BYO Hero - The Free and Full-length AGS Adventure for Parents & Kids - COMPLETED

Started by ToeKnee, Sat 19/09/2020 18:01:52

Previous topic - Next topic

ToeKnee

BYO-Hero *DOWNLOAD FREE* >>  https://byo-hero.itch.io/

The full-length AGS Point-and-click Adventure game for parents & kids > where YOU get to be the HERO!

I am EXTREMELY happy and so excited to announce - that the full release of BYO-Hero is now available for FULL download for free here: https://byo-hero.itch.io/byo-hero

INTRO VIDEO:

YOU (your drawing/picture HERO) has been unceremoniously thrown out of the Royal castle. You find yourself left alone in a forest with nothing in your possession and you soon realise that you have been booted out since you were next in line to the throne!
You must use your wits and skills and, the help of your sister Abbey, to try and get back into the castle and back into your role. This is the first part of what may be a 3 x part series depending on uptake and requires you to complete many tasks and some puzzles.

The game is designed to re-engage kids into the genre and can be played WITH your kids. The game uses animated cartoon drawings as the playable character and includes hundreds of voice dialogs to engage with!
This full-length, free game was written on Adventure Game Studio 3.5.0.

Adult Players should turn Hints: OFF (makes the game a little harder)
For MS-Windows based computers only. Game Version 20.20.09.21.HS

Key Game Features

• Designed to play WITH kids, so you are both challenged
  • Game HINTS help you on your journey (Turn hints OFF for harder Parent-mode)
  • Save and Restore games - to keep your progress
  • Point scoring throughout the game (find them all!)
  • Kid friendly! (no violence actions or text that will offend children)
  • 33 hand-crafted screens, objects, animals and characters
  • Game Sounds and Music throughout to suit the scenes
  • More than 200 Voice interactions
  • Unlimited Inventory of items you can use
  • Full mouse click game operation throughout and Dyslexic fonts used for those with disability
  • A game MAP you can use to get around the game fast (if you can find it!)
  • Variable game Speed, Volumes etc

This is the full-length, free game, and was written entirely on the Adventure Game Studio platform. Enjoy!
- Special THANKS to HeltenJon for his unreal patience and persistence in thorough testing! and the one and only Crimson Wizard for his technical help.

Some Screen Shots (without giving anything away at all!!):

If it’s not broken, let’s fix it till it is...!

CaptainD

Lovely stuff, will definitely play this with my kids!

Congrats on the release.

heltenjon

I'm looking forward to seeing the final version. I've spent some hours testing this game during earlier stages with and without my kids, so of course I'm biased, but I'll still say that this is a very impressive full length family friendly game, especially considering this is the author's first release.

And if you have no kids around to play the game with, just channel your inner child and give it a go regardless.  :-D

Congrats on the release!

Mandle

I know what game I'm gonna be introducing my students to next week!

ToeKnee

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 20/09/2020 01:20:37
I know what game I'm gonna be introducing my students to next week!

Thanks Mandle. Can you tell me more about this or PM me if you wish. I would really love to know more about the class/students plan you have and where this game might be used/played! thats the reason it's free - so as many can enjoy as possible.

Also any feedback would be great. See how they go with the difficulty.... but i was thinking that i might upgrade the hints engine so that if you have HINTS turned OFF (eg a skilled player is playing) then I can make some of the tasks a lot harder!

Also this game uses ACCESSIBLE fonts (Dyslexic friendly) and mouse clicks for all actions for the whole game > so it is also designed to be played by those with disability!!

inwaterinair

I've a small bug to report: I found the map in my inventory before I found the tunnel  and was able to go to the castle via the map.
Lovely game, by the way :-)) The timed hint system is a nice touch, too!

ToeKnee

Quote from: inwaterinair on Mon 21/09/2020 21:20:35
I've a small bug to report: I found the map in my inventory before I found the tunnel  and was able to go to the castle via the map.
Lovely game, by the way :-)) The timed hint system is a nice touch, too!

Thanks so much for the wrap!
- 2 days ago I updated the game a bit to make it a little HARDER if you turn hints off (parent mode!)
To make changes in the game I also use the MAP - for testing etc since it takes me anywhere I need to go of course! After packaging the new updates etc I loaded to itch.io and then, 5 min later, realised I hadn't turned the Map OFF!! So I did and uploaded the new version over the top.
On checking, ONE person (=you!!!), had downloaded the version with the MAP on!!!! - before I had re-compiled and updated the version WITHOUT the Map... that small window let you slip through!! :-) so you have the only version in the world that has the Map from the start inwaterinair!!!
Re-Download if you can - and you will see it all works as usual...

ToeKnee

Oh dang... I had NOT disabled the Inventory Item in the uploaded exe I had compiled, so a few other downloaders also get an easier run!!! :-)

All updated now in Game Version 20.20.09.23.HS thanks: https://byo-hero.itch.io/byo-hero

ToeKnee

Quote from: splat44 on Fri 25/09/2020 05:17:10
I also made other observation:

Spoiler
About branch for getting hair pin, according to hint it seem to indicate branch should near overpass (where I got bananas I think) but isn't here or no hotspot
[close]

Can you explain that?
Thanks SPLAT for your feedback. These things are quite easy to update in the game and I don't want anyone confused, especially kids!
- So I have made those updates based on your feedback - See items 1 and 6 below (worded on the devlog so that no one gets help from them as a spoiler)

Please see the updated version of the game at:
- https://byo-hero.itch.io/byo-hero/devlog/182095/updated-game-version-20200927hs

27/09/20: Updated Game Version 20.20.09.27.HS
- 01 Solved: Updated Sticks HINT Text description with ordering of two tasks to complete
- 02 Updated: Added HINT light bulb in Settings Screen and change it's status based on HINTS On/Off setting'
- 03 Updated: Changed MAP Inventory Graphic (new icon that also now says 'MAP' text under it)
- 04 Updated: Changed HINT wording for Beaver to replace text: him with her
- 05 Updated: Added POINTS for giving Beaver what she needs (Lowered other areas so total points remain the same)
- 06 Updated: Added term 'Walkway' to HINT that relates to it

milkanannan

ToeKnee

I feel like this whole 'LEG' of assistance should be moved (if possible) to AGS Hints & Tips area
- For finding help when you're stuck when playing AGS games
- https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=7.0

Can this be done?
T

Moderators note: Done!

ToeKnee

Thanks SPLAT for moving hints to the relevant Forum section!!

QuoteI feel like this whole 'LEG' of assistance should be moved (if possible) to AGS Hints & Tips area
- For finding help when you're stuck when playing AGS games
- https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=7.0
Can this be done?
T

Moderators note: Done!
[/color]

ToeKnee

Please note that a full Game Map, Dependency Map and also a Game Walkthrough have all been added under the HINTS section for this game here;
- https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58532.msg636641517#msg636641517
(this is in addition to the option setting of in-game hints that can be turned on)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk