How to find a job during quarantine?

Started by souza13alex, Thu 08/10/2020 11:09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

souza13alex

Guys, today because of the epidemic a lot of businesses are closing down, how do you manage to have a stable income? Which professions are most in demand now?

arj0n

In my country, 2 sectors aren't hit that hard: the ICT and the medical sector. The former is the most stable one of the two.

KyriakosCH

Before the Event ( ;) ) my income came mostly from lit translation and seminars in public or private education programs. Now it comes from online seminars.
But if you didn't have ties to employers prior to the Event, it will be more difficult...
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

milkanannan

I’m also looking for professional options, and have been trying to find online networking options. I came across meetcafecito.com, but it’s mostly tech industry.

KyriakosCH

There are a number of large online seminar hosts, though I haven't used them by now - cause up to now my online seminars are in Greek.
I may try creating one in English :)

Cassiebsg

It all depends on what your work field is, where you live and what your options are.

Just keep looking, sending CVs and be persistent in the search. Remember that you can, and should, be sending unsolicited applications to jobs, as well as jobs that are posted.

And good luck on the search!  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 10/10/2020 17:32:56
Remember that you can, and should, be sending unsolicited applications to jobs, as well as jobs that are posted.

Really? I suppose it depends on what sort of job you're looking for, at what sort of workplace. Most of the places I've worked, it simply isn't possible to hire someone without a posted opening. (The exception is at university, where a department or of lab could sometimes create a position if they were approached by someone they really wanted.)

Cassiebsg

Private sector, seems to be general rule. Sometimes you can be lucky to just apply to a job they've just realized they need, but haven't posted it yet. In that case they look at those they have received and, if anyone matches, then they may just call you, and avoid the hassle to open up a position and look through maybe hundred or more applications to select a handful. It's of course, no guarantee that you are going to hit them at just the right time, but over here (Denmark), about 70-80% of the jobs are filled up that way or thru knowing the "right guy/gal at the right place").

All government jobs are though always posted, they have to by law, so not much point in sending then unsolicited applications.

milkanannan

Maybe it would be an idea to start a thread where AGS’ers could share job leads that cross their path? I see UAE-based jobs pop up here from time to time that I could pass on.

milkanannan

Marcin K.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 09/10/2020 15:12:50
Before the Event ( ;) )
Did you get your food parcels? Remain indoors! ;)

Back to the topic:
I'm weird case because I barely noticed any difference as luckily my workplace is in my home and I make kids music videos for youtube and kids cable channels - the branch that wasn't hurt by "the event" at all.
Nontheless, If any of you, would give me some tips where I could look for oversees clients I'd be greatful.

KyriakosCH

Online work has sort of boomed with the Event. I am just too lazy to create stuff to take advantage of this :/

Marcin K.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 24/10/2020 09:21:36
Online work has sort of boomed with the Event. I am just too lazy to create stuff to take advantage of this :/
That makes two of us.

Danvzare

Quote from: Marcin K. on Fri 23/10/2020 23:24:38
I make kids music videos for youtube
Wait, are you the guy who makes those awful off-key slightly creepy nursery rhyme videos on youtube?

Marcin K.

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 24/10/2020 19:46:00
Wait, are you the guy who makes those awful off-key slightly creepy nursery rhyme videos on youtube?

I don't take responsibility for the musical part. I do only visuals. And my cartoons are less creepy than our competitors who hires Pakistani and Indian animators!

Blondbraid

Was already unemployed before Corona hit, and I don't have too high hopes now.

I've tried selling some stuff I've made on Etsy too, https://www.etsy.com/shop/GalateaDolls, but with only limited sucess.
I'm really hoping someone would buy a doll as a Christmas gift or similar, but I could use some help finding people interested
in handcrafted toys and collectibles.

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 16/11/2020 15:46:05

I've tried selling some stuff I've made on Etsy too, https://www.etsy.com/shop/GalateaDolls, but with only limited sucess.
I'm really hoping someone would buy a doll as a Christmas gift or similar, but I could use some help finding people interested

Why don't you spread awareness of your products by creating a few YouTube videos of how to make them?

Blondbraid

Quote from: milkanannan on Mon 16/11/2020 17:49:23
Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 16/11/2020 15:46:05

Why don't you spread awareness of your products by creating a few YouTube videos of how to make them?
I've thought about it, but I don't have much skills in making videos and editing them.
I've got an instagram account for the dolls though: https://www.instagram.com/galatea_dolls/

Cassiebsg

KyriakosCH

I am planning on creating some seminars on Goedel. After I first actually have stuff to "teach" - cause I haven't yet understood his theorems ^_^
Should be a good change from ancient philosophy or philosophical themes in literature, and my uni degree formally allows me to present such a seminar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk