Tune Contest, May 3rd - June ?

Started by Sluggo, Sat 03/05/2003 05:02:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

Quotecomposers who listen more than they read about music can do theoretical things aurally without knowing exactly what the techics of it are

Yep, that was my point. I prefer not to think about theory, because it's there anyway and at a natural level.

Adamski

Trap, you're really restricting yourself as a musician by refusing to have anything to do with 'theory'.
And Sluggo, I urge you to expand your horizons. It confuzzles me how someone that is so passionate about music can shun everything that isn't 'classical'. There is so much out there that can touch your soul in many different ways. Experiment, borrow stuff from the Library, and most importantly listen to anything by Boards Of Canada.

Pumaman

What's the big deal with "Someone has to enter this contest"?

Why don't we just say something like:  "this month's contest is over, Archangel please start a new thread with the rules for next month".

Instead of sitting around bickering forever  :P

Trapezoid

I don't restrict myself, I just prefer to learn through experience rather than research.

Anyway, here, I've entered.
http://www.eviltrailmix.com/japanese.mp3

Adamski

That's sort of like trying to learn Shaolin Kung Fu by watching Jackie Chan films.

scotch

:( why are the musicians so serious ._.

At least in the art threads you don't have to worry if you only know how to use the line tool and lens flare, you can still have a bit of fun.  Might look ugly to some but it gives everyone a chance, and when pessi posts his awesome pics with perfect light and shadow and texture people can go wow.. the nice thing is it caters for everyone.

Probably why so many people find it so hard to get into music..

Trapezoid

More like learning Kung Fu by practicing Kung Fu and watching others do Kung Fu. A lot.

Gregjazz

Okay, I'm in.

Here's the tune I wrote specially for this contest. Enjoy!

Hope it follows all the rules:

http://www.freewebs.com/thefind/chinese.mp3

scotch

Geoffkhan, put http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/ in front of your urls, freewebs don't allow hotlinking (at least didn't for me) and that lest people get around it.

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.freewebs.com/thefind/chinese.mp3

EldKatt

Here's my tune:
http://biphome.spray.se/erik.igelstrom/bagpipecanon.mid

A canon in D dorian for three bagpipes. Plays first the whole theme in one voice, then again with an insertion in the second voice, and then again with all three voices. Yay. I've made no attempt to make the mid actually sound like real bagpipes (ie add ornamentation), but it gets the point through. :P

I could still try to record it with my own Swedish bagpipe (a lot more similar to 'medieval' bagpipe models than Great Highlands are) if anyone's interested.

EldKatt

This will be my last words in this debate, because I felt I just had to say them. :P No more debating for me thank you. Let's just all give eachother a couple of big hugs.
Quote from: Dark Stalkey on Wed 02/07/2003 23:56:32
That's sort of like trying to learn Shaolin Kung Fu by watching Jackie Chan films.
Quote from: Trapezoid on Thu 03/07/2003 00:07:00
More like learning Kung Fu by practicing Kung Fu and watching others do Kung Fu. A lot.

I rarely say that anyone is 'wrong', but you're both wrong. Very wrong. Music theory (by which I mean the technique of composition) can be learnt equally well by listening to, reading, and playing a lot of music as it can with formal eduction. (Although formal education is very faulty indeed if it doesn't involve observing.) You can learn everything by observing and practicing it. Formal education just offers the opportunity to learn the techniques without as much of the sometimes tedious observation.

I've been thinking about a way to correct you, and the fact that finally comes through to me is that you just can't compare it to Kung Fu. You can get good at composition without formal education. This is not true with Dark Stalkey's example. But formal education does fill an important purpose, unlike Trapezoid's example tells us.

Bottom line... To everyone who disagrees with Trapezoid: Remember that formal education isn't some form of ultimate truth or golden path.
And to... well, Trapezoid ;): Understand and remember that formal education is good for you. It improves your skill and it's nothing to be afraid of. It's good. But it's not the best and only thing in the world.

(EDIT: I just read his post (the kung fu one) again more carefully, and it turns out Trapezoid wasn't as wrong as I made it sound. He was actually half right. ;) Sorry.)

Gregjazz

Nice bagpipe song, EldKatt. You might want to play the song in through a keyboard instead of entering it note by note -- it would sound a like more less mechanical.

Maybe add one of those Celtic drums and a fiddle and turn it into one of those mixolodian jigs. :)

bspeers1---

Quote from: Trapezoid on Thu 03/07/2003 00:07:00

People who do this look silly.

Trapezoid

But it's music, not Kung Fu. I don't have a list or anything, but I'm certain that many great musicians didn't have a formal musical education.
No artform requires you to major in anything. Art doesn't need to be tought like any other skill. It's a matter of creativity, prolificacy, and experience. If you don't understand the balance between calculation and soul, expected and unexpected, then your music becomes uninteresting. That's my musical theory, and I didn't read it in a book.

Besides, don't black belts often end up getting their asses whooped when they go up against uneducated brawlers?  ;)

Sluggo

Discussion:
Dark Stalkey: I never said I only listen to classical; there's other stuff I like. But what I meant is that there isn't much music in general that has any significance, regardless of how "infectious" it is, and that a lot of classical music is included in that category. But I'd also wager to say that about half of all classical music composed actually has any significance.

Trapezoid Quote:"Besides, don't black belts often end up getting their asses whooped when they go up against uneducated brawlers?"

This kind of ties into something I said earlier about breaking the rules, that you shouldn't break them until you master them. The black belts have mastered the rules and the uneducated brawlers just break them. The brawlers beat the black belts because the latter is still following the rules, so in order for the black belt to defeat the brawler, he must intelligently break the rules also. OK, enough philosophy (if you could even call it that).

Competition:

I would like to thank all applicants and just say that it was difficult to choose because all three pieces were quite good.

And the winner is... EldKatt! for his lovely bagpipe rendition. Go ahead and start a new competition thread.

And so ends the two-month-old tune contest.  8)

EDIT: I just thought of something clever:

Kung Fu is to Jackie Chan as music is to N'sync   ;D

Trapezoid

Now you're getting personal.
Mr. Chan is the best.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Is this a music contest or a debate contest? :P

Hard to tell. ._. Chill, people.

EldKatt

(Well, I said I were not going to say anything more in this discussion thingie, plus I probably can't say anything I've already said.)

Aaanyway... Yay. *bows* Thanks. :P

Now let's start a new competition. ;D

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Right, glad that's all sorted out. :P Locky time. ._.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk