Sprite Jam: Dancer (Results)

Started by Sinitrena, Thu 10/09/2020 04:36:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Hello, welcome, to a competition we didn't have here for a while: The Sprite Jam!

In the Sprite Jam, it is your mission, should you chose to accept it, to draw a Sprite (Character, Object, Inventory Item, ect...) according to some rules.

Because I feel like celebrating this revival of a long-standing competition in the forums (even though it has been a while since the last one) I think we should have a little dance party. And what do we need for a dance party? Well, dancers of course.

It doesn't matter if it's a classical dancer, ballett, hip-hop, standard, belly dance, futuristic or anything else you can think of. It doesn't even need to be a human dancer.

There are no restrictions as to colours, size or anything else.

If you want, you may animate your sprite, but that is not required.

Deadline: 24. September
Extended: 27. September

lorenzo

Nice theme! I like that there's no restriction on sprite's size.
Thank you for reviving the sprite jam! :cheesy:

Sinitrena

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 10/09/2020 09:27:03
Nice theme! I like that there's no restriction on sprite's size.

Glad you like it.

BTW, thanks also to Gilbert for allowing me to start this round.

And to get you all in here, let's have a look at the shiny trophies you can win:

Edit: That's better. Now the trophies have their transparent background.

Cassiebsg

Uhm, i did get a weird idea... but it's fan art, is that allowed?  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Sinitrena

Sure, why not? You still have to do the drawing, so as long as you don't trace over an exicting image, I don't mind. For fairness's sake, you should provide the picture your fan art is based on, so that people can see what is your own work and what isn't.

That reminds me, the description in the forum charter for the sprite jam states that the host decides the winner, which would make this the only competition without voting. Is this what people want?

Cassiebsg

It's more a 3D model than a drawing, though.  ;) But sure, I'll provide a pic of the original. Thanks.  :-D

Edit:
The rule is just fine for me. It's nice not having to decide once in a while.  (laugh)

Sinitrena

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 11/09/2020 16:14:50
It's more a 3D model than a drawing, though.  ;)

Drawing, modeling, .... For all I care, you can set a mosaic in your backyard and take a photo, as long as we get a whole lot of entries.  ;) (laugh)

the_schut

@Sinitrena Thank you for bringing the wonderful JAM back!

- reserving space -

Sinitrena

What a beautiful young lady!
Keep them coming, guys.

Reiter

I am unsure if this is a permissible entry, as it is not a 'spritey-sprite', but rather a concept sheet. Do take a look, and see if it fits the conditions.

Spoiler
[close]

'The Blade-Dancers of Xamokolos are the sacred dancers of the Alabaster court. These priestesses are all skilled summoners, and formidable at the art of binding and summoning weapons from the void.
They defend the kings of Bal Cilorn with their lives, slaying all would-be assassins that penetrate the palace, and they delight the king and his court with their dances and magnificent sword-play. However, the king's captivating dancers are also the greatest peril of his life, for he knows that if he were to lose his divine mandate, his silken guardians that love him so will cut him down and quarter him without hesitation.

Experienced priestesses summon and hold a dagger above their heads at all times as a symbol of their skill and their high rank.

Sinitrena

I basically accept just about anything that has anything to do with sprites for this round, mainly because I just want to revive this competition. Other people might be more stringent in the future. That said, as nobody has said anything against the host choosing the winner (see above), I will be the one to decide and I will most likely consider how well something can actually be used as a sprite in a game, as one of many factors.

You all can still object to me having all the power (muhahahaha) if you prefer a voting.

Sinitrena

Only a couple days left! Get your entries in.

Cassiebsg

I won't make it, been busy with RL and haven't even started.  :~(

Sinitrena

Would you like a weekend to work on it?
Requests for extensions are easily granted - as long as someone asks.

Cassiebsg

I do have a couple days free, but have other stuff and I want to do, and sitting at the computer isn't one of them... maybe if I feel inspired I'll build a sprite...  (roll)

Sinitrena

Well, then, I gladly offer a few extra days. Deadline extended: 27. September

Cassiebsg

I got tired of searching for the bricks, so digital prototype it is...  (roll)

With and without BG:

Created with LDD (Lego Digital Designer)

Creamy

What do you have in store for me today, mighty pen?

Sinitrena

Okay, the deadline is up and it seems it is my job to decide on a winner. First of all, thank you all for your entries. We have a bit of a dominance of ballett dancers here but they still all ended up fairly different.

@Jack: I love your entry. It's amazing how much personality you give this lady with so few colours. The dynamic is impressive. It really lookes like she's like in the middle of a piroutte: in the way the skirt swings, the hair whips around her head, the legs and arms are clearly not finished in their movement. For a static image, it almost seems animated. And I'm especially impressed that you inserted this much life into her with just a few colours. I have two small critiques: First of all, I don't think I can really count this as a sprite of a dancer. It's the (sprite of) the picture of a dancer. The whole effect would be lost if the background were not there. The fact that both her skin (and skirt) and the background are both black clearly adds to the dynamic and without it, I don't think it would work so well. The second point is probably something most people don't even see like I did: It just looks like her left nipple (right on the picture) hangs really low, actually, as if it points downwards. All in all, from an artistic point of view, this is my favourite entry.

@Reiter: This entry is on its way to becoming a sprite but not quite there yet. I really like the idea and how much of the idea you describe is also visible in the art. Despite being a static picture, the acessories shown (knives, cape) show a lot of possibilities for an eventual animation. The different poses also show a lot of what we can expect later in a game. There are also a lot of other small details that add a lot, like the symbols on the clothes or the hair styles. All in all, there are just so many details that make you curious to how this sprite will be used in a game, while at the same time also already telling a lot.

@Cassiebsg: I'm glad you managed to get your entry in. I'll be honest, this is not an art style I like all that much. Nevertheless, I think it could be interesting to see this dancer inn action. Even though the face is a bit blocky  ;) I like how you can still see concentration and joy there - though I also somehow get the impression that she might be stumbling in this "photo" instead of dancing. She looks like she was caught in the middle of an accident, as if she's still learning her craft. I'm not sure this was the effect you were going for or if other people see this as well, it's just the impression I got.

@Creamy: I'm curious, what kind of bird is this and is there some kind of context to it? Anyways, it seems to me that the proportions might be a bit off - one leg alone is as thick as the hip? Might be correct for her species but it looks slightly off. I like the colours you have chosen for her. What she's wearing looks very much like a costume on stage, with the intricate details over her breasts and the fact that she is wearing leggings tights underneath her skirt. The gesture she makes with her hand (and the fact that she's not on her toes) looks less like she's in the middle of a dance (which wasn't required) and more like she is waving at the audience, a bit dismissive and a bit tired. It adds personality to her that the fairly simple face does not.

And that leaves me with the following decision:

Our first place and the golden Ballett Dancer (weirdly appropriate, considering most entries) goes to Reiter for their Blade-Dancers. Congratulations.

The second place goes to Jack's beautiful dynamic dancing Queen, who is artistically my favorite even though she unfortunately doesn't feel all that much like a sprite to me.

And the third place goes to Creamy's tired professional dancer, who's surly glad to have finished her performance for today.

Cassie's Lego Dancer reaches a good fourth place by a tight margin.

This leaves just one duty to me: to give the conducting stick to Reiter - It is your duty to start the next round.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk