Where is everybody

Started by BarbWire, Sun 30/08/2020 14:20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbWire

Your post actually made me laugh.  (laugh)

Hope we can be besties now.  :)

Blondbraid

Well, with the following replies, I'm willing to give the newbie the benefit of the doubt for now.

Mandle

@the_schut:

Did you also know that the included template for AGS being about creating point-and-click adventure games can be disregarded and that you can make whatever kind of game you like with this engine?

BarbWire

Good on you, Blondbraid.

We will be a shining example for everybody else to follow.  :)

BarbWire

Very true, Mandle.  (nod)

Take a game like 'Tales of Jayvin' (Shameless plug here)
It can only be played using keyboard or controller.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 16/09/2020 12:36:01
@the_schut:

Did you also know that the included template for AGS being about creating point-and-click adventure games can be disregarded and that you can make whatever kind of game you like with this engine?
Well, it still has to be in 2D (although I've seen some clever coding to give the illusion of 3D in some projects),
but other than that I've seen people make both arcade shooters, fighting games and racing games in the AGS engine.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 16/09/2020 16:17:00
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 16/09/2020 12:36:01
@the_schut:

Well, it still has to be in 2D (although I've seen some clever coding to give the illusion of 3D in some projects),
but other than that I've seen people make both arcade shooters, fighting games and racing games in the AGS engine.

Well, yeah, if, as an indie game dev working on your own, you want to make a game in full 3D then go Unity or Unreal Engine, and be willing to compete with Triple-A studios and pour the next 5 years of your life into the game, only to then realize that the technology has already outpaced you.

BarbWire

It's amazing how this thread has morphed since I first posted.

It reminds me of a story, I once heard, about soldiers in the trenches. (WW1)

An order arrived saying 'Send reinforcements we're going to advance.' This
was passed, by word of mouth, and by the time it reached the last in line,
he was told....'Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance.'   :)

If only. This is, of course, a bad joke.

Anyway, judging by the amount of replies, I should say that my original post
has been, well and truly, indirectly answered.

milkanannan

Off topic: Barbwire, what’s up with the formatting of all of your posts?

Mandle

Quote from: milkanannan on Fri 18/09/2020 00:19:44
Off topic: Barbwire, what’s up with the formatting of all of your posts?

I'm guessing they are using their device zoomed in for larger text size?

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 16/09/2020 16:26:11

Well, yeah, if, as an indie game dev working on your own, you want to make a game in full 3D then go Unity or Unreal Engine, and be willing to compete with Triple-A studios and pour the next 5 years of your life into the game, only to then realize that the technology has already outpaced you.

This is actually an excellent reason to keep doing retro-looking games: they cannot get more out of fashion than they already are.

BarbWire

Milkanannan

I don't know whats so strange about the formatting.
It's easier on the eye, almost like poetic verse, and
my personal choice. I like to be different.

So there.  :P

Stupot

I don’t know what what’s so strange about the formatting.
It’s easier on the eye
Almost like poetic verse,
And my

Personal choice.
I like
To be

Different

So there!  :tongue:

BarbWire

Ha, Ha, Ha!   I haven't laughed so much in ages. Please keep 'em coming. Just what's needed in these dark days.  (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Fri 18/09/2020 01:53:56
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 16/09/2020 16:26:11

This is actually an excellent reason to keep doing retro-looking games: they cannot get more out of fashion than they already are.

Exactly my thoughts! Most players also do not bring unrealistically high expectations with them as well, so a quality low-or-no-budget game can really make an impression.

BarbWire

Hi Mandle

I would like to thank you for answering my first post constructively.

Also, you have steered the topic back on course, when things have got
heated or silly.

I think it is time for the mods to lock this, now, as i feel it has run its course.

SinSin

SinSin here long time lurker, very occaisional commenter.

Its a tricky one to answer without saying whats already been said. I've met a few AGSers overs the years and can honestly say that everyone I have met IRL  from here have been awesome and out of those only 4 or 5 remain here these days.

I suppose some people move on and find other less complicated hobbies. Others don't get time to post these days as their lives got busy. As for me the reason I tend to lurk and not respond is down to me over thinking absolutely everything I want to write. I also had it in my head for a long long time that I wasn't enough of an intellectual to contribute, some people here are coding geniuses others are incredible artists whereas I am marginally good at a few of the things here.

I have been around for 15 years and hope to start getting some content out soon. As for posting who knows maybe I'll try offering my 2 pence everynow and then.
Currently working on a project!

BarbWire

Don't worry about contributing SinSin. It took me a while to pluck up the courage to post, but once I did
I enjoyed the experience.   So, please do offer your 2 pence now and then.
I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour, in the near future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk