Translation not working on game Setup

Started by FolieduJour, Fri 18/09/2020 03:49:32

Previous topic - Next topic

FolieduJour

Hi Everyone!

I'm creating my first mini game with AGS.
I have no programming experience, but with the help of the manual and some tutorials I was able to complete the game.
But I ran into an issue while trying to do the translation from French to English.
I followed the explanations from the manual:
-added a translation
-Filled the empty lines with the translation
- Compiled
-I ran the game Setup program, and selected the translation from the drop-down box

And then the game is still in its original language.
I have no error message.

However after playing the game with the "english translation", I noticed one word that was different from the original language:
One inventory item called Manekineko, I translated it into the same name in English (probably could have left the line blank). But in the English version this item took the name of the next line of the trs file: the name of the next item in French.
Like if they recognized the translation as the original name and the next line as the translation  (wtf)

Also I opened the trs file with visual studio code, some letters in French are not recognized and there's an interrogation mark instead.
I changed the encoding from UTF-8 to a few others to see if it will work but nope.
It might interfere with the translation.

Maybe I should put the English as the default language and add the French translation instead?

{EDIT}
Actually I see that I can rewrite the correct French letter on the file and the game seems to recognize the translation. I only did a few for now but hopefully it will work...

{EDIT 2}
I changed the letters back to normal French letters.
The translation is working except for the parts where there are accents not recognized by the visual studio code. Then it appears as still French on the game (the letters are recognized by AGS)
I think that before I might have accidentally deleted a line and it shifted everything, so nothing was recognized.
Now it only doesn't recognized the parts where there are French letters on the original language.

Sorry for the multiple edits, I'm trying to solve the problem on the same time  :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk