Tune Contest, May 3rd - June ?

Started by Sluggo, Sat 03/05/2003 05:02:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

chances are it will be worthless garbage.

But now that I think about it, I'd say half the stuff doesn't even apply to whatever kind of rock/metal music you might write.

Note if you will the pronoun "you" :P

Sluggo

Maybe it's because I was talking to Trapezoid  :o

I fail to see the significance of your response.

undergroundling

Guys, this seems to be getting a little off topic.  Instead of y'all wasting time arguing (because this is starting to get a little out of hand) maybe someone could actually *gasp* submit something and get this bloody contest over with!

- Bryan

You insulted the work of somebody who I appreciate as a composer, so I responded. And because you have no suitable counter-arguments, you resort to saying that you weren't talking to me, DESPITE the fact that you posted on a public board, instead of PMing your comments to the person in question.

undergroundling: why? I'm having fun here  ;D

undergroundling

If we're gonna debate the merits of musical theory, that's fine, but it looks to me like Sluggo just turned this thing into a flame war.

The musical debate was fun though!  :P

I have to agree with Archangel though, it was a bit inappropriate to go off insulting Trapezoid's work, considering many people on this board, including myself, appreciate and have used his music in games and he is a fairly well respected member of the community.

Actually, I think the flame war is the fun part ^_^ we never get to have a good one around here, the mods lock the topic as soon as anything even resembles getting interesting :~(

undergroundling

Bah, what do I care anyways :P

I guess I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks.

Trapezoid

undergroundling

Trapezoid: Your avatar scares me.  It looks like a cross between Bill Gates and Alfred E. Neuman.  I always wanted to tell you that.

Sluggo

Woah, this whole thing has been completely misinterpreted. I never insulted Trapezoid's  music, and the only reason I said I was talking to Trapezoid was in response to the pronoun post. I meant the pronoun was referring to Trapezoid, so therefore I was talking to him. You can't just take everything out of context and use it against me.

What was interpreted as insulting Trapezoid's music was this part, right? :

"I personally believe that you can't break the rules without mastering them first, so you can go ahead and try, but chances are it will be worthless garbage."

I never said anything he wrote was garbage, just it MIGHT be if he did what I referenced to.

Is there anything else you misinterpreted that I need to explain?

Well, if you go through your post and change all the 'you's for 'one', then it wouldn't be insulting. Saying "But now that I think about it, I'd say half the stuff doesn't even apply to whatever kind of rock/metal music one might write" can't be misinterpreted, whereas the way you put it makes it sound like you think Trapezoid makes heavy metal. Jeez, you're such a stickler for music you'd think you would be able to apply some rules of grammar...

;)

undergroundling

Well, after the whole "you" comment and such, which was preceded by declaring that if Trap made music without theory, it would sound like garbage.  Then you said that you have heard Trap's music.  Considering Trap had already said he didn't over-theorize stuff, and you had heard his music, and you said lack of theory would produce garbage, you can logically extrapolate your conclusion that Trapezoid's music = no theory = garbage.

And as to your last comment, claiming that you weren't referring to Trap's music:

"I used the phrase rock/metal because I didn't know what kind of ultraspecific label Trapezoid liked to categorize his music as."

So it DID sound as if you were insulting his music.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

- Bryan

Sluggo

Well, in that section of the post I WAS talking to Trapezoid and HIS music, and it still isn't insulting if you actually understand it.

Your big argument seems to be that I insulted him by calling his music heavy metal. I already explained the rock/metal phrase, and I don't have anything against people who write heavy metal, so what exactly ARE you talking about?

EDIT: This post is in response to Archangel's.

undergroundling

Sluggo: was that a response to me or archangel?

EDIT: Ah, ok, nevermind.

It's the way you seem to write off any kind of music that doesn't involve 36 layers of counterpoint and a symphonic orchestra. Trapeziod quite clearly doesn't write heavy metal music, and so your comments "whatever kind of rock/metal" and "ultraspecific label" are patronizing, demeaning, and insulting. I fail to see how you can't appreciate this.

Sluggo

Undergroundling: I never said "no theory" = garbage. I said that breaking the rules before you master them = possible garbage. I think there's a big difference. Also, I think that Trapezoid's as well as most music I hear posted here contains theory in it. It's obviously not intentional, but composers who listen more than they read about music can do theoretical things aurally without knowing exactly what the techics of it are.

:)

Archangel: It may seem like I'm patronizing, but I really don't know much in the way of popular or alternative music on the radio and such. But I used the term "ultraspecific label" because I think it is kind of rediculous to have so many subgenres and people getting really anal about which you choose to label things, as you have shown.

undergroundling

With a little more explanation, I see what your point it, but I do believe you could have made it a little more clear without coming across as being condescending about it.  I'm sure your intentions were good, so, no harm done.

Now everyone kiss...er...shake hands...and make up.

- Bryan

It's all well saying that now, but that's not how you came across in your original post. But hey, that's life, eh? I say we bring this thing to a close now. I'm sorry for possibly overreacting, and I'll accept your explanation as an apology.

*BIG GROUP HUG*

Now I've gotta get off to bed, it's way past my bedtime :)

Sluggo

yeah ok, I'm done ranting.

Now will someone PLEASE enter this contest?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk