MAGS October "Darkness" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/10/2020 08:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite MAGS game of October?

Taste the Blood of Darkness by Slasher
2 (15.4%)
The Last Light Post by JackPutter
3 (23.1%)
Lygophilous by VampireWombat
1 (7.7%)
Lord of Light by PlayPretend
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Sun 15/11/2020 02:31:46

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 02/11/2020 06:38:57
Quoteok here's the answer:

Spoiler
apenas números pares.
[close]

I've tried that already before I posted, with no result.
I'm missing something in the logic you all seem to have found, unless I made a mistake somewhere.
Spoiler

Do I need to take the sequence, divide it by 2 and only use the even numbers? (I have not tried this yet) or is there something else?
[close]

Complete solution:
Spoiler

The numbers are 7216354. So just ignore the odds and you get 264.
[close]

Entende?

Cassiebsg

Yes, I get that, and I've tried that as well.  :-X
Spoiler

I'm likely entering the code wrong... so exactly which buttons do I need to press?

I've tried to press first the 2nd, then the 6th and lastly the 4th, but nothing happened! And the item is on the east slot, as far as I can see.

[close]

EDIT: I just run the game again, and now it worked.  ;-D I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, cause that was exactly what I had tried before... thank god the save worked, would have hated to have to restart!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 02/11/2020 16:21:11
Yes, I get that, and I've tried that as well.  :-X
Spoiler

I'm likely entering the code wrong... so exactly which buttons do I need to press?

I've tried to press first the 2nd, then the 6th and lastly the 4th, but nothing happened! And the item is on the east slot, as far as I can see.

[close]

You got it right for the entry

Spoiler
I would get out the map and double check it's in the east side
[close]

Cassiebsg

Read edit above. Thanks for the help.  :)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 02/11/2020 16:27:54
Read edit above. Thanks for the help.  :)

I'm glad it worked out! Now you can play some more entries :D

Olleh19

Olleh19 - I'm sorry you had so much trouble with my entry! So far I have consistently gotten comments about every single one of my previous games that the puzzles were too straighforward, so I made a deliberate effort this time to make a multi-step puzzle that required a bit of exploring and deducing to figure out. I tried to make sure that there was at least one clear clue for every step, but since pretty much everyone who has replied here has gotten stuck at one point or another I guess I just made it too confusing. I'll be sure to refine and clarify things as much as I can before I release the game fully. I'm very happy to hear you say that you enjoyed it, even if you got stumped in the end!

Yeah, i hear you. That's how i thought about my puzzle too that "this is too easy, i need to make it more complicated" and what happened? Almost everyone got stuck! Haha.

Shadow1000

Quote from: JackPutter on Mon 02/11/2020 13:59:19
I made a deliberate effort this time to make a multi-step puzzle that required a bit of exploring and deducing to figure out. I tried to make sure that there was at least one clear clue for every step, but since pretty much everyone who has replied here has gotten stuck at one point or another I guess I just made it too confusing. I'll be sure to refine and clarify things as much as I can before I release the game fully. I'm very happy to hear you say that you enjoyed it, even if you got stumped in the end!

My opinion is that the difficulty level was right on. I did get stuck on something and I explained what I missed. But overall the level was right for me.

The Great Underground Empire

Same here...I read the clues and remembered what I was supposed to do, it was more my own personal laziness at the end to not go back and check something instead of just brute forcing my way through every possibility.

Olleh19

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 02/11/2020 18:12:06
I made a deliberate effort this time to make a multi-step puzzle that required a bit of exploring and deducing to figure out. I tried to make sure that there was at least one clear clue for every step, but since pretty much everyone who has replied here has gotten stuck at one point or another I guess I just made it too confusing. I'll be sure to refine and clarify things as much as I can before I release the game fully. I'm very happy to hear you say that you enjoyed it, even if you got stumped in the end!

My opinion is that the difficulty level was right on. I did get stuck on something and I explained what I missed. But overall the level was right for me.

Good Point, i think it's dangerous to believe there is something wrong with your game just because of a couple of guys or girls on a forum, get's stuck. I was being dumb on a lot of things. Forexample the case sensitive. Maybe other players tries that instantly. I didn't, so i got stuck for 10minutes, or more, i don't know! Does that mean all players are as dumb? ofc not. Same with my little game, not saying the players of my game are dumb, but they do not represent the entire world either. Some puzzle are easy for others, while incredible hard for other individuals. Alltho i'll be humble enough to admit my puzzle was pure evil.  (laugh) (nod)

cipberbloom

I loved playing as an evil wizard (the psychedelic sequence was priceless) and collecting ghoul heads (would like to replay that one to see if the game changes if you are 'turned').

JackPutter: what are you using to do the 3D sequences?

Anyway, awesome stuff.  ;-D Looking forward to November, named for my favourite weather.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! :)  The sequence was the most fun part to program.

Slasher

I think people have produced some great graphics this month.... My hat is off chaps..  (nod)

cipberbloom

Slasher: We're playing again to see if Edward is able to
Spoiler
turn completely leading to a different path
[close]
. Loved the action element, it seemed to be just right.  ;-D

JackPutter

Skeevy Wonder - I used Blender to do all the 3D work on my game. I only started learning how to use the software about two months ago, and I've found it pretty straightforward to pick up! I'd definitely recommend it, though I'm still only capable of doing basic modelling and lighting at this stage.

heltenjon

It's another great MAGS month!

Here are my comments:

Taste the Blood of Darkness by Slasher:
Spoiler
I think this game is even better than the one last month. Huge, and lots to do. I really liked how the locations became available as clickable banners during the investigation. I also liked that the protagonist and his conversation partners have some personalities that shine through. While the puzzles aren't too difficult, i had lots of trips back to the doctor because of the action sequences. It was fun that the option to attack with the wrong weapons was included.

I found two bugs. I spent so much time in the garden that the red mist turned and started to scroll the other way. Then for a moment, the leftmost part of the garden was lit up, as the "curtain" moved to the right and then back left again. I doubt this was intentional, but maybe it's not a bug, but rather a necessary effect of having the curtain of fog moving on top of the landscape. The other bug occurred when I killed Vascula but then was taken out by another bat right afterwards. When sent back to the crypts, the last bat had disappeared, and the endgame couldn't be triggered because I hadn't killed all the vampires.
[close]

The Last Light Post by JackPutter:
Spoiler
Awesome graphics. Jack is really getting the hang of the 3d environment. Even though the player is alone, the other characters take on personalities through the notes and diaries they have left behind. I think Jack really shines here as a writer. The difficulty level was just right for this player. I wasn't stuck, but had to think a bit to come up with the answers to the clever puzzles, which all was integrated into the plot in an admirable manner. I also quite liked the originality of the story and setting.
[close]

Lygophilous by VampireWombat:
Spoiler
Unfinished game, so it's not fair to compare it to the others. But I'm impressed that this was made in a couple of days. The graphics are very good and moody, and the same idea as in Slasher's game can be found here as well - the locations appears as clickable squares after breakthroughs in the case. Unfortunately, there are few things to do, leaving whole locations basically unnecessary or too large for this bare-bones version. If the game is updated with more material later, I'd also wish for an alternate ending, as the ending now felt a bit unsatisfactory (but great to look at!).
[close]

Lord of Light by PlayPretend:
Spoiler
This game is completely original in premise, wonderfully written with great characters and puzzles - all in one location. I kept trying everything just to read the funny feedback. Brilliant design and execution.
[close]

I voted for:
Spoiler
Lord of Light. I'm torn, as the games are very good this month, and very different as well. You should all pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
[close]

Heltenjon:
Spoiler
Aw, thank you so much, your compliments mean a lot!  Everyone did a great job this month.
[close]

Olleh19

Quote from: PlayPretend on Tue 03/11/2020 14:13:38
Heltenjon:
Spoiler
Aw, thank you so much, your compliments mean a lot!  Everyone did a great job this month.
[close]

Spoiler
I share his thoughts. Great game! It's a winner for me. I'm voting for it too.
[close]

Olleh19:
Spoiler
Thank you very much too!  You all are making my day!  :)
[close]

heltenjon

So far I have consistently gotten comments about every single one of my previous games that the puzzles were too straighforward, so I made a deliberate effort this time to make a multi-step puzzle that required a bit of exploring and deducing to figure out. I tried to make sure that there was at least one clear clue for every step, but since pretty much everyone who has replied here has gotten stuck at one point or another I guess I just made it too confusing. I'll be sure to refine and clarify things as much as I can before I release the game fully.

I'd like to compliment you on the way the puzzles were designed, actually. The one thing that may have been confusing (or not) to my fellow players, I imagine could be if they
Spoiler
read the diaries out of order. I started with the one in the first room, then read the one in the room to the left, went back and to the room to the right before going to the room diagonally across from the first one. I already had an image of the crew's personalities after reading the security officer's notes. This was of great help when guessing their passwords. To solve the final puzzle, the player needs to have gathered information or objects from four sources, if I recall correctly. I think this would be harder to solve if the player doesn't play it all in one go. Or takes notes.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Here's my take on this months games, in play order.  ;)

Lord of Light by PlayPretend:
Spoiler

I was looking forward to play this one and see how the idea of playing the blind was done. Loved it! Though, if I had done mine, it would have been black with white objects outlines.  (laugh)
It was fun to not only touch, but taste, smell...  (laugh) Although it took me a long while to figure out why the vases didn't show when I touched them... maybe given an empty outline of the vase would have been less confusing... but then maybe it would still be as mysterious to figure out what was inside.  8-0

I enjoyed the story, graphics and puzzles. But the "bro" talk, kind of ruined immersion for me.  :-\
[close]

Lygophilous by VampireWombat:
Spoiler

Unfortunately there wasn't much to do in this game, it started promising and then it ended.  :~(
One thing that drove me nuts was the graveyard, please add a car to exit the premises, instead of an edge that you can't see.
[close]

The Last Light Post by JackPutter:
Spoiler

Usually I prefer 3rd person games, but this one sucked me right in! The 3D graphics, even though basic and simple, fit well with the story/mood of the game, and they didn't bother me one bit. Loved the "walking/sliding" animations which gave me a "Myst" feeling.  ;) Discovering the clues through exploration & investigation was great. It's not new or innovative, but was quite effective. But I don't think I got the answer to "where did everybody go".... except Tara that is. It's like they just vanished.  ???

The Intro text run a bit too fast to read, I had to speed read and that's not nice. Also it would have been a good idea to wrap it in a cutscene function. Starting the game again forces you watch the intro again.

What drove me nuts: Not being able to turn around on some occasions, like at Tara's computer. No indication of the exit hotspots (turn around, go left, go right...) A little rotation arrow in the lower corners to turn around, or a strait arrow to show when one can go left/right, like at the machine, would have made the game much less frustrating to navigate (at least for me).

In all, you got me both engaged and immersed all the way.  (nod)

Note: Save/load function is indeed hard coded on the BASS template, check the code under on_key_press F5 and F7.  ;) But basically all you need to make one save slot is: SaveGameSlot(99) on a button and then LoadGameSlot(99) on another button... where 99 is a slot you assign (don't use 999 as this one is reserved for restart point).
[close]

Taste the Blood of Darkness by Slasher:
Spoiler

Great story and setting. Graphics are okay, though you could have made him smaller so the library looked bigger (and made him actually not able to reach the book and thus the need of the ladder). Puzzles were good.
"Battle" scene weren't my favorite and I would have been happier without them.
Finding the garlic was pixel hunt, I knew it had to be there, but I couldn't find it, only at my 4th visit I managed to find it. One would think he knows where his own vegetables grow...
[close]

My vote went to:
Spoiler
The Last Light Post by JackPutter! It was just great exploring the compound and solving the puzzles!  (nod) I think they were well balanced and very fair.
Lord of Light by PlayPretend takes a very close second place. If only my immersion hadn't been broken...  ;) But we're all different and enjoy different stuff... thank God for that or the world be very boring!  (laugh)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk