AdvXJam returns for 2021!

Started by Ali, Wed 07/10/2020 11:07:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

We're hosting another 2-week game jam starting on Nov 13th! If you're interested, join up here:

https://itch.io/jam/advxjam2021

Teams and individuals are welcome. Any engine and any interpretation of narrative game is cool with us.

Stupot

Sounds great. I definitely won’t have time but I’ll be looking forward to seeing the games.

Stupot

Bumping this as it starts tomorrow. Who’s entering?

VampireWombat

I have every intention of it. Though I can't say 100% until the theme is announced.

VampireWombat

The theme was announced 4 1/2 hours ago. I have a voice actor for the main character and the main idea and starting point for the game already figured out.

Hope to see others from here join in.

deadsuperhero

I think I'm going to try for the first time this year! I like the theme a lot...after such a crappy year, it would be nice to focus on people trying to have a good time.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

heltenjon

I guess this thread is a place to discuss the games in the jam. I've tried a few of them. Didn't try the two non-narrative games that were submitted and removed.

Elia, Ilaria & the Kids Having a Good Time at the Sea (or at least they try) has its own thread here.
Great game - highly recommended.

Duty First also has its own thread here.
Another great game - highly recommended. (These two games can get their comments in their own threads.)

The shop of good memories is a small feel-good-piece with limited interaction. I can see why some people may like this kind of thing, but it's not my cup of tea. Basically, you click on objects to read some nice memory, and you can write in your own.

The Party Line is a text adventure where you click instead of type. It's actually great fun with some nice puzzles. You walk around in a mansion where there is a huge party going on, trying to find and steal treasures. Along the way, you have to solve or create problems for the partygoers who get in your way.

SCART Insertion Happy Time Adventure 2020 is a joke game in text adventure (typing) form. It's realistic, I'll give it that. But not very funny, IMO. My greatest problem was that it didn't run in Edge, but once I tried in Chrome, it worked fine. Very short - playtime a minute or two, perhaps.

A Further Shore is one of these choose your path tales, or visual novels. The player needs to escape from a mysterious island. The whole game may or may not be read metaphorically. There's decent writing here, so this is not a bad piece if you like this kind of thing, but I doubt it will convert those who are not into the genre.

There're 43 games submitted. I'd be happy to read anyone else's recommendations.

lorenzo

I haven't played many games from the jam, but one I recommend is Hair of the Dog (link).
It's very well-made and I found it quite funny. There's also a nice mechanic involving different times of the day. Definitely worth play!

guga2112

I'll try to try (heh) them all, but I'm not a great fan of text adventures, so I'll be playing the graphical ones first.

By now, Hair of the dog is the best. Surprisingly good in everything - art, humor, puzzles, voice acting. I also liked Intergalactic Wizard Force, it has a nice He-Man & the Masters of the Universe vibe.

Oh, and of course Elia and Duty First. Because AGS games are the best ones  :-D :-D :-D

VampireWombat

I haven't played any of the games yet since there was an unofficial extension given and I'm still working on my game.

But I did see a couple of minutes of Hair of the Dog being streamed yesterday and echo that it should be played.

Monsieur OUXX

The jam doesn't have a very good visibility in regards to the outcome. How do I see all the games that were produced, apart from the handful of links kindly provided by heltenjon?

VampireWombat

I haven't played it yet either, but I did see a Twitch stream interview of the maker of Swarm of the Plague Babies and it sounds odd and interesting. Charbert also made Yorkshire Gubbins.

Despite issues I had yesterday, I'm still being prodded to finish my game.

Ali

BUMP!

Since Covid has scuppered our hopes of running an in-person AdventureX in 2021, we're holding another narrative game jam starting on Nov 13th! If you fancy it, sign up here:

fernewelten

Quote from: Ali on Tue 21/09/2021 22:45:54
Since Covid has scuppered our hopes of running an in-person AdventureX in 2021, we're holding another narrative game jam starting on Nov 13th!

By the bye … you could even have a game jam in those years where you do have an in-person convention.  8-)

It would offer lots of possibilites. You could jam after the convention and use the convention to advertise the jam. Or conversely, jam before the convention and use the convention to present the jam games in some way.

Cassiebsg

How does one submit an entry to the Jam?  ???
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Upload the game to Itch.Io and then there's a page for submitting the game on the jam's Itch page.

Cassiebsg

Ah, okay, thanks.
Don't have itch.io, so no Jam for me.  :)
Good luck to all those who enter though.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

fernewelten

OTOH, I don't do Discord, so I might contribute a submission, but there's nothing where I could sign up beforehand.

So if a submission comes, expect it to be a huge surprise.  8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk