Future Vintage Gaming Intro

Started by selmiak, Fri 02/10/2020 21:44:56

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

So I want to make a new intro for the adventure game longplay channel Future Vintage Gaming. This is what I have already:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/FSCinW4.png[/imgzoom]

position of elements can change, this is easy with 3D. Please give me your opinion on all and everything and maybe some more "classic inventory items" you want to see placed on that table. No Chainsaw please, it is too huge ;)

Jack

That looks very good, especially if I imagine it with a pan in animation.

If I were to change one thing, it would be to make the wood more realistic. But as it is, it's not distracting.

Olleh19

Looks very good! Please don't play my game yet, i'm worried it still has game breaking bugs, need to get some feedback from some forum guys...........

Creamy

Nice :)

Quotemaybe some more "classic inventory item
A banana? An oil lamp? A magnifying glass? Some enigmatic symbols carved in the wood?

heltenjon

So, the items on the table are allusions to games, I gather. The map and doubloons must be Monkey Island, the Blue Cup the AGS community, the purple tentacle is DOTT, and perhaps the statue-thing is that object from Fate of Atlantis? But what games do the crystals and the hat signify? (Or the pencil?) They all look very nice.

I guess if you want more objects, one ought to consider which more games you would like to hint at. Creamy's suggestion, the oil lamp, would make me think about Zork, for instance. Something from Sierra? Gabriel Knight's journal?

arj0n

selmiak

Of course the statue thing is from fate of atlantis and the map is indeed the 4 parts that lead to big whoop. The pencil is just there as it is a desk, but when it reminds arj0n of Lauro Bow... even better :D
I though I get some inpiration or ideas from you for MORE ITEMS, not an analysis of what is there, but keep on doing that, I'll keep you posted as I add more stuff to fill the scene and maybe record another longplay in the meantime...
I'm glad it is received so positive.

@Jack: HOW would you make the wood more realistic???

Jack

It probably needs some age ring patterns. And it probably would be made of separate planks, instead of one big piece. The latter might be distracting, though.

That said, I've never been fully satisfied with the wood materials I made in blender so far.

Darth Mandarb

I like this a lot.

I second what Jack was saying about the wood texture though... I didn't think, on my first glance, that it was a desk/wood I thought it was on the ground/dirt with some weird linear shadows running across it (like the light source was behind some bars/poles).

I had a thought after staring at it for a minute. It's hard to explain in text (and feel free to disregard entirely) but I think it might look better if the logo wasn't on the desk like that... maybe just arrange all the items in a nice way and have the camera pull-back slightly and then have the logo sort of  fade in overlapping everything but not a part of the scene... just an overlay so its perspective is perpendicular to the camera so then you can fade the desk/items out to black leaving only the logo. I can imagine what I'm talking about far better than I can type it :D

Also... the item selection seems a tad dominated by Lucas Arts games. How about a little Sierra love?? :D Maybe add in the astro-chicken from Space Quest 3 (the greatest adventure game of all time)? Just a thought :D

heltenjon

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 03/10/2020 19:25:34
Also... the item selection seems a tad dominated by Lucas Arts games. How about a little Sierra love?? :D Maybe add in the astro-chicken from Space Quest 3 (the greatest adventure game of all time)? Just a thought :D

Yes, this was my point in the "analysis", too, that I thought it was mostly Lucas Arts dominated. Just had to confirm that the items were what I thought. You have to choose what you like the best, of course, and I'm a Lucas buff myself. I'd liked something from Simon the Sorceror, but you've already got a hat on the table.

Cassiebsg

And Indy hat still counts as "Lucas dominated".  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

(roll) I love Lucas Arts games so of course this is lucas domated, thus the thread :) just drop whatever items you think are relevant to any adventure game, also AGS games... that reminds me, I recenctly played the Mr Coatrack game (adv jam last year) and it had a zombie penis as inventory item, maybe that is against youtube policies, but maybe the false teeth from DOTT are a thing, but I have purple in that already... just drop some. I have to research the astro chicken as I shamefully never played the subjectively best adventure of all time :)

Darth: the idea with the logo being not part of the scene is cool, but actually I want to do some more blender magic and give it a cool animated appearance, maybe fire is involved...

Jack: I get what you mean now. I had a work desk that had that kind of wood, I figured for an adventure character that would have all this stuff gathered it could work. I'll post an update with different, woodier wood later :D

Hobo

You're defenitely missing a crowbar and some red herrings. Great work, by the way, looks really good already.

If you're looking for something from more popular and classic series then a few ideas:
- Schattenjäger talisman and dagger from Gabriel Knight or obviously the infamous cat hair mustache :D
- King Graham's hat perhaps, but there's already a hat, so probably not.
- The mammoth doll from Syberia or simply some gears or other automaton parts.
- Can't remember if The Longest Journey/Dreamfall series had any recurring items, but maybe Cortez's pocket watch from the first one or a Watilla toy from the latter ones.
- Not sure if Quest for Glory or Space Quest had something unique that was used in multiple games, but Olga Stovich's famous avocado and garlic sandwiches are always a good meal, only 50 kopeks each.
- If you want something from AGS games, then Joey's tie from Blackwell is pretty memorable and something from the Ben Jordan games would also be deserving.

Oh, and if you want to be somewhat brazen and gross, you can always throw some Larry's condoms on the table

Cassiebsg

Or maybe a over those Larry things...  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

I have something I'd call an intro and debuted it on the Limey Lizard longplay :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeMOAkBHGBg

Jack

It's quite nice, but very short.

I guess I'm not the first one to tell you that. ;)

selmiak

it is intentionally this short. you see the channel logo and this is what the intro is about I think. the old logo was 16 seconds and around 15 seconds is the sweetspot for youtube viewers to jump off and click one of the other recommended videos, so they at least see some game art and might get interested.
But I am so used to the music in the longer version that is really feels too short, but one can get used to a lot. Maybe I change the music completely or to another part of the track so it does not feel like it is ending this abruptly, but the beat is very fitting for the appearance of the logo.

Marcin K.

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 23/10/2020 16:46:00
it is intentionally this short.

I would hold it for 1 second more. I know there is short attention span nowadays but this is we bit to fast / short .
Also it starts too sharply. Few frames of dissolving from black at the begining should make it smoother. IMHO

I like it's style and mood - nice tribute to the 90s and first 3D-rendered intros. (t only lacks that huge compression artifacts and bands instead of gradients ;-)

Racoon

I don´t know much about making Intros, but I just wanted to say that to me your Intro looks really nice. When watching it, I also got the feeling it would be better to hold it a little longer in the end it seems kind of an abrupt transition. And maybe a good looking Intro will also make people keep watching :)

Matti

+1

The intro is very nice but ends too abruptly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk