MAGS October "Darkness" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/10/2020 08:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite MAGS game of October?

Taste the Blood of Darkness by Slasher
2 (15.4%)
The Last Light Post by JackPutter
3 (23.1%)
Lygophilous by VampireWombat
1 (7.7%)
Lord of Light by PlayPretend
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Sun 15/11/2020 02:31:46

WHAM

I think I can safely say I'm not finishing my game idea anywhere close to a deadline.

The concept I had in mind was a slow-paced game where the player enters the game, gives their little demon minions orders and then exits the game. The game calculates time passed between sessions and generates progress when the player comes back, so that the game can be played by "logging in" every other day to check up on progress, discover new things and to hand out new orders.

Basically, Cookie Clicker but without clicking and cookies.

I've got the core mechanic working, but basically none of the graphics or most of the actual content.

I blame Spelunky 2.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

arj0n

VampireWombat

By copying and clicking I did at least get a title for the video, so I know it's not game footage or anything. Maybe it's restricted to not allow US viewers.

arj0n

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 19/10/2020 13:14:07
By copying and clicking I did at least get a title for the video, so I know it's not game footage or anything. Maybe it's restricted to not allow US viewers.
That might be the case.

milkanannan

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 19/10/2020 12:54:17
I still haven't done much on my game yet. Other projects have taken priority. So, it all comes down to next week...

Quote from: milkanannan on Sat 17/10/2020 13:53:35
Your video still shows unavailable for me.

Oh it’s just Kylie Minogue ‘I believe in you’  (laugh) trying to express some encouragement to those finishing titles

The Great Underground Empire

Ha ha! It was the switch!

I didn't lose any work, just wasted my coding time tonight taking the side off my desktop and pulling out the power button wire until I can find a better workaround.  :-D  And backing everything up!

On with the game!

FormosaFalanster

I still believe I can finish it on time. If I don't it's okay I will still show it at some point.
I have fun doing it and learn a lot.

cipberbloom

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 17/10/2020 05:25:02
Quote from: Skeevy Wonder on Sat 17/10/2020 03:24:02
Welp, I've been in since the 4th... didn't want to say anything until I felt I'd made significant progress (and I say I'm not superstitious  ;)).

I love the theme and it's perfect for a character and concept I've had bouncing around in my skull for years.

Thank you for the advice, @stupot, 'make a tiny game and cut it in half!'. Scope creep is my nemesis.

All the best of 'luck', everyone!  ;-D
Wise words.... I am looking forward to a game from you  (nod)

Heya Slasher! Thank you a million times over!  ;-D ;-D ;-D

This is such a lovely, broad theme. I encourage anyone who's dipped their toes in to keep going, whether they want to participate in MAGS or not.

It's super nice that the AGS community remains so active. I've been lurking and 'failing' here since 2014 at least.

Very excited to actually put something out there! All the best, everyone!  ;-D

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

VampireWombat

And here's a screenshot of what I have accomplished.

But I do plan to work on it a fair amount Monday through Thursday. I might even work on it some today.

Bashing away in a weekend long coding frenzy! Can't believe I thought "barely any graphics" would make this simple...it just made all the descriptive responses and inventory interactions all the more important, lol.

But I'm gonna make it no matter what, even if it's the last day! Good luck everybody, I believe in you!

milkanannan

Do we need some motivation? (laugh)

Looking forward to playing these titles...by the 31st! Good luck, guys~

VampireWombat

It's more that I need to focus on this game than on other projects...
But planning out 3 days to work on it should work. Hopefully. In fact, I'm going to make myself work on it a bit in a few minutes.

JackPutter

I'm still in, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cut some corners on my project in order to squeeze it out by the deadline. I made some mistakes that will take a VERY long time to fix (rendering 3D graphics is a tough job for my trusty little laptop) so there will be some missing animations and other elements. I've got the major pieces at least though, so I'll have something to show by 31st, even if it is just a work-in-progress!

Features intense computer hacking!

...and a working map screen!

I've got a couple complicated coding puzzles I may cut too... they'd be cool but not sure I know how to execute them correctly. But I got a ton done today and it's nearly playable, I think.  Then I'll go back and add the music, sound effects, voice acting, polishing, etc.

VampireWombat

Sound effects and voice acting? Nice. I feel ashamed that I ended up playing Borderlands 2 a bit before a session of Among Us yesterday instead of working on my game...
Okay, opening up Gimp now to work on the main character's sprites.

Wow, so much shoulder/neck pain from hunching over a computer all weekend.  :-D

Got a ton done, all my GUIs and graphics in place, all major puzzles intact. I am gonna have to cut the other couple puzzles I mentioned, way too complex for the time remaining, but it'll still work.

Do we have up til the end of the night on 10/31?  I'll definitely finish but it'll be a last minute release.

Mandle

Quote from: PlayPretend on Mon 26/10/2020 10:33:06
Do we have up til the end of the night on 10/31?

The deadline is until November 1st crosses over, AGS server time, usually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk