AGS games in schools

Started by heltenjon, Tue 01/09/2020 09:55:31

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

Schools today don't rely solely on books, but frequently use digital learning assets, either on computers or tablets. My kids certainly use a lot of this. During the Corona Lockdown this will be even more important.

Some of the games in the AGS database are clearly intended for kids and/or educational purposes. Have anyone here used AGS games in schools? Did they work well?

Even some games not intended for this could be useful in education, I think. In Norway, the norse poem Thrymskvida is on the lesson plan for the 17-year olds. This text may be a bit difficult, so why not supplement it with allowing them to play Thrymly Disguised, for instance? (https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2332-thrymly-disguised/). Likewise, maybe there are some games that could be useful in history class due to their setting, or based on literature on the curriculum.

One area where such games could work well, I think would be Religion. While most games in that vein here play off the known facts and mostly use Christianity as a backdrop, I think a game where the goal is to perform a ritual in the prescribed manner could work. (Or would it be too boring?) And I'd play a game about Buddha even as a non-student. In Scandinavia, noone would raise an eyebrow about this, but maybe using games to teach religion would be controversial other places?

Maybe I am too optimistic and today's youth won't accept the retro graphics or game mechanics of AGS or adventure games? What do you think? Have anyone already done this? Do you have ideas about games that could work, perhaps for different age brackets? I know lots of teachers who are always on the lookout for that little something extra to spice up their lesson plan.  ;)

Mandle

My first ever AGS game, "My Very First Adventure", was a game I made with my students at the time over a three day seminar.

Another of mine "Easter Encounter" was also made with students, but is really more just a "stage pageant", with the kids voicing the characters, than a game.

I am currently working on another game with students, "Islands In The S.E.A.", but it's going to be a while before it's ready for release.

As for using AGS games in class:

I have played both of Cat's "Cornelius Cat" games with my students, as well as her "Kanji Gakusei". All were very well received.

Also currently playing through my "own" game "Adventures Of The Black Hand Gang" with my class now. They love it!

I have also played my game "Feng Shui And The Art Of TV Reception" with the same class once as a walkthrough, and probably next week we will play it again based on their memory of how to complete it. They loved the unexpected ending and want to see it again.

I feel that point-and-click adventure games are especially useful in classes like mine (English as a second language) because I mostly control the game based on the students having to express what actions they want to try in English like "Put the hook on the rod." etc.

Very good for making them form sentences with verbs and nouns especially.

Sinitrena

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 01/09/2020 11:08:13

I feel that point-and-click adventure games are especially useful in classes like mine (English as a second language) because I mostly control the game based on the students having to express what actions they want to try in English like "Put the hook on the rod." etc.

Out of curiousity - How useful do you think are text-parser games in this regard?

I remember when I was a kid and didn't speak english yet, I somewhat managed to play through point-and-click games and did get at least parts of the story, but text-parser were impossible. Maybe that's why I still have a general dislike for text-parser games.

And in the same vain, what about text adventures? (If I remember right, "Adventures of the Black Hand Gang" is closer to a text adventure than a point and click one, isn't it?)

Ponch

A lot of my students struggle with English. I may try something like this later in the year. i wonder if 7th graders are ready for Oceanspirit Dennis?

Cassiebsg

Uhm, I grew up with parser and for me at least, I'm convinced it helped with my english. Even if the sentences you needed to write were a bit limited "open door", "take bag" (there was LOT to read and understand though)... but I do feel and consider they had a positive influence for my english.  (nod)

Though I was not technical a "kid" longer, but more like an "new" teen. Can't remember exactly when I got the pc and started playing them though (but probably 13 or 14).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Wed 02/09/2020 01:04:36

Out of curiousity - How useful do you think are text-parser games in this regard?

I remember when I was a kid and didn't speak english yet, I somewhat managed to play through point-and-click games and did get at least parts of the story, but text-parser were impossible. Maybe that's why I still have a general dislike for text-parser games.

And in the same vain, what about text adventures? (If I remember right, "Adventures of the Black Hand Gang" is closer to a text adventure than a point and click one, isn't it?)

Yeah, in Black Hand Gang you click on the clue in the picture and then have to type in a word or two to complete the sentence explaining why the clue was pertinent to the solution of that puzzle. So the kids get a bit of typing and spelling and grammar experience doing that. As for the whole page of text that tells the story on each page, I usually summarize that part for them so each page doesn't take like 15 minutes. The comprehension level of the writing is a little above them still.

I think Cassie's answer to the "text paser" question above sums it up. I have used Zork with more advanced students before because the game encourages full sentences instead of truncated grammar. I feel it's not the best idea for students to learn "get book" first and then have to adapt to "get the book" or "pick up the book" later although, if they understand, as Cassie did, that this is not the correct way then at least it helps with spelling and noun/verb learning.

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 02/09/2020 03:38:18
i wonder if 7th graders are ready for Oceanspirit Dennis?

I'm not sure if I was ready for Oceanspirit Dennis!  (laugh)

heltenjon

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 02/09/2020 20:47:02
Uhm, I grew up with parser and for me at least, I'm convinced it helped with my english. Even if the sentences you needed to write were a bit limited "open door", "take bag" (there was LOT to read and understand though)... but I do feel and consider they had a positive influence for my english.  (nod)

Though I was not technical a "kid" longer, but more like an "new" teen. Can't remember exactly when I got the pc and started playing them though (but probably 13 or 14).

I second that. Those of us who had played adventure games expanded our vocabulary quite a bit. Of course, nowadays the children and kids are watching international TV or Youtube, and they are exposed to a lot more English than we were. But the parser games were played at home, never in school.

cat

I've learned my first English words from Kings Quest III (not that I was ever even close to finish it, but it was fun nonetheless).

As Mandle has mentioned already, I made two educational games:
Mr Bear Teaches English, an English learning game for toddlers
and Kanji Gakusei where you learn how to write a few Japanese characters

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk