Any plans to make a pseudo-3d (still entirely 2d) engine addon?

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 23/09/2020 07:48:07

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

It would really be useful. I suppose one way to do it would be to allow for simple rotations and perspective through a built-in image manipulator similar to the one in Gimp (and an alternative way would be to have those not even with the images rotated/twisted in real time, but allow for pics in a progression of such rotations and perspective twists).
In this way you could link everything up and allow the sense that the room is 3d.

Not sure if I can do something like this with the current engine (I doubt it, due to inability to ghost-move images, ie afaik they have to move to a point by passing a whole area?).
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Crimson Wizard

If it's about 3D simulation with skewed/rotated bitmaps, then this may be done in script too. It will be relatively slow though and extra burden on CPU. To be fast it has to be real, then it will use gfx card and accelerated math.

I will link this older reply of mine to similar topic, because it contains some examples of 3D scripts in AGS (which may or not be relevant....): https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58131.msg636621378#msg636621378

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 23/09/2020 07:48:07
Not sure if I can do something like this with the current engine (I doubt it, due to inability to ghost-move images, ie afaik they have to move to a point by passing a whole area?).

Of course you can, you may set X and Y properties of any object by hand.

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 23/09/2020 07:58:38
I think the nearest we may have is Khris' Rotation Module.. It was made for 3.0

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=33122.msg600818#msg600818

As seen from description, this module uses existing AGS functions, only making it more convenient.

PS. To answer the question directly, no there are no such plans atm. There are numerous other problems with the engine in the priority list. Frankly if I'd plan anything like this, I'd go real 3D support at least in terms of visuals.

KyriakosCH

I'd love to have a 3d addon, for example making use of simple blender objects (low-poly). :)
I will also try the module Slasher linked, as well as experiment with some own ideas.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Cassiebsg

Both Gurok and Scavanger have done some "looks like first person 3D stuff"...  (nod)
So, yes, it's possible.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Alan v.Drake

I think there are better engines for 3D, but we'd like to add some 2D effects like accelerated scaling/rotation to give people more flexibility,

- Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk