Teru Teru Bozu, Japanese magical doll

Started by FolieduJour, Tue 29/09/2020 12:20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

FolieduJour

Hi everyone!

This is my first attempt at creating a video game.
I had a lot of fun using AGS. Thank you to the creators!

Story:
You have plans to go see the cherry blossoms today.
But it's raining...
Use the objects in your room and, with the help of Japanese traditions, find a way to make the rain stop.

Download link:
https://foliedujour.itch.io/teru-teru-bozu

Let me know what you think   :smiley:

Pogwizd

Congrats on the release. The images look really nice. When I have a moment, I will give your game a go, although my knowledge of Japanese traditions is non-existent...

Pogwizd

A really nice little game with similar mechanics to games by Rusty Lake :)
I got stuck, though. I think the descriptions could be a little bit more detailed, as I tried using, inspecting and examining everything I could but still didn't get the idea of what I should be doing next.
Spoiler

I have a broom, a fan, a string, an ink, scissors, a twig, a cat figurine. Don't know what to do next :)
[close]

FolieduJour

Hey ! Thank you! I'm glad that you like it!  ;-D
Yes I actually had the idea after playing rusty lake games.

Spoiler

Did you see the book with the explanations?
It might help you understand what to do.
Next thing you can do is use the broom, don't think about something too complicated for this object
[close]

lanchong

That's a sweet escape room game. Love it.

@Pogwizd
Spoiler
Use the broom on the floor (near the wardrobe I think) and you'll get cat hair. Get a branch from the bonzai tree. Combine the branch and cat hair to make a brush. The rest should be easier.
[close]

Pogwizd

Thanks to you both! I've managed to finish the game :)

I like the fact that the game educates the player on Japanese folklore/traditions (what certain objects are called and what they're for etc.).

Shadow1000

Lots of random clicking around and combining objects!

Spoiler
how did you get the ink...??
[close]

As well, does anyone know how to save?

FolieduJour

Spoiler

Take the cheese
Give it to the mouse hole
Take the poster and put it next to the other ones
Take the key
Open the drawer at the table
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: FolieduJour on Tue 20/10/2020 04:57:19
Spoiler

Take the cheese
Give it to the mouse hole
Take the poster and put it next to the other ones
Take the key
Open the drawer at the table
[close]

Thank you. And what about the
Spoiler
fabric
[close]
?

FolieduJour

Quote from: Pogwizd on Mon 19/10/2020 10:42:38
Thanks to you both! I've managed to finish the game :)

I like the fact that the game educates the player on Japanese folklore/traditions (what certain objects are called and what they're for etc.).

Thank you! I'm glad that you liked it  ;-D
Yes I wanted to share some bits of Japanese culture. Glad it worked  :P

FolieduJour

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 20/10/2020 04:58:07

Spoiler
fabric
[close]
?
[/quote]

Spoiler
That would be later
Once you can take the Daruma, put the manekineko instead it will open the drawer
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: FolieduJour on Tue 20/10/2020 05:00:54

Spoiler
fabric
[close]
?

Spoiler
That would be later
Once you can take the Daruma, put the manekineko instead it will open the drawer
[close]
[/quote]

Thanks, I actually figured it out.

I figured out most of the solutions. I think the reason I had so much trouble is because it's hard to know where the hotspots are and the logic of a lot of the puzzles is just not intuitive. Most of it is "well, maybe if I try..."

Anyway, for a first game, really enjoyable graphics and animation. I as well learned a bit about Japanese folklore. Overall a good experience. Good luck in future games!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 20/10/2020 05:05:24
Quote from: FolieduJour on Tue 20/10/2020 05:00:54

Spoiler
fabric
[close]
?

Spoiler
That would be later
[close]

Thanks, I actually figured it out.

I figured out most of the solutions. I think the reason I had so much trouble is because it's hard to know where the hotspots are and the logic of a lot of the puzzles is just not intuitive. Most of it is "well, maybe if I try..."

Spoiler
The only one I needed a hint for was the broom. The ink took probably over an hour but I did get it before the solution was posted.
[close]

Anyway, for a first game, really enjoyable graphics and animation. I as well learned a bit about Japanese folklore. Overall a good experience. Good luck in future games!

heltenjon

What a charming escape game! I've played it some nights in a row now, and finally made it through without hints. Beautiful drawings and suitably exotic (for me, at least). And a challenge. The logic behind the puzzles isn't always straightforward, but that's par for the course in this genre. But an option to save the game would have been nice.

Even though the game doesn't always use normal logic, the tasks are hinted at enough to tell the player what to do.

And finally: All you who played this - remember to go to the games page and vote/rate. We need at least five votes to give the game a player rating. Your vote is crucial.  (nod)

EDIT: The game isn't added to the database! FolieduJour, please add it so we can vote for it! You do this by going to the games page and click on 'Add your game' down in the corner. This will make the game more accessible and probably generate a lot more plays.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk