MAGS October "Darkness" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/10/2020 08:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite MAGS game of October?

Taste the Blood of Darkness by Slasher
2 (15.4%)
The Last Light Post by JackPutter
3 (23.1%)
Lygophilous by VampireWombat
1 (7.7%)
Lord of Light by PlayPretend
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Sun 15/11/2020 02:31:46

VampireWombat

Upload is complete. And yes, it was one of the bugs I mentioned due to the ! where it shouldn't have been.

Shadow1000

Quote from: JackPutter on Sun 01/11/2020 13:05:31
Congratulations everyone! I look forward to playing all of your games! And to everyone who didn't manage to finish by the deadline, please keep working on your entries! You all have great ideas that should definitely be seen through to the end, no matter how long it takes!

Shadow1000 - With regards to my game...

Spoiler
... the hint for William's password can be found in the notes on the workbench in the lab. William mentions he has had a particularly unpleasant day... (My key playtester, AKA my significant other, also got stuck on the same part so perhaps the clue is too oblique!)
[close]

Ok, I finished the game! Thanks for the hint, and thanks for not giving it away completely. Some thoughts on how I got stuck (seeing that the game is being developed still):

Spoiler
First, I did NOT know that the notes on this table or the earlier had more than one page
Second, there are so many dates throughout the game, there's nothing about that date that would have made me think it's the password, even had I seen it in the hour or so that I spent looking for the password last night
Third, I had a bit of trouble entering it because the format is different than what's on the page
[close]

Cheers

JackPutter

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 01/11/2020 14:41:06

Ok, I finished the game! Thanks for the hint, and thanks for not giving it away completely. Some thoughts on how I got stuck (seeing that the game is being developed still):

Thank you very much for your feedback! This is the value of having people play test things! What you said was very constructive, I'll definitely be taking your experiences on board to refine that puzzle and clarify how the relevant GUI works so it's a little more clear. I'm very glad you were able to make it to the end of the game, and apologies for any annoyances caused!

Olleh19

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 01/11/2020 13:45:01
Upload is complete. And yes, it was one of the bugs I mentioned due to the ! where it shouldn't have been.

I'm stuck.

Spoiler
I'm in a dungeon or cave or something. And i cant seem to click on anything. I'm guessing this is the slaughters mansion/house, since there appears to be pigs hanging up and down. Can't seem to click on anything. Completely stuck now! Hint?   :)
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Olleh19 on Sun 01/11/2020 18:11:30
Spoiler
I'm in a dungeon or cave or something. And i cant seem to click on anything. I'm guessing this is the slaughters mansion/house, since there appears to be pigs hanging up and down. Can't seem to click on anything. Completely stuck now! Hint?   :)
[close]
Spoiler
There's an area of the room that if you step on, it triggers the end.
[close]

Olleh19

HAHA! What an unexpected ending  (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) I swear i had clicked there, but apparently not.

Your game reminded me of my attempt last month. It was short but still feelt pretty good to finally be able to beat it :)

Shadow1000

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 01/11/2020 18:19:22
Quote from: Olleh19 on Sun 01/11/2020 18:11:30
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
There's an area of the room that if you step on, it triggers the end.
[close]

Is that the only ending? if so
Spoiler
there doesn't seem to be much to do at the graveyard? or need for the badge and gun or flashlight
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 01/11/2020 21:51:36
Is that the only ending? if so
Spoiler
there doesn't seem to be much to do at the graveyard? or need for the badge and gun or flashlight
[close]
Spoiler
There was going to be more, but I ran out of time. The flashlight was supposed to be more useful, but the gui didn't work right and I didn't have time to fix it.
[close]

Cassiebsg

The Last Light Post

I seem to be a bit stuck, can't seem to finish it.  :-\

Spoiler

I've got the container and placed it in the right slot, I hope, but when I try to enter the sequence, nothing really happens. Unless I have the wrong sequence, since I haven't figured out the clue about 2 reactions, divide by 2 and use only the even numbers.  (roll)

On the other note, I had no problem finding all passwords. And as soon as I read that it was a lousy bday, I figured that was the password... The one that was took me a bit longer was Simons password, because I was looking for a clue around his computer. But once I stopped to think about it, it was obvious.  (laugh)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 01/11/2020 22:04:43
The Last Light Post

I seem to be a bit stuck, can't seem to finish it.  :-\

Spoiler

I've got the container and placed it in the right slot, I hope, but when I try to enter the sequence, nothing really happens. Unless I have the wrong sequence, since I haven't figured out the clue about 2 reactions, divide by 2 and use only the even numbers.  (roll)

On the other note, I had no problem finding all passwords. And as soon as I read that it was a lousy bday, I figured that was the password... The one that was took me a bit longer was Simons password, because I was looking for a clue around his computer. But once I stopped to think about it, it was obvious.  (laugh)
[close]

The answer is
Spoiler
on William's computer. There's more to the instructions about the sequence there
[close]

Cassiebsg

Spoiler

I've read all the 3 posts, and I'm still clueless.

Can the game be saved, btw? EDIT: Found it... F5. Wish there was a button for it, instead of just a keyboard key.  (roll)
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 01/11/2020 22:19:10
Spoiler

I've read all the 3 posts, and I'm still clueless.

Can the game be saved, btw? EDIT: Found it... F5. Wish there was a button for it, instead of just a keyboard key.  (roll)
[close]

ok here's the answer:

Spoiler
apenas números pares.
[close]

The Great Underground Empire

Played all the games, good stuff!  Here are my individual takes on everyone else's games, spoiler warnings!

Taste the Blood of Darkness:
Spoiler
Definitely the best and most complete for gameplay of the three.  The combat system was fun, I was about to get frustrated by the bats killing me in the crypt until I found out about the hospital and instant return to my last combat room, lol.  I liked the axe coming back to me like Thor. :)  The blood monster was neat, too.
[close]

Last Light Post:
Spoiler
Holy carp, nice motion graphics on this one!  I'm guessing you did still frames for stop points like the desks and doors, then swapped seamlessly to videos for the 3D movement?  Nice technique!  I had no problem with the passwords because I'm a sneaky bastard and saw what you were going for. :)  At the end with the component, I circled the pillar twice punching in the full code, then the evens, and got it right on the 8th try, lol.  Quick gameplay with impressive visuals, and I liked the character touches of the worker's notes.
[close]

Lygophilous:
Spoiler
I was honestly lost in this one, sorry...I had no idea why I was there, and had to pick up from context that I was investigating some kind of murder.  When I needed the flashlight, I had no clue it was in the trunk...started to drive away to look for it, then just tried the trunk for the heck of it.  When I found the evil lair, I looked away for a half second, looked back, and I'd been eaten, game over, no warning.  The graphics and atmosphere were good and spooky, and the monster would definitely be a good frightening end boss.
[close]

Olleh19

Quote from: PlayPretend on Mon 02/11/2020 00:42:05
Played all the games, good stuff!  Here are my individual takes on everyone else's games, spoiler warnings!

Taste the Blood of Darkness:
Spoiler
Definitely the best and most complete for gameplay of the three.  The combat system was fun, I was about to get frustrated by the bats killing me in the crypt until I found out about the hospital and instant return to my last combat room, lol.  I liked the axe coming back to me like Thor. :)  The blood monster was neat, too.
[close]

Last Light Post:
Spoiler
Holy carp, nice motion graphics on this one!  I'm guessing you did still frames for stop points like the desks and doors, then swapped seamlessly to videos for the 3D movement?  Nice technique!  I had no problem with the passwords because I'm a sneaky bastard and saw what you were going for. :)  At the end with the component, I circled the pillar twice punching in the full code, then the evens, and got it right on the 8th try, lol.  Quick gameplay with impressive visuals, and I liked the character touches of the worker's notes.
[close]

Lygophilous:
Spoiler
I was honestly lost in this one, sorry...I had no idea why I was there, and had to pick up from context that I was investigating some kind of murder.  When I needed the flashlight, I had no clue it was in the trunk...started to drive away to look for it, then just tried the trunk for the heck of it.  When I found the evil lair, I looked away for a half second, looked back, and I'd been eaten, game over, no warning.  The graphics and atmosphere were good and spooky, and the monster would definitely be a good frightening end boss.
[close]

I'm playing the blind wizard game, and i'm not getting the got damn onion!!! Why the hell doesnt it want the onion as it is  :~(
It says 15minutes play time, i've passed that time long ago. Got stuck on this i don't even wanna know for how long! (laugh)
I think i have that left, and the worm box, but i'm not sure.

The Great Underground Empire

Quote from: Olleh19 on Mon 02/11/2020 01:06:41
I'm playing the blind wizard game, and i'm not getting the got damn onion!!! Why the hell doesnt it want the onion as it is  :~(
It says 15minutes play time, i've passed that time long ago. Got stuck on this i don't even wanna know for how long! (laugh)

Hint:
Spoiler
Do you know which bottle has the red basilisk?  You need Red Basilisk Tears, so you have to find a way to identify which one is red.
[close]

Solution:
Spoiler
The Minitaur is object-blind and can only see the color red.  Use him on all three bottles.  Use the onion on the red basilisk.
[close]

Hope you enjoy the rest! :)

Olleh19

Quote from: PlayPretend on Mon 02/11/2020 01:20:04
Quote from: Olleh19 on Mon 02/11/2020 01:06:41

Hint:
Spoiler
Do you know which bottle has the red basilisk?  You need Red Basilisk Tears, so you have to find a way to identify which one is red.
[close]

Solution:
Spoiler
The Minitaur is object-blind and can only see the color red.  Use him on all three bottles.  Use the onion on the red basilisk.
[close]

Hope you enjoy the rest! :)

Thanks, i enjoyed it. It got me stuck ofc, but it wasn't that frustrating. Also i bruteforced a bit, but once i found the solution i hit my head almost "how dumb am i, why didn't i think of that?!".
Which is a good thing. It's worse when you really dont know why something works and it does (like it was in my mags game last month, most people got frustrated cause they did not get why it "worked").

Cassiebsg

Quoteok here's the answer:

Spoiler
apenas números pares.
[close]

I've tried that already before I posted, with no result.
I'm missing something in the logic you all seem to have found, unless I made a mistake somewhere.
Spoiler

Do I need to take the sequence, divide it by 2 and only use the even numbers? (I have not tried this yet) or is there something else?
[close]

JackPutter

PlayPretend - Thank you very much for playing through my game! I'm glad you liked the graphics, and you are correct about the method I used to move the viewpoint from spot to spot. There's a couple of not-quite-seamless transitions from the stills to the videos though, which is something I am still working on for the full release. I'm glad you liked the character stuff too! I've always liked games where you root through documents to piece things together, so I decided to make one that revolved around that.

Spoiler
I'm glad that the passwords weren't too tricky for you. I'm sorry you had to essentially brute force your way through the last puzzle, though I sometimes do the same thing when the number of available options has a definite limit! (Just so you know, I did leave a clue about where to put the component. William's notes mention putting it in the east port and you can pick up a map which tells you which way is north.)
[close]

Cassiebsg - Sorry about not having a save function in a more obvious place, to be honest I've never put a save function in any of my games since I have no idea how to do that and figured my games would be short enough to be completed in a few minutes. (The glitchless 100% speedrun of The Last Light Post is under 30 seconds, but since I am the developer I won't be submitting my times...) I was frankly surprised to see that you found a save function in there, it must be built-in with the BASS template! With regards to the final puzzle...

Spoiler
... I'm afraid I may have made the nonsense technobabble too confusing! The talk about dividing things by two is just how William worked out what might be wrong. The trick is to take the ORIGINAL sequence and only use the even numbers. I hope that helps!
[close]

Olleh19

Haha, i gave up on Jack's entry. It wasn't that it was bad, it's just my brain is not working right now. (wrong)
Spoiler
How can i not understand the password, or that it looks like you could put the component(i think it was called) in different places? i figured that out just before i turned off the game, then i feelt omg it's even more complicated then originally thought!
I thought i was going to put it in to the socket and then maybe know a password to turn the component function on, or something like that!

Also i was stuck for 10minutes going around i tried the password for the first computer, but it turns out it was case sensitive and that had me stuck longer then neccessary.
[close]

Jack, you went into the trap i did with my MAGS entry last month.It really was quite difficult! (laugh)

But i still enjoyed it, if i've had a friend over and we've played it together, i'd probably would have had a nice co-op experience, but once you get stuck with "one brain". It's hard... ;-D

JackPutter

Olleh19 - I'm sorry you had so much trouble with my entry! So far I have consistently gotten comments about every single one of my previous games that the puzzles were too straighforward, so I made a deliberate effort this time to make a multi-step puzzle that required a bit of exploring and deducing to figure out. I tried to make sure that there was at least one clear clue for every step, but since pretty much everyone who has replied here has gotten stuck at one point or another I guess I just made it too confusing. I'll be sure to refine and clarify things as much as I can before I release the game fully. I'm very happy to hear you say that you enjoyed it, even if you got stumped in the end!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk