MAGS October "Darkness" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/10/2020 08:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite MAGS game of October?

Taste the Blood of Darkness by Slasher
2 (15.4%)
The Last Light Post by JackPutter
3 (23.1%)
Lygophilous by VampireWombat
1 (7.7%)
Lord of Light by PlayPretend
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Sun 15/11/2020 02:31:46

Stupot

The winner of MAGS October was Lord of Light by PlayPretend.

Taste the Blood of Darkness
by Slasher
The Last Light Post
by JackPutter
Lygophilous
by VampireWombat
Lord of Light
by PlayPretend

Please remember to rate and comment on the games' page if possible.

The fall is here and the long dark nights are slowly starting to creep in (well, at least in my geographical location). For some, it means a time of depression and sadness, for others it can be a cozy and comforting blanket.

For this months MAGS, I'd like you to make a game that is inspired by darkness. For example, it can take place during the night or in locations where the sun don't shine or maybe dark times have fallen upon the world or perhaps you want to peer into the darkness of the human soul, explore the vastness of outer space, confront demons or embrace the evil. Although this theme is probably more suitable for halloweenish horror projects, it doesn't really have to be all spooky and grim and I'd be very happy to see some positive or funny depictions of darkness.

And for inspiration, here's some images from past MAGS games that in my opinion would fit the theme:

Good luck with your games and don't be shy to share and discuss your ideas and progress.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slasher

Awwww I spot one of my games: Frightfest  (laugh)

Who does not love the darkness? (laugh)

OK... Count me in ;)

VampireWombat

Hmm. I think I have an idea that will work. I'll at least make an attempt.

Olleh19

Maybe i should enter this contest so i can finish a game that looks like intended..Hmm.Sounds interesting, i may actually!

WHAM

Toying around with a possible concept. Been a long time I've done a MAGS, so it would be nice to make something for a change.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Olleh19

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 01/10/2020 22:22:13

Toying around with a possible concept. Been a long time I've done a MAGS, so it would be nice to make something for a change.

I love those, then in dark places have their eyes lit up with bright reds or pink/purple, that would be awesome!

Mandle

What a perfect theme for Halloween month! I'm probably in!

Olleh19

May i add that if you use mediafire you can upload the game, and go in and fix bugs that you happen to come across at a later stage, and just overwrite the zipfile when it's improved, that way you somewhat met the deadline. That was my "mistake" this past month. I did have a game ready by the 30th, it's just had some really strange bugs, cutscene in the ending freeze from time to time, or it's timing where annoying and that takes so long to "get right", i dont consider that "making the game", that's just small fixes sorta like a bug in my mind. So what i'm trying to say is. I could have easily uploaded the game and then go "overwrite" on mediafire when i find out bugs, or someone says "you better check donnie out, he is acting funny".

So you don't have to think about going into the games category and edit the original post and past a new link everytime (i did that at first!) Everytime you make a build change, but i was very strict with what i did. I didn't "add" anything new apart from making it work better with less bugs. No new graphics, walkcycles, objects, or improved bakgrounds, nothing of that kind, they look like what i managed to produce until the 30th.

I think MAGS is a really great way to get us newbies going! I had a lot of fun (not much sleep last days tho, god i was so stressed, ha ha!). Even tho i started with my game a little more then a week left of the month (Didn't find out about it before it was "kinda late"). So this month i will be more prepared for what is to come! (nod) :)

selmiak

cool, a screenshot from eternal chrysalis... and the theme is also cool :)

Stupot

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 02/10/2020 22:38:13
cool, a screenshot from eternal chrysalis... and the theme is also cool :)
Are you in, Sel? Get a team together.

milkanannan

KyriakosCH

I might take part, not sure if I will find the time due to work deadlines this month.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

If I don't get anything done for this I will just make a game in 3 hours at the last moment where you have to play the chords for "Hello darkness my old friend" (or whatever the title of the song is) Guitar Hero style.

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 03/10/2020 22:58:48
“Hello darkness my old friend”
Oddly this song has been looping in my head this morning. Or should I say just the first two lines. And then I saw this post.

heltenjon

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 03/10/2020 22:58:48
If I don't get anything done for this I will just make a game in 3 hours at the last moment where you have to play the chords for "Hello darkness my old friend" (or whatever the title of the song is) Guitar Hero style.

(laugh) Now I want you to take those three hours at the beginning of the month instead. I think we need AGS Guitar Hero.  (laugh)

Slasher

Sounds good (laugh)

Meanwhile, I have most of my game mapped out.. Most of the mechanics are done...  Story outline done...

Still a long way to go  ;)

Olleh19

Ok guys, i've changed my mind. My aunt, my whole family wants to try my game, and then the pressure is immense on me. The animations everything must look good. So i am working on my original MAGS entry and will update it regularly on the page. So please follow the journey if you want, and once that's done Episode 2 or whatever you wanna call it will be worked on.

Good luck to all you other guys that try, i hope you understand. I really want to make the game as "Thumbleweed" as possible, and that does take a long time, both the programming and the animations, i dont feel like doing another "attempt" when i know i will most likely fail. It's hard work, but i love doing it. I will just take the time it takes instead. It was a good experience with MAGS for sure, maybe i will join in later at another time, when i've got my workflow up more, more used to the engine, and so on.

Edit: Actually NO, let's keep the mags entry on my page as it is, and i will release it when it's done as a new game entry instead.

cat

What a great topic! Since more than half a year (in other words, since I finally used up all that cotton wool I bought for making the previous game) I am thinking about making a new game, titled "Cornelius Cat in: All Cats are Grey at Night". I have nothing but a few vague story and puzzle ideas so far, but the topic would be perfect.

Alas, my current family situation and private commitments make it impossible to make a game at the moment. However, I will take the topic as inspiration to finish the script and puzzles and maybe figure out how to solve a few technical issues.

Slasher

Cat: Awww.. we would have loved a game from you...  Long live Cornelius  (laugh)

Taste the blood of darkness ✟ ⚰️

Meanwhile, here is a game screenshot that tells it all really (well, not all)  ;)

WHAM

The little imp thinks it's still too light outside. We'll see if we can help the poor little bugger out!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk