Sprite Jam: Knight (Concluded)

Started by Reiter, Wed 30/09/2020 23:18:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Reiter

Sprite Jam - Bring Me Champions

Goode morrows, ye valiant ladies and gentlemen of Aegeeseria! Welcome to this round of the most fun Sprite Jam competition!

I, your king, require brave and bold knights to quest for the ancient blue cup, that mystical elder artefact of Aegeeseria. Therefore, I ask of you to provide me with:

Knights of the Blue Cup.

You shall make a sprite of a Knight, and submit a picture of it in this thread. You have 3 weeks to complete it, although the crown is prepared to provide an extension, if needed.

As I am the king, I shall judge the submitted entries and dub the winner. I do, however, encourage you to discuss them. I also encourage you to provide a little description of your sprite.

I will judge them based on their look, their usefulness as a game sprite, and how well they use the theme. Do not hesitate to experiment with the concept. A knight of the night flying a kite, for instance.
Concept art and rendered models (even photographs of sculptured plants) are also allowed, although I shall consider their future use as a sprite when I judge the entries.

There are no restrictions of size and colour.

You have until the 22nd of October to make and post your Knight in the thread.

If you require an extension, do not hesitate to ask. It can be arranged, within reason. So, grab your lance, mount your charger and sally forth and bring me a knight!

Summary:

Make a sprite based on the word Knight.

Post it in this thread.

The Deadline is 22nd of October, Year of our Lord 2020.

Do not hesitate to ask, if you have questions.

Cassiebsg

Ah! A chance to make a new knight for Pete!
Inspiring topic, maybe it'll push me to finish that game!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Sinitrena

DBoyWheeler

@Sinitrena Try to take on that knight, and you'll get more than "just a flesh wound".

I look forward to the other entries.

Creamy

I took this opportunity to test Open Toonz (free). It's very good!

"Let's see how well you fight with this big cup."

Misj'

So...my last post to AGS was three years ago. But who can resist drawing a knight? - I can't.

I wanted to draw someone who was battle-hardened and a bit - well - affected by his past deeds.

Apart from the original sketch in Corel Painter, I decided to make the entire character using vectors (in Affinity Designer)...just because I rarely do (I like using vector images, and use them often; just not for characters and the likes).

EDIT: if the lines are 'jagged' in the browser, it's due to the fact, that the CSS contains the property image-rendering: pixelated. So if this happens to you. Just open the image on it's own on a separate tab (or another browser)...or ignore it. That's also a possibility of course.

guyNullVal

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/SNv0QkV.png[/imgzoom]

Hark! My king, a knight from the coast of Spain, a conquistador.
Sir Juan Gonzo, also known as 'El Tonto', by foes and allies alike.

He has heard of the quest for the sacred Blue chalice of Vitae.
Your request for the greatest heroes in armor, has summoned him here and though he lacks a steed he answered the call.

He has no need for a sword and shield for he knows no danger.
He has never heard of Dragons,
or ogres
or common bandits.

He is the champion of the bargain and has offered his services for a mere 50 copper pieces Sire.

Reiter

Ha! Ha! Excellent! Excellent, stout Aegeeserians! A splendid selection of knights before me! I am sure they will be valiant and hearty warriors of the blue cup. A wide array of styles and methods. Truly, you have made me worried. Picking between them will be difficult.

I am very fond of them all, and shall sit down to judge them soon.

However, the more the merrier. Is there anyone else with a knight in the wings who need an extention to finish it?

Creamy

A nice bunch of tin cans  (nod)

I just realized that the pictures hosted on my blog appear on Mozilla Firefox but not on Google Chrome  ???

Reiter

Heroes of Aegeeseria! The bell has tolled, and I hereby declare the Fellowship of the Blue Cup!

Once again, an excellent selection. I shall retire to compare and judge them, for a few days. Do discuss them. I think they are splendid. I particularly like the vast range of styles.

Expect your rewards then, stout warriors!

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 22/10/2020 21:29:41
A nice bunch of tin cans  (nod)

I just realized that the pictures hosted on my blog appear on Mozilla Firefox but not on Google Chrome  ???

I see it; it is jolly good!

Quote from: Misj' on Sun 18/10/2020 21:28:08
So...my last post to AGS was three years ago. But who can resist drawing a knight? - I can't.

Ha! An excellent return, and a splendid knight, too!

Sinitrena

I'm glad I'm not the one to judge these antries. They are all fantastic.

But I do wonder when Reiter will tell us his decision?

guyNullVal

I love how different they all are  :-D it's really creative.

Reiter

First, my royal apologies. It has been a long week. But here are the results! And more importantly, your prices!

Of course, a word on each piece - in order of appearance.

Sinitrena

An excellent little piece â€" in an odd style I find rather endearing. It looks like a stuffed toy, which brings a lot of amusing possibilities. Say, a brave knightly toy battling evil cursed teddies determined to bring darkness to the nursery. It is simply adorable.

It strikes me as ideal to one of those games where you fly along a level and dodge projectiles. While lancing the enemies, of course. Well done!

Creamy

A pleasing piece, with a complementing selection of colours. It is a solid, matte style, and it would no doubt look excellent in motion.
He looks like a harrowed fellow â€" a sort of anti-knight. Someone less interested in composing love poetry in the cloister, and more about garrotting the black knight in his sleep, if that is what it takes. A Knight Noir, as it were. Sir No-Name de Ardboyld, sent to crack the case with the missing princess and clean up the castle. Jolly good work!

Misj'

It is a very fascinating style, one that almost seem computer rendered. His personality comes through very well indeed, and I like how well his gear complement his silhouette.

While he is a few limbs short of a body, his steely resolve is evident. Indeed, I imagine it could be a game mechanic â€" sacrificing limbs and other delicates at the right puzzles to advance.

The stylised proportions and shape would be excellent for gameplay purposes, as his motions and actions would stand out well, and carry personality. Most excellent work!

guyNullVal

I am very, very fond of this one. It is a splendid little character sprite, and I can already see so many possibilities. Why, his adventures are writing themselves before me as I speak. He has not sword or steed, but he is plucky and adventury, and is not that the most important qualification?

It is the amusing posture, I think, and the silly moustache. It is like a good caricature. The character is clear, distinct and have an excellent personality to it. Moreover, it is very 'practical', as it were. It would be quite simple to complete his different sprite cycles and send him forth. It is very well designed.

I imagine that the Sierra death screens all say 'Ay-ay-ay..!' in the background.

50 copper pieces and a royal commission has been dispatched by letter pigeon. Let us hope he reads the message before he eats it. Well done!

Now truly, all entries were splendid, and took some time to sort through. However, I have managed to list them (it was most difficult), and here are the prizes! It is time for you to be knighted. Please kneel.

Arise, Sir guyNullVal! Bearer of the Aurum Aegis!

All hail Sir Juan Gonzo!
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/SNv0QkV.png[/imgzoom]

Arise, Sir Misj'! Bearer of the Silver Shield!

All hail Sir Amputeux!

Arise, Lady Sinitrena! Bearer of the Bronzen Bulwark!

All hail Sir Richtofen, and Puff the Magic Dragon!
[imgzoom]https://s2.imagebanana.com/file/201004/BVtNM6KD.png[/imgzoom]

Arise, Sir Creamy! Bearer of the Ferrum Fortitude!

All hail Sir Ardboyld!

Long live the Knights of the Blue Cup! Go forth, and may God guide your steps on your great quest, brave knights! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

So! I hereby declare guyNullVal the winner! Your quest, should you accept it, is now to continue the Sprite Jam contest, and make another one of these competitions. Base it upon any word you like.

What say you?

As for the other entrants, I say excellent work! It was a hard choice, and I could not be more pleased with my knights. Excellent work, and thank you for coming!

Sinitrena

QuoteSinitrena

An excellent little piece â€" in an odd style I find rather endearing. It looks like a stuffed toy, which brings a lot of amusing possibilities.

Not what I was thinking of, but I can see it.

Congratulations guyNullVal, and welcome to the forums as well!

guyNullVal

My liege I thank thee for thine honour bestowed upon me and my fellow knights and I shall gladly take up the mantle of Bearer of the Aurum Aegis with honor :-D

Sire I will gladly take up the quest of hosting the next Sprite Jam Contest.

Also in my normal way of writing, Hurray :-D I'm so happy that I won

Reiter

Quote from: guyNullVal on Mon 02/11/2020 22:48:55
My liege I thank thee for thine honour bestowed upon me and my fellow knights and I shall gladly take up the mantle of Bearer of the Aurum Aegis with honor :-D

Sire I will gladly take up the quest of hosting the next Sprite Jam Contest.

Also in my normal way of writing, Hurray :-D I'm so happy that I won

Very happy to hear it! Indeed, I really fell for your brave little man. I wish you the best of luck for your leg of the competition!

If you have any questions, you have but to ask!

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 02/11/2020 00:32:55
QuoteSinitrena

An excellent little piece â€" in an odd style I find rather endearing. It looks like a stuffed toy, which brings a lot of amusing possibilities.

Not what I was thinking of, but I can see it.

Congratulations guyNullVal, and welcome to the forums as well!

I do hope I did not entirely mis-interpret the piece - it simply looked cuddly and lovely as well as ferocious. A splendid dragon! I am very fond of the style.

Misj'

Sinitrena

Have we lost our vailant knight guyNullVal so shortly after meeting them?

Please, I just revived this competition. Don't let it die again already!  :~(

guyNullVal

Oh no, don't worry, I've just been distracted with a bunch of stuff. I do apologize for my lack of posting  :~(.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk