In Memory of Shane "ProgZmax" Stevens

Started by MiteWiseacreLives!, Mon 28/09/2020 05:51:30

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

Hey guys, I can’t for the life of me remember his AGS handle, but years ago when I first came around here he was pretty active here. Wykstrom has been over on Twitch for a while doing art and gaming things, no AGS anymore. Anyway he passed away last week to cancer, pretty sad. Thought someone should say something over here, I kinda suck because I can’t remember the games he made.. maybe some of you good folks remember

(Edited by moderator to use the name he was known by here.)

Mandle

I thought his name was just Wyk or at least remembering someone with that name or similar.

heltenjon

It seems his handle here was Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Snarky

I'm very sorry to hear that. I met Shane at Mittens 2012â€"I remember we argued about the second amendment, but he also DMed an afternoon of a role-playing game for us, and we hung out around the pool, drinking and talking.

ProgZmax was an active and valued member of the forums for many years, often offering helpful art advice in the Critics Lounge. And he was also a very talented pixel artist who contributed graphics for some of the best AGS games made. Limey Lizard is a personal favorite for me.

RIP, Shane.

arj0n

Sorry to hear this.
Limey Lizard was indeed awesome.
RIP, ProgZmax...

Ali

That's a huge shock, I had no idea he was ill.

Snarky

There's a GoFundMe for his family (who apparently struggled with the medical bills for his care) here, which also gives more details about his illness:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/wykstrom-cancer-care-fund

Stupot

Oh damn. That is shitty news.

His game Mind’s Eye was one of the first AGS games I ever played, possibly before I even joined the forum.

Rest In Peace, Progz.

Dualnames

I had no idea. Progz's way of coloring things was/is just magnificent, these are quite sad news :(
I spent a lot of time around Progz, during the stickam days.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dave Gilbert

This is terrible news. I worked pretty closely with Shane during my freeware days and the early years of Wadjet Eye. We’d sadly lost touch over the last 5 years and we haven’t spoken much. Now we never will. RIP Progzmax. And eff cancer.

DBoyWheeler

Damn.  So many great people dropping these days, be it cancer, COVID, or worse things.

He'll be missed indeed.

Babar

Oh dear...I had no idea. I had been missing him for a while here on AGS. He was always quite active on #AGS, and then also on Stickam/tokbox/whatever we used to group voicechat on. So much of my art was informed by him, as was so much of my AGS experience.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Slasher

fred

Deeply saddened to hear this. ProgZmax was such a kind and helpful person here on the forums, and a very skilled pixel artist.

Vince Twelve

This is terrible news.  Shane was the artist responsible for the expressive characters of Resonance.  He always had good ideas to turn a scene from ten to eleven and was a great sounding board during the creation of that game.  Thanks for pointing this out Mite. (And thanks again to Tom for bringing it to my attention. And to Snarky for pointing me towards the GoFundMe.)

Miez

I met Shane at Mittens 2012 as well - we had some long talks about animation and game design. He was a great animator and an awesome pixel character artist. I didn't know him very well, but I'm positive he will be missed. And as Dave already so perfectly summed up: eff cancer  :cry:

Nikolas

SinSin

RIP Progzmax. I Spoke to him a few times when we first started the cup rating system wayy back in 07  alway aspired to be as good a pixel artist as him.  :(   F cancer in the A
Currently working on a project!

Grundislav

This is incredibly sad news.

I met Progz at Mittens 2012, and he was the voice of the old prospector in Ben Jordan 2. He was always very passionate about his work; we've lost a talented guy.

RIP Shane

IndieBoy

What sad news.

He was really supportive of me back in my pixel art days and was a very talented man that knew what he liked. I do have fond memories of watching most of the development of Limmy Lizard on Stickam many years ago and how he wanted to make basically an adventure game that was like an episode of The Smurfs.

It is a real shame to hear of his passing.

RIP
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk