Where is everybody

Started by BarbWire, Sun 30/08/2020 14:20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Babar on Wed 02/09/2020 08:12:12
And Ali for confusing me into thinking "Hey, another muslimbro on the forums, I'm not alone!". SO MANY YEARS I WAS DISILLUSIONED

Not the direction I thought this thread was going! Sorry for not being a Muslim, everyone.

Cassiebsg

There's still time to change and convert!  ;)

if (!muslim) player=muslim;
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

Damn, Reiter. That was a nice post. Others made nice posts too, but that was a lot of text and it was time well spent to read.

Quote from: Babar on Wed 02/09/2020 08:12:12
And bicilotti for burning in the image of breakfast in bed from a bald, velvet-bathrobe-clad italian stallion into my head forever

do not want

LimpingFish

Quote from: Adeel on Wed 02/09/2020 05:12:45
I've been in this community for 7 years now, and I've seen a lot of stuff that has gone down over the years. I've been friends with many people here (and still keep in touch with some of them on Steam, IRC, Facebook from time to time). Several users have been disillusioned with the way things are run here. They have told me so and others in private.

That saddens me, as I would never like to think myself capable (not that you're accusing me) of causing somebody to leave the community. And I feel safe in saying none of the current moderators would be happy to feel that way either. If that is the case, though, all I can offer is my willingness to talk about it with these users. If their leaving was for reasons I can help with, then I would certainly like to do so.

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 02/09/2020 10:08:28
I just wish for everyone to get on.... We all say things and make mistakes at time... we're only human...

Indeed. One of the things I admire about my fellow moderators, when faced with a controversial situation, is their willingness to first look for a diplomatic resolution, and only initiate mod powers as a last resort. Bad situations rarely go beyond post deletions and warnings, though (very!) occasionally it can lead to a temp-ban.

But, yes, I too would like everyone to get on. :)

Quote from: Fitz on Wed 02/09/2020 09:06:43
All disillusionment pales in comparison at my horror at the discovery that this isn't really Chicky:

You think that's upsetting? Try being mentally unable to refrain from reading every single forum reply in the imagined voices of every single forum avatar!  8-0

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ponch

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 03/09/2020 01:33:31
You think that's upsetting? Try being mentally unable to refrain from reading every single forum reply in the imagined voices of every single forum avatar!  8-0
Dude, I know EXACTLY what your avatar sounds like!  :=

LimpingFish

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 03/09/2020 01:45:49
Dude, I know EXACTLY what your avatar sounds like!  :=

I hope it's like classic, Tex Avery Droopy Dog.

EDIT: Also, it's Saturday night, so I'm drunk. My avatar sounding like Droopy will probably strike me as a lot less funny in the morning.

Mandle

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 06/09/2020 02:55:51
My avatar sounding like Droopy will probably strike me as a lot less funny in the morning.

Did it?

Dualnames

Babar, unacceptable that I wasn't mentioned with the mosque burnings and all that.

On my side, I've been more productive and less active on the forums, it happens guys. Between my personal thingies and working on Strangeland there's fewer time to spend on AGS forums, I do love this place a whole lot, it will always have a special place in my heart, no matter what, still in my locked tabs, will never leave it. <3
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LimpingFish

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 06/09/2020 10:03:28
Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 06/09/2020 02:55:51
My avatar sounding like Droopy will probably strike me as a lot less funny in the morning.

Did it?

Can't tell. I'm still drunk...

Blondbraid

So I spend half the summer away on vacation and take some time getting back on the forums because I have lots of other stuff to catch up on,
paired with art block keeping me from working on new AGS projects and keeping up with the engine, and now I feel like this:

the_schut

Guess we outweighingly all agree that classical point n'click adventures are the most boring thing ever existed. They simply jangle with their linear clunkiness between annoying puzzles and unavoidable dialogues speedclicking. And that's why there is so little, if at all, feedback for authors even here (since no one can be bothered to play them).

So what has been the secret success secret of this forum: It's communion. One could find many likeminded people here, dedicated to their dreams they want to self-express. Originally this lame genre was an ok'ish purpose in the 90's for writing, composing tracks or pixelating. Don't get me wrong, each of these artsy disciplines are still great for itself. But foremost, it has always been great fun to hang out here, with these rare 2,3% people on the playful scale. Most of them rather outsidey snowflakes, but decent. Like you and me.

Yet with holding on this tediously boring game concept until today, less and less usable "really good friend" material can be found here. Increasingly unable to connect to soulmates, people got angry and bitter. And moved away to other shores, a lucky few with their friendships established here.

Though not me. I gonna stay here and endure. In case anyone humble and smart seeks an honest friend, don't hesitate to PM me, so I can send you the questionnaire.

BarbWire

To The_Schut

Point n' click adventures, the most boring thing that ever existed?
I think not.

Endless games have been made using this format and I never tire
of them. 

What is the point of talented AGSers investing a great deal of time,
and effort, into producing these games if most people share your opinion.

I know that nowadays players prefer simplicity and can't be bothered with
anything that requires too much brainwork or exploration, but if you want
an entertaining experience, then look no further.

Snowflakey, but decent , I do agree with. May it always be so.  :-D

Blondbraid

Well, every single word The_Schut posted in the above comment just look like a bad attempt at trolling the AGS forums to me.

milkanannan

How dare you judge the legitimacy of a user that’s been here a whole nine days!  (laugh)

BarbWire

I thought the same as Blondbraid, until I read the amusing comment
made by Milkanannan.

I wish I'd thought of checking the credentials of The_Schut.

He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and is a few pixels
short of a completed image.  (laugh)

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 31/08/2020 15:38:51I worry that the AGS forums have become too... elitist. Too stringent. Too unfriendly and new users are put-off by it.

the_schut

Very sorry for putting established people off here. Of course the wording was overexaggerated, just to state a far edged point of view which may is not totally invalid. And yet I still stand by that core message:

The community aspect here is by far the strongest point for me. Still is, and should be emphasized.

Yet the typical gameplay (interface, puzzle design,room-based) of adventures (derived from those text/image hybrids of Legend Interactive interfaces) is clearly something to revisit. Even established veterans like Charles Cecil sorta agree on the shortcomings of it. How to achieve such needed non-linearity and compelling narrative design for the semiprofessional allrounder is a adifficult question, both in theoretical mechanism as well as codewise implementation .

But ok, I am a dumb and an ignorant troll.

BarbWire

Sorry, Darth, I don't want to prove your view that AGSers are an
unfriendly bunch.

Let's all grow thicker skins.  :)

BarbWire

To the_schut

Everybody is entitled to express an opinion, and shouldn't take
it to heart if other people don't agree with them. it is, for the most
part, just harmless banter. A way to give your fingers a good workout
on the keyboard etc.

If dumb and ignorant trolls are like you, then they can't be all bad.

Let friendship reign.  (laugh)

the_schut

Thx for clarifying. Right, everything said here should be taken with a grain of salt, since it's only a hobbyist forum. And you are a woman; gonna try to be my best.  :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk