I did read his.
It should be played by Pantera  (nod)

Sinitrena

Seriously, a two week voting period?

*Sini is bored and doesn't make progress on her Background Blitz entry, so she would really like a new FWC.

Baron

It's like the movie Groundhog Day!  We're forever caught in this ongoing but incomplete competition!  Quick, somebody step in front of a bus to see what happens....  (roll)

KyriakosCH

Just to make sure, my entry is disqualified (would be immoral for it not to be, given it would mean people lose my vote, and according to custom I couldn't have voted for my own story for 1-2-3 anyway) :)
Nor did I vote, given of the other entries I only read Mandle's (like I said, you wrote large pieces and I am very lazy :/ )

Mandle

By my reckoning, involving much complex math and possible voter-fraud:

KyriakosCH is our winner with 4 pts and Baron and Sinitrena both come in tied at second with 3 pts each.

If KyriakosCH is serious about disqualifying himself then Baron and Sinitrena  can either host the next round together or have a cage-fight to decide the host.

Sinitrena

Nononononono, you do not shirk your responsibilities like that, young man!  (laugh) After two weeks you could at least cast a tie-breaking vote.  ;)

Besides, leaving it open like that (K won, but withdrew, so B or S can start a new round?  (roll)) - that only leads to no-one starting a new round. Be decisive!

But if you really want it to stand like that, I have no good ideas for a new topic right now and feel more like writing anyway, so Baron choosing the new theme would be perfectly fine for me.
On the other hand, I took over for Reiter last round, so he technically also still should start a round.

KyriakosCH

Much as I would have liked to win by default due to tampering by myself ( := ), indeed I cannot accept it ^_^

But I do appreciate the thought, Mandle. (50 euros sent through the usual paypal; just insist a little more and we have this  (laugh) )

Baron

Wait, what?!?  I don't think KyriakosCH should be able to withdraw after the voting period has started.  And besides, he hasn't hosted a competition yet, so I vote he hosts the next competition. 

Congratulations KyriakosCH!  ;-D

KyriakosCH

Well ok, I can host the next competition, but without having officially won :)
I suppose I cannot enter if I host? (or is this not true? Mandle entered here, but it wasn't a serious attempt, apparently)
Also, if I host the next one, you should know it will be flash fiction (let's say up to 500 words)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk