What's up with the ad count in this site? :o

Started by KyriakosCH, Tue 15/09/2020 19:44:04

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

My adblocking program shows literally thousands of ads being blocked!!!
Never seen such a thing in any other site :) Can you explain the weird ad-counting phenomenon? (I mean surely there wouldn't be 10.000 ads if I just turned it off, but why does it count so many?)

For comparison, it counts less than 10 ads in largish game forums, like for the Civilization games or Total War.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Retro Wolf

I'm not running an ad blocker, chrome on my phone. not seeing any ads.

AGA

There are no ads on the AGS site.  We do use Google Analytics for usage data, but no ads.  Can you get a list from the adblocker of the elements it thinks it's blocking?

KyriakosCH

It seems the adblocking program counts virtually everything here as an ad :)
10.000 is just the count I bothered to let it run up to. It may reach far greater numbers, as in orders of magnitude larger.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Gilbert

My guess, as we here don't support (mainly image) hosting, most of the images (in the posts, your avatars, signatures etc.) are remote links, and the adblocker possible considers everything linked remotely (also, the other remote links, such as links to game downloads, etc.) a candidate for an ad.

Matti

My adblockers list a lot of elements, that could be blocked, but nothing, that should be blocked, eg. no ads. I don't think your adblocker considers these elements ads either. I use my adblocker sometimes to disable annoying pictures or other stuff that isn't advertisement.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk