Tune Contest, May 3rd - June ?

Started by Sluggo, Sat 03/05/2003 05:02:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Sluggo

Alrighty, new rules:

*Music must be of some other origin than Western music (although I will accept folk music styles from Western culture)

*Instruments will be restricted to ethnic instruments with the exception of these orchestral instruments:
flute, oboe, violin (fiddle), harp, percussion
        -ask if you have any questions about this-

*Please try to stay away from jazz, blues, rock and the like

*This is not a rule, but extra points for modal music (if you don't know what this is, you can probably find an explanation online somewhere)

*File size is limited to about 1 megabyte

Have fun!  ;D

Pet Terry

Hmm, interesting rules. If I find some time I can try to make something :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Sluggo

Hmmm, does anyone plan to enter? Did you decide not to because of the rules, or just didn't have the time? I'll change the rules is that's blocking people.

It did seem like this contest was kind of dying though

n3tgraph

* N3TGraph airguitars!

Sluggo

Well, I guess I'll just wait until someone enters...

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Yeah, I like the rules, but I'm way too busy with stuff like writing music for other people's games, and whatever.

EldKatt

Interesting. I'm in. Would it count as modal even if it has the occasional derivation from the scale? Like dorian with a flat sixth thrown in somewhere?

n3tgraph

* N3TGraph airguitars!

EldKatt

Indeed, I did. But I only spent about 10 seconds of my life writing the reply, so I couldn't think of a reason not to. In case the thread comes alive again.

Quote from: EldKatt on Wed 18/06/2003 13:06:51
Interesting. I'm in. Would it count as modal even if it has the occasional derivation from the scale? Like dorian with a flat sixth thrown in somewhere?

Well considering that flatting the sixth of a dorian scale gives you a descending melodic minor, obviously not :P

EldKatt

Actually, consistently flattening the sixth in a dorian scale would result in an aolian scale (another mode). But, anyway, I was talking about a temporarily flattened sixth. Just one. A little one. :P

Trapezoid

Adamski

Hey man, I didn't spent the last four years learning music theory the hard way to play by ear :)

I wish I could remember it all... I have an exam on it tomorrow (DSCH, DSCH damnit!)

Trapezoid

There's a good point somewhere between natural music and constructed music-- I find that the best music is carefully constructed but still based on what sounds good rather than numbers. And there's no equation for funk, baby!!

EldKatt

Name one really successful composer who isn't the slightest bit educated in the art of composition. ;) And you do need some knowledge of music theory in order to play by ear too. (Not necessarily advenced formal training, but knowledge. Experience.)

I think music should be based on what sounds good but still staying within the limits of what's reasonable. And in order to sound really good you need some theory.

Trapezoid

Of course, but there's a point where you know TOO much music theory and can lose touch with the primal driving force of music. Knowing chords and general composition is obvious. Formal music theory tends to involve passing over your own instinct. Music has a random heart, and if there were ever a Greatest Song Ever I imagine it would break a lot of rules.

Fuzzpilz

Music theory is a set of rules? Did I miss a memo?

undergroundling

Since I've heard both EldKatt's and Trapezoid's music and they are both talented in their own rights, I'd be hard pressed to say that anyone "needs" theory or "needs" to do this or that or anything.  Each to his own, I say.  Something that works for one person may not work for another, but as long as the end result sounds good, does it really matter how it was made?

- Bryan

Quote from: Trapezoid on Thu 19/06/2003 19:06:32
Of course, but there's a point where you know TOO much music theory and can lose touch with the primal driving force of music. Knowing chords and general composition is obvious. Formal music theory tends to involve passing over your own instinct. Music has a random heart, and if there were ever a Greatest Song Ever I imagine it would break a lot of rules.

Only if you let it. Beethoven must have known all the music theory there is in the world, but that didn't stop him kickstarting the romantic period. Take a look at his 5th symphony (which is a pretty good candidate for Greatest Song Ever) and don't tell me he could have done that with just a rudimentory understanding of chords.

Trapezoid

Classical music is a different field, and yes most great composers new a lot of musical theory, but it's the wrong place to look if you need something catchy and spontaneous.
Y'know, I'd go so far as to say that nobody need to study musical theory. The best thing is to listen to a lot of music and make a lot of music. I think that in music, experience > education. Of course, I'm still learning, but I don't like words like "dorian"... I'm sure I can use a dorian scale, but I don't see any need to know what it is if it would affect my musical judgement.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk