The Halloween Party - a short game

Started by guga2112, Sat 26/09/2020 21:38:14

Previous topic - Next topic

guga2112

Hi everyone,
two weeks ago I joined a game jam on itch.io (https://itch.io/jam/104-adventure-game-challenge) and today I submitted my entry.

https://gugames.itch.io/the-halloween-party

It's very short and the puzzles make little sense, but when you have to create a game in 14 days you can't be too picky (laugh).

Have fun playing it!

VampireWombat

Show off, finishing and submitting a full day before it's over. lol

Ponch

Swap the Pink Floyd poster for an Iron Maiden one and you'd have my room when I was in high school.  :cheesy:

heltenjon

Hey, this is a quite good little game! The author is underselling it a bit, I think. There are about ten locations and not so few puzzles, either.

I particularly liked
Spoiler
making Charon lunch and fooling Mr. Strawberries.
[close]

lorenzo

It's a fun game and quite long for being made in two weeks!
Creative story, nice locations and some good jokes. Definitely worth playing!

Shadow1000

I'm impressed people finished! I just spent over an hour
Spoiler
trying to get a halo. I think the lights are supposed to pass as the halo and it has to do with the button that changes them from seizure to glow to quite sad but none of the 3 positions pass. How did you guys pass this?
[close]

lorenzo

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 08/10/2020 04:23:38
Spoiler
trying to get a halo. I think the lights are supposed to pass as the halo and it has to do with the button that changes them from seizure to glow to quite sad but none of the 3 positions pass. How did you guys pass this?
[close]
Spoiler
That puzzle is based on colours.
If I remember correctly, the colours cycle and you have to press the button at the correct frame of animation (when the lights are yellow).

Unfortunately, for people who have trouble seeing colours, there's nothing telling you which colour the lights currently are (or at least, I haven't found it). :undecided:
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 08/10/2020 09:08:31
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 08/10/2020 04:23:38
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
That puzzle is based on colours.
If I remember correctly, the colours cycle and you have to press the button at the correct frame of animation (when the lights are yellow).

Unfortunately, for people who have trouble seeing colours, there's nothing telling you which colour the lights currently are (or at least, I haven't found it). :undecided:
[close]

Thank you for your help!

I do have trouble seeing colours so I got past this using trial and error. I am wondering HOW you figured this one out? As I said, it took me about 5 minutes to get to that point and then stuck for an hour. I am trying to understand the thinking process to figure out that
Spoiler
Yellow means valid halo
[close]

guga2112

Hi, sorry if I never answered!

When I made the puzzle I never thought about color blindness. I'm sorry.
I should have added a description saying which lights were on, I'll add it when the game jam is over and I'll be allowed to update the game.

Spoiler
The puzzle is made of two parts: finding something that resembles a halo, and making it difficult for Death to see what you're holding. It's easier to solve by trial and error. If you show the lights in the wrong color, Death says that he's never seen a halo glow like that. For other things, he says that it doesn't even look like a halo. So it hints that the lights are halo looking. But halos are yellow :) but also: if Death has a clear view, while he says "that doesn't look like a halo" for other things, he says "I can CLEARLY see it's Christmas lights", again hinting that the object is correct, but you need to do something more to fool him
[close]

I hope this explains it!

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 08/10/2020 15:39:20
I do have trouble seeing colours so I got past this using trial and error. I am wondering HOW you figured this one out? As I said, it took me about 5 minutes to get to that point and then stuck for an hour. I am trying to understand the thinking process to figure out that
Spoiler
Yellow means valid halo
[close]

My reasoning was that
Spoiler
Death said he had never seen a halo glow like THAT. So I thought that I had to change how it looked. In hindsight, yellow or white would be the obvious choice, given how halos are usually depicted, but I tried with other colours first.  :-[
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: guga2112 on Thu 08/10/2020 16:21:43
Hi, sorry if I never answered!

When I made the puzzle I never thought about color blindness. I'm sorry.
I should have added a description saying which lights were on, I'll add it when the game jam is over and I'll be allowed to update the game.

Spoiler
The puzzle is made of two parts: finding something that resembles a halo, and making it difficult for Death to see what you're holding. It's easier to solve by trial and error. If you show the lights in the wrong color, Death says that he's never seen a halo glow like that. For other things, he says that it doesn't even look like a halo. So it hints that the lights are halo looking. But halos are yellow :) but also: if Death has a clear view, while he says "that doesn't look like a halo" for other things, he says "I can CLEARLY see it's Christmas lights", again hinting that the object is correct, but you need to do something more to fool him
[close]

I hope this explains it!

I really appreciate that.
Spoiler
Not being able to tell colours, I actually didn't realize that halos are yellow. At the beginning, a guy with a mustache waltzes through to the afterlife, and I recall he had a halo. Was that yellow? I'm just curious
[close]

So far I LOVE the graphics and the jokes are hilarious. The transparent effect for the ghosts is pretty awesome and I hope my experience with the puzzles improves. Are there other puzzles that require proper colour vision/identification?

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 08/10/2020 16:36:50
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 08/10/2020 15:39:20
Spoiler
Yellow means valid halo
[close]

My reasoning was that
Spoiler
Death said he had never seen a halo glow like THAT. So I thought that I had to change how it looked. In hindsight, yellow or white would be the obvious choice, given how halos are usually depicted, but I tried with other colours first.  :-[
[close]

Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense now. When you can't tell colours you don't relate to colour or knowing that things are a certain colour as being part of a puzzle solution, but I do get it now.

In all the years of playing AGS games, I don't think I've seen a
Spoiler
puzzle that relates to an animated inventory item, requiring it to be in a certain state to solve the puzzle. This might be something new!
[close]

guga2112

Yes, the halo on the guy was yellow. I'll try to put a bit more text hints, thanks for letting me know :)

There's another puzzle where color is indirectly involved, but it's not a visual puzzle, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Shadow1000

So, I finished the game! I REALLY enjoyed every minute. It was funny, unpredictable, and great puzzles. Ending was a bit sad but I think that when a game evokes emotion, it speak a lot about the immersiveness.

Good luck in the competition!

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 09/10/2020 01:00:48
So, I finished the game! I REALLY enjoyed every minute. It was funny, unpredictable, and great puzzles. Ending was a bit sad but I think that when a game evokes emotion, it speak a lot about the immersiveness.

Good luck in the competition!
I second everything Shadow1000 says. Now, let's vote and give the game a rating in the AGS database! I've voted - the game needs five AGS-ers to vote in order to get some cups.

Julius Dangerous

graphics looks awesone, love this style :=

heltenjon

Congratulations on winning the game jam! I haven't played all the entries, but I'm glad the judges share my feelings about your game.

VampireWombat

I congratulated you yesterday on Discord, but congratulations again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk