steam game gone AWOL

Started by BarbWire, Mon 12/10/2020 21:20:16

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbWire

A few years back I bought the physical copy of ' Thief ' with ' The Bank Heist ' DLC,
which required the game to be installed via Steam. After completing the game I removed
it from my library. The other day I thought it would be nice to give it another try. Unfortunately,
when I went to Steam support, Thief was not listed. I attempted to use the disc, entering the
registration code and was informed that I already owned the game. (You don't say) I did
eventually manage to get an installation option appear even though it was grayed out but
was then directed to click on next, but there was no such option. I have retrieved other games from Steam
with no difficulty so cant understand why this is unattainable with Thief. Does anybody have any idea why this should be?

LimpingFish

Don't know if it's related, but you're not the first to experience something like this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/239160/discussions/0/2793873586765637735/

Apparently, clearing Steam's download cache is the answer.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Galen

Also make sure you didn't accidentally hide the game from your library.

BarbWire

Thanks for the steam link,LimpingFish. I tried this solution but to no avail. It is as if the game
was never on steam. It must have been though, because it says on the back of the box 'steam
powered.' As I said previously if i put the disc in and enter the registration key it informs me that
I already own this game. A friend has suggested that maybe steam no longer supports this game.
I suppose the only way I can find out is to use their customer support service or just say 'been there,
done that, and give up.

BarbWire

Hi Galen

Thanks for the reply. As I asked for the game to be completely removed from my library,
there is no chance of it being hidden. You can, of course, still install a game but when I
type 'Thief' into the relevant box it doesn't appear. 

arj0n

Is this the version of Thief on steam you're looking for?: https://store.steampowered.com/app/239160/Thief/

also, you can manually check if the game is installed (or has leftovers) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\

Galen

Asking for it to be removed from your account instead of merely hidden is kind of on you. Removed from your account means removed from your account. The registration key can no longer work since it's been voided by use.

The game still shows here https://store.steampowered.com/app/239160/Thief/ provided it hasn't been region-locked where you are, and provided you don't have search filters that are blocking it.

Repurchasing it would be the only further course of action.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Galen on Wed 14/10/2020 01:16:33
Asking for it to be removed from your account instead of merely hidden is kind of on you. Removed from your account means removed from your account. The registration key can no longer work since it's been voided by use.

This is true, and if this is the case, then, yes, repurchasing is the only option. Having said that, accidentally asking for a game to be permanently removed is virtually impossible, as a number of steps are required (as opposed to simply uninstalling or hiding a game), and Steam informs you that the game will indeed be gone for good.

If Barbwire asked for it to be removed permanently, my only question would be...why? :-\

Khris

Quote from: BarbWire on Tue 13/10/2020 09:55:38As I asked for the game to be completely removed from my library
As opposed to simply uninstalling it...?

Click'd

The scorched earth method of saying "I am done with you".

Danvzare

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 14/10/2020 01:33:13
If Barbwire asked for it to be removed permanently, my only question would be...why? :-\
I'm going to be "that guy" and say that if you've ever played that latest Thief game having played any of the previous three games beforehand, then it's obvious why you'd want it removed permanently.

BarbWire

Hi arj0n

The game does, indeed, have leftovers in the form of configurations, which proves it was installed through Steam.

To everybody else

The reason I asked for the game to be removed permanently is because I had no intention of playing it again. However,
three years down the line I changed my mind and decided to give it another go.
Even though a game has supposedly been permanently removed from Steam you can, in fact, still restore it. You go to
'help' - 'steam support' - 'how can we help' -'search issues features and games'  type the game you have removed in the
large box at the bottom of the page and you are given the option to restore. As 'Thief' does NOT appear when I do this,
then the game is no longer accessible.
There is no way I would buy the game again and so have decided not to bother
These days I just buy from the Steam store, and physical copies are a thing of the past. I have enough discs scattered
around the place to build a house. I would have liked to give away games but nobody could have played them because
Steam makes this impossible. The discs do look rather nice on the garden fence, though, when they are caught in the
light of the summer sun. The colours produced are lovely.  :-D

LimpingFish

Quote from: BarbWire on Wed 14/10/2020 19:30:06
The reason I asked for the game to be removed permanently is because I had no intention of playing it again.

Fair enough. Still seems a little drastic to me (hiding the game would have had much the same result, without losing access to it), but I do have a Steam library of over six and a half thousand games, so what do I know? :X

BarbWire

And so ....... Let the one upmanship begin.  ;)

Babar

No, I don't think anyone here can beat LimpingFish's "score"  :tongue:
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Danvzare

Quote from: Babar on Thu 15/10/2020 16:49:18
No, I don't think anyone here can beat LimpingFish's "score"  :tongue:
I don't know if it counts, but I'm fairly sure I've played more games than LimpingFish owns on Steam.
Although my Steam list is nowhere near that close (but I do know someone who knows someone who has closer to 10,000).

Quote from: BarbWire on Wed 14/10/2020 19:30:06
There is no way I would buy the game again and so have decided not to bother
Good choice. Have you played any of the Dishonored games? Or maybe The Dark Mod? I think you'd enjoy those a lot more if you wanted a newer Thief experience.

morganw

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/10/2020 17:01:34
Or maybe The Dark Mod? I think you'd enjoy those a lot more if you wanted a newer Thief experience.
I like Thief and I tried this a few months ago, and to me it all felt a bit wrong (mechanically).
The closest thing I've played is Neon Struct, although inconsistencies with the audio levels let it down a bit.

BarbWire

Hi Guys
Thanks for suggesting games I might like to play, as an alternative to 'Thief'
I will check them out.

Danvzare

Quote from: morganw on Thu 15/10/2020 18:00:59
Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/10/2020 17:01:34
Or maybe The Dark Mod? I think you'd enjoy those a lot more if you wanted a newer Thief experience.
I like Thief and I tried this a few months ago, and to me it all felt a bit wrong (mechanically).
The closest thing I've played is Neon Struct, although inconsistencies with the audio levels let it down a bit.
Yeah, The Dark Mod does feel wrong mechanically. My father hates it because of that. But I got used to it, and so did my sister. I completely understand what you mean though.
I've never heard of Neon Struct though, I'll have to give that a shot.
Also, for one last suggestion, Thievery.  It's a mod for Unreal Tournament, that provides a multiplayer Thief experience. If you think The Dark Mod feels wrong, you're going to absolutely hate Thievery. But it is a surprisingly fun multiplayer game, despite it's clunkiness.

lorenzo

The Dark Mode is well done and it's an incredible effort for a free mod. There are some interesting ideas in it, but I agree that it does take a while to get used to it -- and some design choices they made are a bit strange.

Dishonored is fun, but its stealth systems are quite basic compared to the original Thief games.

I've never played Neon Struct, for some reason I find its graphics really unappealing. Also, its setting doesn't seem very interesting to me, especially compared to Thief atmospheric city.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk