New Dune film trailer

Started by KyriakosCH, Thu 10/09/2020 00:48:50

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

I'm a big fan of the Dune soundtrack (though my mileage with Toto in general varies), and would consider it part of any list of essential '80s sci-fi/fantasy soundtracks (see also: Beyond Thunderdome, Legend, The Neverending Story, etc)

Also, it now seems we'll have to wait until 2021 for Villeneuve's take.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

KyriakosCH

bump :)

I watched the new movie now.
I think there may be backlash. Personally I didn't like it, but I am not the target group (haven't read the books).
It's very likely that people who haven't watched either the older movie, the tv show, or read the books, won't be able to follow the story or view it as incredibly fragmented...
Also I was surprised that
Spoiler
they didn't even bother to mention Piter's relation with Jessica
[close]
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

VampireWombat

It's apparently been too long since I've seen the 80s movies, Scifi Channel miniseries, or read the books.

Spoiler
I can't think of any relationship between Piter and Jessica. I've even done a few searches and can't find any kind of relationship or link between them. So I'm now assuming you're referring to either something specific to the new movie or something fairly minor.
[close]

KyriakosCH

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 19/09/2021 18:44:22
It's apparently been too long since I've seen the 80s movies, Scifi Channel miniseries, or read the books.

Spoiler
I can't think of any relationship between Piter and Jessica. I've even done a few searches and can't find any kind of relationship or link between them. So I'm now assuming you're referring to either something specific to the new movie or something fairly minor.
[close]

Spoiler
It is possible that it's minor (or not even in the book? It is in the Dune wiki, but doesn't say if it's book-sourced). I mean that Piter wanted to have Jessica as his concubine. At any rate, he has been considerably reduced as a character when compared to the Lynch movie; doesn't have many scenes and doesn't talk to Leto or the Atreides mentat(s) either.
[close]
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

heltenjon

I just watched the Dune movie, and I quite liked it. I haven't read the book, only played Dune 2 and watched the Lynch movie, which didn't make a huge impression on me.

Of course, any comparison to a huge novel is bound to be disappointing. However, I felt there was spent enough time with the characters to give me an idea about who they were. It doesn't explain everything, but rather shows examples that I could get an impression from. For instance, it's not explained what a mentat is, but you see them in action, and you can recognize them from how they look. I had no trouble following the storyline, and I liked the actors and the world building.

But the familiar landscape of coastal Norway is probably more exotic for other viewers than me.  :-D I didn't get a "different planet" vibe out of that.

bx83

Btw, for lovers of music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prcrtb_sxL0

But they picked their own tune. pfft.   :sad:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk