Voting system on the games pages

Started by blur, Wed 29/04/2020 21:36:46

Previous topic - Next topic

blur

When I look at the all games list I wonder if not enough people are voting on the games or if they vote at all. Even games having scores of downloads show "Not enough votes yet". How much votes does a game need for the votes to be shown? Should the threshold be lowered perhaps?

Cassiebsg

I think the threshold is 5. And I don't think it should be lower.
I think people just forget to vote and give feedback, me included.  :-[
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

blur

Yes, five seems low enough, but it does not help if not enough people vote.
I vote for every game that I played because for me it is the least miniscule sign of respect and gratefulness to the authors.

Stupot

Yeah. Pretty much nobody rates the games. I’ve tried organising ratings drives in the past but they don’t get a lot of traction, although they have resulted in some broken links being fixed.

I think the rating system itself needs simplifying. We’d be better off with an easy one-click 5-star system.

CaptainD

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 01/05/2020 08:56:17
Yeah. Pretty much nobody rates the games. I’ve tried organising ratings drives in the past but they don’t get a lot of traction, although they have resulted in some broken links being fixed.

I think the rating system itself needs simplifying. We’d be better off with an easy one-click 5-star system.

I like the idea of an easier rating system, but whether it would actually be easy to implement in the site code may be another matter.

In all honesty I had been downloading games here for ages before I even realised you could vote (I can be quite unobservant though!  :grin:)

fernewelten

Last time I tried to vote on a game, I was given a questionnaire that asked for my rates on several aspects. For each aspect, there was a specific scale that I should adhere to. Okay, fair enough.

But I had the impression that the system then wanted to calculate an overall score from my individual rates, using some formula that wasn't disclosed. And that I did NOT think fair. I wanted to reserve the right of deciding what aspects I find particularly important or particularly off putting in a specific game (i.e., depending on its genre, style, subject matter, etc.). I wanted it to be _me_ instead of some calculation to decide the overall score that I assigned to the game!

Also, the questionnaire seemed to _force_ a vote on each of the aspects, without giving the option of saying "No vote" or "No opinion" or "Not applicable".

I resented that system so much  that I refused to rate that game on any aspect -- and I closed the browser window on the questionnaire without sending it off.

So, well, yeah, sorry.
I might have misunderstood something at that time. It might have been changed in the meantime. I wouldn't know.

heltenjon

Sorry to ask something probably obvious, but: When a game reaches five player votes, is the player rating set and published automatically? Or does someone (a mod or someone from the ratings panel) have to give an ok first (to avoid manipulation or abuse)? There seems to be quite a few games with many comments, but not enough votes. I hope the process is automated with possibility for the mods or AGA to check votes.

Cassiebsg

Thing is, that you can comment and not vote. So having 20 comments and not enough votes is completely possible, if only 3 or 4 people decided to vote.

I think the voting rating is automatic.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

heltenjon

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 17/10/2020 12:48:51
Thing is, that you can comment and not vote. So having 20 comments and not enough votes is completely possible, if only 3 or 4 people decided to vote.
I know - I've used it myself to report that the download link isn't working and similar issues.

QuoteI think the voting rating is automatic.
I just found out for sure that it is! I went back to see if I'd forgotten to rate something I recently played, rated A Prelude to an Adventure by Hobo, and the game got its player rating right away.

Sinitrena

I'll add this here instead of a new thread.

When you forget to choosen an option when rating a game, you get this message:

QuoteYou must select an option in each listbox. Please go back and try again.

This is fine, except that it loads a new page and when going back the comment you have just spent some time on writing, as well as all selections are gone.
Would it be possible to mark forgotten boxes instead of loading a new page, so that this doesn't happen?

AGA

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 20/10/2020 15:43:08
I'll add this here instead of a new thread.

When you forget to choosen an option when rating a game, you get this message:

QuoteYou must select an option in each listbox. Please go back and try again.

This is fine, except that it loads a new page and when going back the comment you have just spent some time on writing, as well as all selections are gone.
Would it be possible to mark forgotten boxes instead of loading a new page, so that this doesn't happen?

In the Next Versionâ,,¢, sure.  I was fiddling around with having front end input validation on the game creation form too, for similar reasons, but I don't think it ever went live.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk